PDA

View Full Version : fresh meat

swerv
16-10-2007, 09:01 PM
does anyone feed their kittens fresh meat?

is cooked chicken ok for kittens or is it a no no?

got them well trained to come to us for treats and going to start using chicken instead of the off the shelf cat treats as feel chicken would better for them....

any views on this?

thanks

Jac
16-10-2007, 09:03 PM
I feed mine fresh cooked chicken. They love it:lol:

swerv
16-10-2007, 09:09 PM
excellent, did you feed them it from kittens mine are 14 weeks now...

i thought chicken because it isnt to dry

borderdawn
16-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Mine eat chicken cooked, raw beef and lamb too.
Dawn.

Jac
16-10-2007, 09:13 PM
From the day I got them. As long as it's off the bone.

swerv
16-10-2007, 09:14 PM
raw beef? can you feed them this?

this is just a suppliment as they eat the dry food(also chicken flavour lol)

swerv
16-10-2007, 09:16 PM
From the day I got them. As long as it's off the bone.

yes bought them loads of chicken wings today

Jac
16-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Its part of a raw diet. Some people feed it as a full diet. I use Chicken as a treat. I feed pouches and they have dried food down all the time. Just help them selfs to it.

There area few different diets you can feed. It's really down to you.

babycakes
16-10-2007, 09:22 PM
I feed mine fresh and raw meat but only have done from about 6mths (is that when they swap to adult food from kitten? can't remember) Anyway mince, beef, chicken, lamb and pork. I have only fed cooked liver and kidney tho (didn't really like that though). I and a few people I know think it stops kittens being hyper cos there are no additives as in cat food. Can also stop dogs from smelling (coats and bums) because of the same.

dandysmom
16-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Mine have always had cooked chicken as a treat, even when fairly young (three months). Raw beef as a birthday treat. I've never tried raw chicken wings.

Kay
16-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Cooked chicken is fine as a treat. They will love it. Make sure you feed a good quality cat food as well. Cats need a lot of amino acids and just feeding meat whether cooked or raw can't provide the amounts they need. Their dietary requirements are a lot more complex than dogs who can quite happily thrive on a sensible raw diet. For instance cats need Taurine and if this isn't in an adequate amount then they can suffer heart problems, among over things, which can be fatal. Meat alone does not contain enough Taurine for them.

babycakes
16-10-2007, 09:48 PM
I didn't realise you meant only raw/fresh meat. I don't do that with Denis he has them as occasional treats and has cat food dry and wet daily.

Kay
16-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I didn't realise you meant only raw/fresh meat. I don't do that with Denis he has them as occasional treats and has cat food dry and wet daily.
I think Swerv did mean as treats. I just thought I would point out the dangers of feeding purely meat. ;)

dandysmom
16-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Cooked chicken is fine as a treat. They will love it. Make sure you feed a good quality cat food as well. Cats need a lot of amino acids and just feeding meat whether cooked or raw can't provide the amounts they need. Their dietary requirements are a lot more complex than dogs who can quite happily thrive on a sensible raw diet. For instance cats need Taurine and if this isn't in an adequate amount then they can suffer heart problems, among over things, which can be fatal. Meat alone does not contain enough Taurine for them.

And another serious problem with lack of taurine is blindness! I assumed you meant raw food occasionally as a treat! Mine have always had wet as primary food and occasional dry.

babycakes
16-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I think Denis is just plain spoilt really!!

Jac
16-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Well he's in good company with the rest of ours!!!

babycakes
16-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Well he's in good company with the rest of ours!!!

Too true :lol: :lol:

Kay
16-10-2007, 10:12 PM
And another serious problem with lack of taurine is blindness! I assumed you meant raw food occasionally as a treat! Mine have always had wet as primary food and occasional dry.
Yes blindness is another problem associated with a lack of Taurine. Mine have Royal Canin dry food. Persians have a tendency towards sensitive tummies and I have always found, except Tilly who has a stomach of steel, that wet food doesn't agree with them. It's like people though what suits one doesn't suit another and as long as you can work out what is right for yours then they should be fine.

Fran
16-10-2007, 10:57 PM
raw beef? can you feed them this?

If you feed raw beef, you must freeze it first which kills a certain baceria that can be present in it...

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=18653&page=2

Some of my cats have raw meat and I have no hesitation feeding it to kittens but I only use it as a supplement to their normal food.

dandysmom
16-10-2007, 11:34 PM
If you feed raw beef, you must freeze it first which kills a certain baceria that can be present in it...

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=18653&page=2

Some of my cats have raw meat and I have no hesitation feeding it to kittens but I only use it as a supplement to their normal food.

Eeek, I didn't know that, thanks! Raw steak has always been a birthday treat for mine, guess I've been lucky. Frozen first from now on!

swerv
17-10-2007, 12:36 PM
thanks for all the advice . Yes it will only be treats not main diet they have hills dry food twice a day . Thanks

borderdawn
17-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Twice? They may well need a lot more than that at their age, at least 3 or 4 times while they are babies.

Kay
17-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Mine have dried food down all the time. As Dawn says your babies should have 3-4 meals a day at their age or to leave it down for them to 'graze' at it. That is what I recommend the new owners of my kittens do and there has never been a problem. Did the breeder not give you a sheet on how they were used to being fed?

swerv
18-10-2007, 07:28 AM
yes they have it down all day to eat as they like as they dont eat all at once . We fill it up twice a day though . They never go without food though lol

borderdawn
18-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Sounds good Swerv, best of luck.
Dawn.

xxTigerxx
22-10-2007, 06:16 PM
mine have iams dried food

Kay
23-10-2007, 03:29 PM
yes they have it down all day to eat as they like as they dont eat all at once . We fill it up twice a day though . They never go without food though lol
That sounds purrfect ;) . I am sure they will grow into healthy cats who adore their meaty treats:lol: .

Donna
23-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Chloe loves raw chicken which she gets as a treat.. not tried any other raw meat tho as wasnt sure which ones were safe.

MrsH
23-10-2007, 05:59 PM
We're just trying chicken wings today for the first time. The cats look very puzzled! They're 2 years old now, I never thought of doing it before. I was in Sainsburys earlier and as they were only £1.16 for a box (11wings) I thought I'd give it a go. I'll let you know later if they get round to eating them!

MrsH
23-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Oh well, that was a dead loss! absolutely no interest whatsoever. They had plenty of opportunity, I've only just cleared the chicken up. Maybe I'll try again another day.

Donna
23-10-2007, 10:15 PM
I tried chicken wings and mine turned their noses up too.... but Chloe does like some raw sliced breast meat... think they were just too disgusted at having to bite their meat off the bone!!! Pampurred pusscats!!

MrsH
23-10-2007, 10:23 PM
After a while I trimmed some of the meat off the bone to see if that would tempt them, without result. I probably expected this to be honest, they're 2 years old now and had never seen raw before.

dinahsmum
24-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Are you feeding the wings at room temperature? I leave mine out of the fridge for several hours before offering it. Remember if they were eating 'natural' raw meat it would be likely to be freshly hunted/killed and therefore at blood temperature. That would probably make it smell more appetising and have a better 'mouth-feel' (as the food technologists say!). Now the weather is colder I would consider putting the wings in a plastic container in another dish/sink/whatever filled with hot water, to bring the temperature of the meat up, without cooking it.
Persevere - it's nice watching them enjoy themselves with more natural food.

swerv
24-10-2007, 03:56 PM
the slight problem i have found is they now 'hold out' for the good stuff and not eating the right amount of dry food, they are going to have to learn that its not their main diet.....

MrsH
24-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the advice about temperature DM. Yesterday I served the chicken at room temperature, but your idea of warming it to better simulate blood temperature makes a lot of sense. I'll try again in a couple of days and see how it goes.

Kay
24-10-2007, 08:56 PM
the slight problem i have found is they now 'hold out' for the good stuff and not eating the right amount of dry food, they are going to have to learn that its not their main diet.....
This is why I very seldom offer mine any treats. I know it probably sounds mean but their diet is balanced so they don't need extras. Perhaps you should try a treat only occassionally.