PDA

View Full Version : cat or dog person?

smudgley
12-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Frans thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a man today. We hadn't spoke for a while & he was asking how I was etc & his wife asked how many cats I have, someone else said I had too many, & he was surprised I was a cat person & said this...(which is so true)

"when you get in from work a dog greets you with a toy & is so pleased to see you, they ask if you've had a good day & want to play! A cat looks at you in a disgusted way & asks what time do you call this?"

I think that is very true!

He also said cats can't give you the same affection a dog can, which I totally disagree with.

Elaine
13-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I too disagree about the affection part. I like the idea that cats are aloof and perhaps not as needy as dogs for our aproval. Some people prefer fish as pets rather than cats or dogs and I never used to get that. But over the last year or so I have become fascinated by fish and their behaviours. So its not all about being fluffy, cuddly or loyal.:D

Emm
13-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I've always had cats and dogs - and haver never understood the are you a cat person or a dog person. I think they both compliment each other perfectly, and I have a cat that is just like a dog - she greets us at the door with one of the dogs, plays fetch and walks to heel outside. The other dog does not greet us at the door, does not play fetch and does not walk to heel outside :lol: maybe the aliens switched them over one night :lol:

Elaine
13-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I've always had cats and dogs - and haver never understood the are you a cat person or a dog person. I think they both compliment each other perfectly, and I have a cat that is just like a dog - she greets us at the door with one of the dogs, plays fetch and walks to heel outside. The other dog does not greet us at the door, does not play fetch and does not walk to heel outside :lol: maybe the aliens switched them over one night :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yola
13-10-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm not a dog person because I have a bad allergy to them, plain and simple. However I do also have an fear of dogs - but I'm not sure if the two are related.

I never used to be a cat person either, the only pet's I'd had were hamsters and goldfish. But they've of grown on me big time in the last 10 years :D

dandysmom
13-10-2007, 08:00 PM
I am afraid of dogs. I'm simply not comfortable around them; they are so completely different in temperament from cats.

Fran
13-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I am afraid of dogs. I'm simply not comfortable around them; they are so completely different in temperament from cats.

Some dogs certainly are very different in temperament from cats. However, my Siamese and Orientals are definitely more dog like than cat like, seriously :)

dandysmom
13-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Oh, I quite agree about Siamese, and to some extent Abys, having some dog-like characteristics, but they are definitely cats! They don't have the unpleasant dog features, though......

Fran
13-10-2007, 08:44 PM
They don't have the unpleasant dog features, though......

Oh I don't know Eileen, the scars my body bears are not from my Labrador girls I can assure you, my Meezers have caused my scars! and Sylvester, well I'd rather tackle an angry rottie than him when he is a bad mood :shock:

dandysmom
13-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Sorrry, I wasn't referring to the tendency to bite or maul; it was other things. Think I'd better drop this as I'd hate to offend my dog owning friends here..!!

Fran
13-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Sorrry, I wasn't referring to the tendency to bite or maul; it was other things. Think I'd better drop this as I'd hate to offend my dog owning friends here..!!

I appreciate not everyone likes dogs Eileen and I for one would never take offence from someone who was scared/didn't like dogs. I'm just trying to illustrate really why there are doggie people out there who have the same feelings over cats, i.e. they are terrified of them :shock: I live with both and love them both equally but for very different reasons. I do appreciate there are people both scared of dogs and indeed cats. I do think a lot of how you feel comes down to your experiences whether that be cats or dogs

random
13-10-2007, 09:35 PM
I have to say I think I am more of a dog person and purely because they live to please you and are there for you when people are not. This is my own personal views as I have been let down a lot by humans and probably the main reason I got my first dog, for the companionship.

Although cats do offer companionship it is on their terms, and even the cuddliest cat can shun you if he is not in the mood. I have my cats more for the sheer fascination I have of them and their pure beauty.

I love both my cats and dogs dearly and i'd never be without at least 2 of each (obviously unless circumstances didn't permit) but I love them both for very different reasons.

I do have a friend who is very dog orientated, has kept rotties for years and years and he doesn't like cats for a lot of reasons. He says they just give him the creeps in general and thinks they are evil and cruel creatures because of how they catch and tease their prey, killing just for fun... I put mine on webcam sometimes to wind him up, haha (don't worry, it's all taken in good fun!) but the main reason he doesn't like them is because they kill birds, and he likes his garden birds. He says he could never develop a bond with a cat like he has with his dogs due to these reasons. Don't get me wrong, he would pet another person's cat and have a wee cuddle, but he would never go out and buy one for a pet of his own.

Kay
13-10-2007, 10:29 PM
I have both and have always grown up with both but I have always been more a cat person. It doesn't mean I love my three dogs any less than the 11 cats. I just can't explain it I am a definite cat person.