PDA

View Full Version : New law for vet perscription only drugs

catmadjax
12-10-2007, 10:54 PM
I found out a bit of useful info while surfing the web.

My cat Kitty has just stated having arthritis, i took her to the vet and she gave me seraquin, a suppliment for cats and dogs. However, she never told me it was a NON perscription drug and i paid £14.00 for 60 tabs! I have just found it on the net at £14.50 for 120 tabs, delivered free.

The other thing i came accross was the new legislation regarding perscriptions. Basically, a vet can no longer charge you for a perscription, and as far as i am away they can not refuse you one, as this is discrimination. Many perscription drugs are available in the UK over the internet, Many are HALF the price the vets charge.

its worth checking out, and when you have to have perscription only drugs (including flea treatments like frontline) why not ask for a perscription?;)

http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/prescription.asp

catmadjax
12-10-2007, 11:02 PM
HERE WE GO heres the rules, a vet cannot refuse to give you a free perscription.

http://www.vet2go.co.uk/questions___answers/questions___answers.html#5

Kay
13-10-2007, 11:04 AM
This has been inforce for quite sometime now. A good idea pointing it out. Frontline can now be got online without a prescription now anyway.

Kim
13-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Yes, we had a discussion about this a while ago. However, worth reminding everyone. ;)

Az
14-10-2007, 05:36 AM
They get these fees back by charging you a consultaion fee every 4 months tho! So if your pet needs regular meds they will say they need to see the pet every 4 months.

If you feel there is no real benefit to them doing that you can ask them to see the animal every six months.. but some won't have none of it!

One vet even slipped up and said now we get the money back via consultations! :evil:

For those of you who need regular medication for your animals - do your vets insist on a check-up every 4 or so months?

catmadjax
14-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Well, I did think of this, but My Kitty has to go in 3 times a year anyway for a T4 and geriatric blood test and I do claim two of the visits back on the insurance. Ive asked them to do me a perscription for 6 months of Frontline spot on Combo (the one that breaks the cycle of the fleas) because Kitty has a flea allergy. A 3 pack was £14.00 from the vets and a 6 pack was £19.00 online.

I pick the perscription up on Tuesday.

Because im insured it doesnt really make much difference to me however i do have a £50.00 excess on EACH condition EACH year (which makes me think its not worth it!)

catmadjax
14-10-2007, 08:46 AM
To be honest tho, if we go to the doctors we always have to go and see him every 6 months if we want a repeat perscription so its not unreasonable for them to request this, and if the consultation fee went up, then you should check if they have put it up JUST FOR YOU, or if its for the whole practice. If its just because you have had a perscription of them, then contact the RCVS as it states that also with the new legilation came a rule that they cannot discriminate against you by over charging.

Amber
14-10-2007, 09:50 AM
It is a legal requirement for many medications that animals have to be seen every 3 - 6 months. Depending on the medication that the animal is on, may depend on how often the animal needs to be seen.

Carole
14-10-2007, 11:10 AM
For those of you who need regular medication for your animals - do your vets insist on a check-up every 4 or so months?

Our vet insists on seeing the dog/cat etc every 3 months to enable prescriptions and POM (malaseb) to be given over the counter :( but it gets overlooked with Finn as in their own words "they see him often enough" :oops: Usually every 2 months or so.

borderdawn
14-10-2007, 11:46 AM
It is the law for Vets to re-examine a pet every 3 months before issuing repeat prescriptions. They used not to charge for this but because of the internet meds etc.. they now charge an examination or consultation fee, the Vets are doing very well out of tyhe "new" legislation!

Kay
14-10-2007, 09:22 PM
It is the law for Vets to re-examine a pet every 3 months before issuing repeat prescriptions. They used not to charge for this but because of the internet meds etc.. they now charge an examination or consultation fee, the Vets are doing very well out of tyhe "new" legislation!
Don't they usually :roll: .