PDA

View Full Version : might be a dumb question..

Tink
11-10-2007, 09:46 PM
but well, i'm a meowmy...

my five month old kuan yin sometimes plays until she is panting like a dog (there are always three bowls of water available around the house) and sometimes she gets what looks like the hiccups...
is it possible for a kitty to play too hard? i'm glad she's rambunctious cuz that means she's healthy but i just don't want the little thing to have a heart attack:lol:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Khaosinc/sweetbaby.jpg

Kay
11-10-2007, 09:50 PM
None of mine have ever done that but Persians are very laid back. I guess it is like us laughing so much that we cry. Just over excited I think.

dandysmom
11-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I've never seen that! Hope someone here knows.......

yola
11-10-2007, 10:08 PM
The only time one of my cats has been panting is when she got too hot (she's a persian with an exceptionally thick coat). Do you think Kuan Yin is overheating when she's tearing about?

Tink
11-10-2007, 10:24 PM
The only time one of my cats has been panting is when she got too hot (she's a persian with an exceptionally thick coat). Do you think Kuan Yin is overheating when she's tearing about?

could be...but she just keeps going and going...should i put her in her room to make her calm down..is it dangerous?

EmmaG
11-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Brownyn has done this before in the past but I have always put it down to the fact that as a carrier of the cat flu, she is always a bit snuffly (she has hardly any sense of smell) and isn't getting enough oxygen.

dandysmom
11-10-2007, 10:45 PM
It might ease your mind to give the vet a ring and ask......

Grete
11-10-2007, 11:38 PM
I think it's just a feature of her tearing around and getting a but out of breath, kittens have a lot of energy - as she gets older, she'll have shorter periods of flying around as by nature they are play/hunt for a short time and sleep a LOT ;)

Bubbles had a couple of episodes like that when she was still a youngster and we just let her calm down and she was fine.

Never hurts to ask a vet tho and I could well be wrong :)

random
11-10-2007, 11:44 PM
The only time any of mine have ever panted is once when Jennie was scared of the hoover. :roll:

She's now deliberately removed before any cleaning commences! :lol:

I'd take her to the vet hun she could have kitty athsma or similar, I know dogs can get it...

babycakes
12-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Denis has only had it when he is too hot (very hot day) none of my other cats have had it though. I would ask at the vets just to make sure she is ok medically prob nothing but it would ease your mind a bit

Amber
13-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Open mouth breathing as you describe is a sign in cats that they are really struggling to breathe. It is possible that she is wearing herself out so much that she has difficulty in breathing, much the same as us after a really long run!

It can also be a sign that they are not getting enough oxygen. That is always the first thing we see at the practice with cats that are dyspnoeic (have difficulty breathing) or who are in shock or extremely distressed after a trauma of sorts. If a cat is spotted doing this, they are administered with oxygen straight away.

It is probably a good idea to not let her wear herself out to the point where she is open mouth breathing, as this can be damaging to a cats health.

A quick check with the vet may be worthwhile too, just to make sure that there is no medical reason for her doing this :)