PDA

View Full Version : OSH kitten peeing on bed - any thoughts

Anna
08-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi, I'm new here and I stumbled on the site by looking for answers for the problem stated above. After a 5 year hiatus I decided to get a cat again and have recently gotten an OSH lilac kitten. I've done my research thoroughly beforehand and most breeders recommended getting 2 cats if we were out of the house a lot as orientals/siamese can feel lonely and misbehave when they do.
I've had Leeloo for almost 2 weeks now and she is almost 18 weeks old. She was litter trained when I got her and behaved SOOOO well on the trip: not a wee or a poop during the whole 7hrs trip back from the breeders. She's been using the litter box regularly... a real dream.
Unfortunately, Thursday she peed on the clean laundry basket and on Friday, on my son's bed. The weekend was OK as we were all home most of the time but today she did it again: waited till my son got home from school at lunch time and as soon as he opened his room door, she went on the bed.
I am wondering if that is the misbehaving due to boredom that was mentioned ? I'm getting her a playmate but not until October 25th.... I'm afraid she is going to make a habit of it and then I won't be able to break her out of it...

Any suggestions/insights ??? Getting the down comforters washed is neither easy, convenient or cheap....

Thanks for your insights. Anna

dinahsmum
08-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Anna - welcome to Catsey (and sorry you join us with a problem :roll: )
Could Leeloo have a urinary infection? That is the first thing to consider with inappropriate urination. Or maybe, as she is getting heavier, her litter is no longer comfortable underfoot? I can't imagine walking barefoot over scratchy shingle to go for a wee - some hard litters must feel like that under a kitten's feet.
She could be stressed but hopefully not. A Feliway diffuser might help, or a drip of Bachs Rescue Remedy.
Here's a recent thread from someone with a similar problem http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=23859 and I'm sure other Catsey members will be along with their thoughts soon.
Good luck

Anna
08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the quick answer...
I've read the other thread and see that mine is not a unique case... I don't know whether to be relieved or depressed.. :?
I have an appointment at the vets on Wednesday morning so I will have a potential urinary track infection checked but she looks in great form so I don't think that's it.

She's got two litter boxes with two different types of litter to chose from: one is a self-cleaning automatic litter box with clumping litter, very soft but a little smelly.. (was very disappointed with that one! :oops:) and the other one is a normal box with the crystal litter... harder but no smell as I remove all solids everyday.

I'm still hoping it's just a matter of feeling lonely all day long and that the arrival of her playmate will solve that..
I've ordered some Feliway and cannot wait till it gets here... we'll see

Anna

Rosie
08-10-2007, 02:40 PM
To my shame :cry: I had a pair of rescue kittens that used to wee and poo on my bed all the time. I tried for six months but ended up taking them back with the hope that they could be rehomed to a farm or somesuch. I would take them out in the morning go back to bed and they would run back through the cat flap jump on to my bed then pee and poo even when I was in it! They had two litter trays access to the outside but I just couldn't stop them.

Sorry not being very helpful here it was a very low moment for me because I decided I would never have another cat after that experience but thankfully I now have my lovely Rosie and gorgeous little Alfie who are great. Never ever had that problem with any other cat either.

Nobody at the rescue had heard of the problem and I was never offered any advice from either them or my vet.

Jac
08-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi Anna
Looks like you have just about got all avenues sorted. Just a thought though.
I used to have a crystal litter, It crackled when the cats went for a pee and startled one quite a bit. Is it that kind? Could be poor wee kitty is afraid of the litter and gets caught short:oops: .
Good luck for Wednesday.

Grete
08-10-2007, 10:42 PM
I was thinking about this and can only really agree with the others about trying different litters. Another thought occurred to me and I wonder how confusing it is for a cat to have more than one litter tray (especially with different litters in). Is it possible to shut her in the room with the tray/s for a few days until she cottons on?

Just a couple of thoughts

Anna
09-10-2007, 05:35 AM
Hi Anna
Looks like you have just about got all avenues sorted. Just a thought though.
I used to have a crystal litter, It crackled when the cats went for a pee and startled one quite a bit. Is it that kind? Could be poor wee kitty is afraid of the litter and gets caught short:oops: .

Hi Jac, thanks for the reply...yes that would be the kind... she started peeing on the beds before I got this type of litter though... That's why I got it thinking that if I found the purforma litter box smelly, it must have been terrible for her. I found poos and pee in both so she still seems to be using both litter boxes.

Anna
09-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Hi Grete and thanks for the advice. I can lock her in the biggest room that has the self-cleaning litter. I just thought it would be hard on her, beeing left alone for several hours in a row and on top of that confined to one room...

The cleaners to whom I brought my duvets to wash them told me that 90% of people brought their duvets in to clean (including his) because their cats had peed on them... According to him, cats seem to enjoy peeing on down comforters...

Grete
09-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Hi Grete and thanks for the advice. I can lock her in the biggest room that has the self-cleaning litter. I just thought it would be hard on her, beeing left alone for several hours in a row and on top of that confined to one room...

Yeh I agree it's not an ideal or nice solution for her :( Was thinking outside the box (no pun intended!). Experimenting with different litters then is the best idea right now.

Hopefully when you get the other cat it will improve things drastically.

*hugs*

Kay
09-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Have you asked the breeder what litter she was used to? It might be worth trying what ever that one was. I always send my kittens with a bag of the litter they are used to. Fran may be able to give some advice beacause I know she has said that siamese and orientals are very fussy about what litter they use. Try pm'ing her. Good luck.

Anna
10-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks Kay, I think it is a great suggestion. I went to the vet this morning who doesn't think it is a urinary track infection but mentioned the same thing about her being fussy about the litter. I'm going to write to the breeders this morning and see what she says.
I made sure that she had the same food, toys, bedding... etc but did not think about the litter !!!:oops: Silly me.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions. Besides that small problem, she is adjusting fine, growing well (went from 900g to 1250g in 2 weeks) and is extra cuddly and playful. :smt023

We just love her to bits !!! :smt007

P.S. Kay, I don't understand what pm'ing means ... ?? Sorry !!!:oops:

dinahsmum
10-10-2007, 09:12 AM
HI again Anna. Glad there's no infection to worry about anyway. Hope the breeder is able to help with litter suggestions.
Kay isn't around at the moment, so I'll answer your PM question.
PM is a private message to a member. Look at the top right of the main screen and you will see the words Private Message in black, underlined. Click the link to go on to the PM page, put Fran in the 'recipients' box and send a message directly to Fran. It helps when people are in a rush and not reading everything, or where you only want to speak to one person rather than the world!
Good luck

Kay
10-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for explaining that Dinahsmum.

You aren't daft Anna but the slightest difference to what they are used to can make a big difference to they way they behave. If for some reason you don't like the cat litter the breeder used or have difficulty getting it then slowly change from that one to one that suits you. If your kitten is happy with it though I would be inclined to stick with it.

Good Luck.

Anna
11-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Hi everyone and thanks for all the helpful answers... I'm soo glad I stumbled on this site !!!":lol:

Last update, the breeder confirmed that Leeloo was used the fine clumping litter and that when she tried the crystal type with her cats, most of them would do their business outside the box....
I've kept both litter boxes with both types of litter as the other kitten I'm getting on October 25th is used to the crystal type, and I make sure to keep the self-cleaning box super clean to avoid the smell.
So far no other accidents (hope I didn't jinx myself with that one :roll: ) and I've kept the bedrooms door closed.

Thanks again to all of you for your helpful suggestions and I'll definitely keep logging in as there is tons more info and this forum is just a great place to interact with other cat lovers ..:smt023

Have a great day everyone. :smt039

Anna

Grete
11-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Yay that's fantastic Anna :) So pleased you've had a good result :) Fingers crossed for it continuing!

Please do keep coming back, we need pics and stories of your furbabies ;)

dinahsmum
11-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Pleased to hear your news Anna - and excited to hear of the new kitten! Just 2 weeks to go ..........

Kay
11-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Glad everything has cleared up now. How about some pics?

Anna
16-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I will certainly post some pics .... as soon as I've figured out how to proceed :oops:

:roll: I'm not usually so daft... seriously... just very new at this forum business... :p

Anna

Mags
16-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I will certainly post some pics .... as soon as I've figured out how to proceed :oops:

:roll: I'm not usually so daft... seriously... just very new at this forum business... :p

Anna
Hi Anna :D
If you need some assistance posting your pics, this link will help you ............

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

If you post them in "Your Cats Pictures" section, we will all be able to see them .......... good luck! :D

dinahsmum
16-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Is it tomorrow you get baby number 2 Anna?
Def. need to figure out how to post pics! :)

Anna
16-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi and thanks Mags for the instructions...

I'm proud to announce that I was able to follow them and ....POST some pics!!!:D

I will not be picking up the second baby till October 25th... but I did have some pics the breeder sent me so I posted some as well.

Will add more as soon as he gets home..

Anna

Mags
16-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi and thanks Mags for the instructions...

I'm proud to announce that I was able to follow them and ....POST some pics!!!:D

I will not be picking up the second baby till October 25th... but I did have some pics the breeder sent me so I posted some as well.

Will add more as soon as he gets home..
Anna
Well done Anna, I'm pleased you were able to post your pics..:D

Anna
26-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Hello,

Went to pick up Cúchulainn yesterday and brought him home. The poor love is super friendly and cuddly but was in a sorry state. He had to travel quite a bit to get to my house and had peed and pooped in the carrier box. It was so bad I had to give hime a bath as soon as we walked in the door... which is probably why he peed on the living room floor a while later (Oh God, I hope I didn't get two cats that pee outside of the box!!)

Unfortunately, and contrary to my foolish expectations ...:? Leeloo was far from happy to have a new playmate. She's been hissing and yowling at him and running away to hide as soon as she hears or sees him. She hisses at me too after I touch the other cat.... What a disappointment!!
Cúchulainn is very friendly and does not seem fazed out by this behaviour, he just runs around, goes to people to get petted, and ignores her when she hisses.

I'm keeping them separated when I'm not at home, have given both of them a little Bach's rescue remedy (Feliway hasn't arrived yet), doubled the feeding dishes and water bowls, and the litter trays.... but I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. If I continue to keep them separated, Leeloo will never get used to him... and I'm worried that if she keeps hiding, she will not eat or drink enough.

I have to go away this weekend...(an emergency that came up) and asked my sister who lives next door to keep an eye on the kitties but I'm not sure whether to keep the new cat confined to his room and leave Leeloo have the rest of the house ... or to leave both of them loose in the house...

Suggestions please!! :cry:

dinahsmum
26-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi Anna - back with another baby and another problem eh? ;)
I wouldn't worry about the hissing. They will sort themselves out very quickly. I'm in a bit of a rush or I would post more .... but have a look at this thread
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=22975&highlight=cloth+door+frames+smell
to get an idea of 'smell transfer' which might help.
I'm sure they'll settle very soon
I'd personally not separate them for the weekend, unless their spats are unsettling to their minder.
Good luck

Kay
26-10-2007, 11:54 AM
A friend of mine recently bought a kitten from having already got one of my babies. The older cat was 10 months old and the kitten just 13 weeks. The new kitten was fine very much like Cúchulainn unfortunately Gucci reacted like Leeloo. Gucci would hiss and spit at Merlin but Merlin just ignored her and carried on playing and being friendly. Because there was no actual fighting my friend left them together. Slowly Gucci realised that all her hissing and spitting was getting her nowhere as Merlin continued to ignore it. Gucci then began to follow Merlin round and sniff him and as long as Merlin didn't look at her she was fine. Next stage was when Gucci initiated play with Merlin and since then they have been the best of friends. Gucci even sits at the bottom of the stairs and cries for Merlin to come down and play. This all took a period of about 4-5 days. I think if they had kept them apart it would have delayed the getting to know each other process.

Good Luck.

Grete
26-10-2007, 01:04 PM
I agree with DiM and Kay - I've just been through this with Bubbles and Fizz.

Best thing to do is just let them get used to each other so don't separate them. If anything, when you are out is the best time for them to get to know each other as there won't be any jealousy over you.

You will get hissing and growling and occasionally paws flailing but Leeloo is just letting you know she's not happy at this turn of events, but eventually their scents will mingle and she will forget she was an only cat.

Since Cuch is being a good boy and ignoring her antics, she will settle down much faster, especially when she realises nothing has changed except she has someone to play with.

Don't be too worried by Leeloo hissing at you, Bubbles did this and even smacked me and now she's fine with me and Fizz.

Anna
26-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies... I feel much better...

It's just that I was so sure that she would be happy to have a playmate... the higher the expectations... the harder the fall.

On top of that, I already have to play switcharoos between the cat and my boyfriend's jack russels when he is visiting... (cat in a locked room while the dogs are in the house... dogs outside or in the bathroom while the cat has the run of the house...etc) If I have to find another room to prevent the 2 cats from being together... I'll just go totally crazy :smt100

I just received my Feliway at lunch time today so I'll keep the Feliway plugged in and the cats together for the weekend and hope that there won't have been too many "accidents" by the time I get back.... :roll:

I will keep you guys posted.

Wish you all a great weekend. :p

tilly
26-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi Anna welcome to catsey.
I use tescos paper based cat litter which seems to be very good and soft as well.
hope the problem is sorted out soon
sally
ps hope the weekednd goes well adn you come back to friends!

Anna
28-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Hello,
Am back after the weekend and things seem a whole lot better... not quite friends yet but Leeloo can now stay in the same room as Cúchulainn and does not hiss at him constantly :p
This is a vast improvement !!! Thanks for suggesting to me to leave them be over the weekend, without separating them.... It was the right move !!!!:lol:

Thanks a bunch

Anna

Kay
28-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Glad things are getting better. They will be the best of friends before the end of the week I bet. Leeloo will forget herself and suddenly play with Cúchulainn and that will be that. That's what happened with Gucci and Merlin and they have never looked back.

Did you have a nice weekend?

Grete
28-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Glad to hear they are getting on better, it's worrying isn't it and then you start doubting yourself and whether you've done the right thing. Rest assured tho, they will find their own peace with each other and even if they don't become best of friends, will tolerate each other quite comfortably.

Hope you had a good weekend :)

Fran
28-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Glad all is going well! Sounds like they will be the best of friends in no time at all now :D

Anna
28-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Hi again,
The weekend was OK as far as working weekends go...

I just noticed that Cúchulainn seems to be missing part of some of his whiskers :o which means Leeloo must have gotten close enough to do it... ;) My other siamese kitty girl used to do that to the other cat I had at the time.... I was told it was maternal instinct (they were not related and she never had kittens!!) to prevent kittens from straying.... Anybody else ever heard that??? Or know of the reason??

Kay
28-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Never heard of that before but good news that Leeloo has obviously got that close. Didn't realise it was a working weekend. Never mind.

dinahsmum
29-10-2007, 10:17 AM
All's well.
Hope you can relax and enjoy them both now!