PDA

View Full Version : Thistle Seeds..

Moli
07-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I bought a bag of these for the birds, and had at least 13 finches on the tree this morning, 7 of which were Goldfinches...

dandysmom
07-10-2007, 08:48 PM
They really love thistle seed, don't they? I need to get a bag of that also now that cooler weather will be here soon.....

Moli
07-10-2007, 08:51 PM
They really love thistle seed, don't they? I need to get a bag of that also now that cooler weather will be here soon.....I did not know about them DM, just happened to notice them when I was getting bird seed:oops:

random
07-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Ohhh how much were they Moli if you don't mind me asking? I have never seen them before!

My friend sells them on ebay but for planting and growing though so in smaller batches.

Moli
07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
They are £2.49 for a 0.9 kg bag...

dandysmom
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Ohhh how much were they Moli if you don't mind me asking? I have never seen them before!

My friend sells them on ebay but for planting and growing though so in smaller batches.

Random. the thistle seed sold as bird food isn't actually a thistle, it's from a plant called the Nyjer plant, native to Ethiopia, so you don't need to worry about scattered seed growing as thistles in the garden! It's high in protein and fat and adored by finches. It's pricier than regular bird seed. Most places that carry regular bird seed have it......

random
07-10-2007, 09:43 PM
They are £2.49 for a 0.9 kg bag...

Thanx Moli, we get finches here anyway so may aswell get them what they like to eat! :lol: Especially now with winter coming in.

random
07-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Random. the thistle seed sold as bird food isn't actually a thistle, it's from a plant called the Nyjer plant, native to Ethiopia, so you don't need to worry about scattered seed growing as thistles in the garden! It's high in protein and fat and adored by finches. It's pricier than regular bird seed. Most places that carry regular bird seed have it......

Ohhhh the wee black seeds?

dandysmom
07-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Yes, that's it!

random
07-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Yes, that's it!

Oh we have those in a mix with sunflower hearts! :oops: :lol:
No wonder we have finches already! We were told they are high energy and good for winter! :D

dandysmom
07-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Oh, you do buy the good stuff for your birds! No wonder you have a lot of finches!

random
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh, you do buy the good stuff for your birds! No wonder you have a lot of finches!

lol, they are our most popular alongside bluetits, mind, house sparrows seem to have dwindled in numbers this year. :(

We have a seed catcher under the seed feeders anyway because the blue tits are the worst for picking them out and flinging them all over! :lol:

dandysmom
07-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Most of the time I have just sparrows, but as the weather cools I get chickdees, nuthatches and downy woodpeckers. The mourning doves are ground feeders, they eat what's spilled! And since I read that tip about sprinkling cayenne pepper on the bird seed (doesn't affect birds!), I no longer am plagued with squirrels eating the seed!!

random
07-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Most of the time I have just sparrows, but as the weather cools I get chickdees, nuthatches and downy woodpeckers. The mourning doves are ground feeders, they eat what's spilled! And since I read that tip about sprinkling cayenne pepper on the bird seed (doesn't affect birds!), I no longer am plagued with squirrels eating the seed!!

Oh I will have to try that, we have greys here occasionally, we don't mind so much but they do break the feeders and that is obviously a pain in the butt! :roll:

dandysmom
07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh I will have to try that, we have greys here occasionally, we don't mind so much but they do break the feeders and that is obviously a pain in the butt! :roll:

It works! The adult greys catch on very quickly and leave the feeder alone; the young ones have to learn..... and they do! They are such pests...one actually chewed thru the plastic of a former feeder!!!

random
07-10-2007, 10:31 PM
It works! The adult greys catch on very quickly and leave the feeder alone; the young ones have to learn..... and they do! They are such pests...one actually chewed thru the plastic of a former feeder!!!

Cheers for that, will give it a shot!

Moli
07-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Thats one thing we do not get here, there are some squirrels both red and grey, but they do not come into the garden...Had a few mice on the feeders though...

Kazz
07-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Have to start feeding the birds again soon with the weather getting cooler. Maybe by the end of the month. Yes I get finches with the Niger seeds.

dandysmom
07-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Thats one thing we do not get here, there are some squirrels both red and grey, but they do not come into the garden...Had a few mice on the feeders though...

If the mice become a pest on the feeder the cayenne pepper should work for them too: only mammals have taste receptors for capsaicin... (sp?) Birds don't.

Moli
07-10-2007, 10:57 PM
If the mice become a pest on the feeder the cayenne pepper should work for them too: only mammals have taste receptors for capsaicin... (sp?) Birds don't.
Thanks for that info DM, I learn something new all the time on here:) ;)

dandysmom
07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks for that info DM, I learn something new all the time on here:) ;)

One of the things I love about this place! Always something new to learn, so many people willing to share information! :D

Moli
07-10-2007, 11:27 PM
http://wwwdogsey.com/pics/12570P1000967.JPG

dandysmom
07-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Lovely pic! And thru the window!

Moli
07-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Lovely pic! And thru the window!
Thanks DM, it has come out well, even through the window, Love those little birds, stand and watch them for ages...:)

dinahsmum
08-10-2007, 08:57 AM
That's lovely Moli. The niger seeds certainly attrach the finches.
I haven't fed the birds since spring. Bentley is a great hunter ...... Also, I saw a rat under the feeder last winter. Eeek. :shock: So, I am in two minds as to whether to resume feeding. If I start now I will have to continue through the bad weather as it is unfair to become a food-source then withdraw it. Oh, a dilemma. :?

Jac
08-10-2007, 09:57 AM
And since I read that tip about sprinkling cayenne pepper on the bird seed (doesn't affect birds!), I no longer am plagued with squirrels eating the seed!!
That's a good tip, thanks Eileen. We are inundated with squirrels this year for some reason. When we were away a couple of weeks ago Darryle said one was on the window ledge:shock: