PDA

View Full Version : kitten weight

swerv
06-10-2007, 01:52 PM
does anyone have a guide to what a kitten should weigh between as they are growing up?

i dont want overweight cats, we took them to the vets today for the their 2nd lot of jabs and the weighed in at 1.9kg , they are 13 weeks old now.

they are going to be large cats when they get older but dont want them to be fat.

thanks

Mags
06-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Weight varies from one cat to another but this link will give you an idea as to what weight to expect in an adult cat .............. just pick out your breed of cat from the list ......

http://www.petsgetslim.co.uk/site-media/images/modules/advice/Cat_weights.pdf

borderdawn
06-10-2007, 06:36 PM
BSH are heavy Cats, play it by ear as they are growing, being a big breed they NEED a lot of food. Once they are adults you will see if they are putting on too much weight, id worry about it should that time come and not for now. :)
Dawn.

Kay
06-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Weights definitely vary from one kitten and one breed to another. They need a good quality food and plenty of it to reach their full growth potential. If you start restricting them now they may not develop as thier breed normally do. At this age I certainly wouldn't worry as long as they are healthy and lively. Their energetic play will work any surplus off. Just let the grow for the time being and don't worry. Time will come to keep an eye on them, if they do need it, when they are adults.

swerv
06-10-2007, 10:54 PM
thanks for the replys, we feed them the hills science plan dry food, i didnt want to feed them limited food for the reasons above, the vet seems to think that we should keep an 'eye' on them.

we give them 50g of dry food a day each and the odd treat during the day, we do this to train them.

thanks again

Kay
06-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Vets can get a bit hung up on the weight of pedigree kittens/cats as on the whole the tend to deal with domestic cats. Some of the pedigree breeds like yours, Persians etc are big cats and vets don't seem to take this into account. A lady who bought two of my kittens had the same problem with her vet. He had her going to weight clinics and on special food. When she told me I fliped. They are now back on the normal food and don't go to the weight clinic and are two normal healthy Persians. He had really frightened her not to say got a fair amount of unneccessary fees out of her. Unfortunately a lot of vets are in it for the money not the vocation it should be.

swerv
06-10-2007, 11:05 PM
yeh our kittens look like proper BSH, they are big and chunky but dont look fat at all, i only want whats best for them and for them to grow into healthy strong cats!!

Kay
06-10-2007, 11:09 PM
They sound perfectly normal to me. Your doing a good job. Got any latest pics.

swerv
08-10-2007, 01:47 PM
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?p=428677#post428677

uploaded some tday

borderdawn
08-10-2007, 07:57 PM
My Cats have access to food all day, always have had. BSH do need a lot of food when growing, my kitten is curently eating one tin of Tuna or Sardines, one half Can of Felix and Royal Canin/Hills Natures best as and when he pleases.

Jac
08-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Mine get three half pouches a day each, and dry food which is out all the time.

Kay
09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Seen the pics they look absolutely fine and definitely not fat. Keep doing what you are and perhaps think about changing your vet.