PDA

View Full Version : Do you cut your cats nails?

Jane
04-10-2007, 09:23 PM
I think most people do but am just curious..

We have never cut Patch's but I look at them and I want to cut them lol..they are quite long and look lethal :lol: so should I cut them or is there no point/shouldn't be done cos it's bad for some reason?

I think I would be okay cutting them - would I just cut off as much as I can until I get to the quick? (thinking of piggy nail cutting here! ;))

Jane

dandysmom
04-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Jane, here's a link to an article about claw clipping that I think you'll find helpful! It even has an illustration of the quick so you can avoid it/
All of mine had their claws clipped at intervals except Patches, who went utterly hysterical, screamed bloody murder and thrashed like an eel....wasn't worth the struggle! :roll: Leia dislikes it, can only do one or two before she's had enough! Good luck!
http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm

babycakes
04-10-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't cut Denis' when he goes out he scatches them down a bit. I feel his are as long as they need to be, (incase he needs to use them for defense.)

random
04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
No I don't, they scratch the shells off on the cat tree but I never cut them, only cut the kittens so they didn't scratch mum when feeding.

CathyW
04-10-2007, 09:44 PM
used to cut barnabys as he has extra sharp talons which he used to loved wreaking the rugs, and totally ignore the cat tree, but R n R are good, and their claws are pretty short.
barnany was good he just sat there n let OH cut them.

Mags
04-10-2007, 10:09 PM
The vet cuts Cassie's claws when I take her for her annual booster ........ no way would she let me do it, she would struggle too much and I would be scared I'd cut too much off.:D She also cuts the dew claw as they are not worn down at all...

Grete
04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I actually manage to cut Bubbles', although she whines constantly as if I'm doing something *really* nasty to her but we get it done ;) If I don't keep them trimmed, she gets caught up on chairs and the bed and then yanks to get them free and she ends up sore.

MrsH
05-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I've never trimmed the nails of any of the cats we've had. I didn't even know it was common practice. Ours have scratching posts indoors and also use various trees in the garden. I've never had a cat damage any of our furniture but some of them have attacked carpets!

dinahsmum
05-10-2007, 09:04 AM
I have only ever cut nails when the 'old girls' were very old and didn't exercise/scratch enough to keep them in trim. They were mostly indoor cats then and they had never used a scratch post.
I would be quite suprised if Patch needed to have his claws trimmed - he is just a young boy and he has the opportunity to scratch outside to wear his claws down.
Remember if you do cut the tips off you remove your cat's defense system and the chance for them to climb to escape trouble.

sarahd
05-10-2007, 10:32 AM
I do my cats nails on a regular basis from being kittens so they get used to it. With mine being indoor cats they dont tend to be as hard and are usually easier to cut

Sarah
x

Kay
05-10-2007, 11:19 AM
I cut all mine as they are all indoor cats and need their tips clipped for showing. In fact I was cutting them just last night. Most of mine are easy to do but Cory and Ruby can be a bit tricky. If you don't clip them please keep an eye on them because they don't always scratch them enough or evenly. I knew of a cat that seemed to scratch regularly but some how she must have been missing one claw on one foot because it grew all the way round and embedded itself in her paw pad. This had to be removed by the vet and then she had to have antibiotics. Also the dew claws need to be kept down.

Grete
05-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Remember if you do cut the tips off you remove your cat's defense system and the chance for them to climb to escape trouble.

Heheh trust me, even with the tips removed, they can climb and defend themselves. I have the scratches to prove it :roll:

I tend to only do the front ones too so the back ones are still intact to help with normal kitty activities.

As always, all cats are different and some need to have their claws tended to while others never do.

charliebubs
05-10-2007, 02:02 PM
I clip the front claws of all of my furbabes. :)

dandysmom
05-10-2007, 03:57 PM
I've never clipped the back claws. just the front.

Elaine
05-10-2007, 08:03 PM
I used to clip Winstons but the Diva goes mental, even the vets cannt clip hers, they say she should be sedated but I wont have her sedated unless its absolutely necessary. Bernie is just way to wriggly, so I dont do his either but he's no bother at the vets.

Kazz
05-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Never touched Oscars but in Cleo's last year (she hardly went out then) I cut her claw no problem at all but she was 24+ not sure how I would have fared when she was younger.

Darky
06-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Nope, no need to. Honey doesn't do any damage to me or the furniture, so it simply doesn't need to be done (luckily.)

Soupie
06-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Yes - as mine are indoor cats they don't wear them down.

John
08-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I have never done any of the cats I have had..didnt know any one done it ..I have had no trouble with Millie scatching the furniture although she does have a go at the carpets..

dandysmom
08-10-2007, 10:03 PM
John, you can buy an elegant little gadget designed especially for clipping cats claws. Very easy to use; I got mine at a cat show but pet stores and online sites carry them. As several people have pointed out, indoor only cats don't wear their claws down as much as ones with outdoor access, even if they use the scratching post,

Kay
09-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Everyone should regularlly check their cats nails in case of any injurer etc even if you don't think they need clipping.

tilly
12-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I cut my cats claw regularly to save my carpets and so they don't get over grown as they are getting older.
SAlly