PDA

View Full Version : Food covering up thing?

kado
02-10-2007, 09:18 PM
everytime we put cat milk down for Kado, Kay tries to cover it up. She scrapes the floor then sniffs the milk and does it all over again, she then drinks it. I put some wet food down tonight and she did the same. I was wondering if anybody else had experianced it.

jane

Moli
02-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Merlin used to do it when he was younger, I always thought it was because he lived with other cats?

Elaine
02-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Eva and Bernie do the same thing. Apparently it all stems from days of old, cats originated in deserts and its an old instict to try to cover their food and hide it.

dandysmom
02-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Leia does two kinds of covering: when she's given something that she absolutely dislikes and will not eat (like the food the vet gave her for cystitis) she does the burying all around type of covering up something nasty, like covering poo, But when she wants to save some of it for later she pulls the place mat over it!!

kado
02-10-2007, 09:49 PM
It's so funny when she does it though she tries her best to cover it up but alas there is nothing for her to cover it up with bless her little cotton sock.

Ps she is fast asleep stretched out on all of the settee and Guinness and Simon are on the chair together so i have no where to sit. They look so cosy i dont want to disturb them they look so cute and quiet.

jane

dandysmom
02-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Lol, Jane, get her a place mat! I got a set of 4 very cheap woven ones for under the plate; just throw them in the washing machine when they get soiled...Leia rarely slops food off her plate!

Kim
02-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Rosie does this when she has had enough to eat and tries to hide and save the rest! I think Elaine is right as to the origins and reason for this behaviour. None of my other 3 cats do it though!

dandysmom
02-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Sultan, when he was an only cat, used to leave some for elevenses, but after Misty, who'd been a stray, came, and who believed if you saw food, eat it (she remembered the no food days!), he never left anything. And the others, Dandy and Patches who lived with Misty never dared leave food either or it would vanish. Since Leia's an only cat now, she has that luxury, and covers it for a later snack......

Kay
03-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Phoebe tries to cover her food up whenever she has a litter of kittens but at no other time. Think she is scared of them pinching it.

Grete
03-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Hehe Bubbles did this when we first got her. She was about 5 months old and had been starved so I figured it was a protection mechanism so she wouldn't lose it. She grew out of it eventually as she relaxed but when she gets stressed, it starts again for a little while. She puts her toys in the bowl on top of it too.

Samz5
04-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Bones does this nearly everyday, he was a starved rescue kitten too so maybe thats why he does it.
Most of the time theres nothing there to bury the food with anyway he just scrapes the floor in a burying motion, but if I leave dirty washing on the kitchen floor he will bury his food with that... then 5 minutes later he panics because he can't find the food and comes crying to me for more - silly boy :roll:

Grete
04-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Lol bless. Maybe he thinks if he covers it up and you can't see it, you'll think he doesn't have any so he gets more ;)

dandysmom
04-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Bones does this nearly everyday, he was a starved rescue kitten too so maybe thats why he does it.
Most of the time theres nothing there to bury the food with anyway he just scrapes the floor in a burying motion, but if I leave dirty washing on the kitchen floor he will bury his food with that... then 5 minutes later he panics because he can't find the food and comes crying to me for more - silly boy :roll:

Lol, forgot to add that when Leia covers her plate with the place mat, and later wants it, she sits beside it and mews pitifully for me to come uncover it for her! :roll: :-D I am well trained....:roll: