PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive human licking?

Darky
02-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Does anyone else have a cat that does this, and do you know why they do it?

I know that sometimes cats lick as a dominant behaviour, like when Honey (six months old) jumps on Spike (ten years old) to clean his ears.

However, Honey also licks me.

Constantly.

As I type this, he is on my lap, cleaning my arm for me.

He's fine when he's on the floor or furniture or whatnot - but as soon as he's on my lap, if my skin goes anywhere near my face, he has to clean it.

It started out just being the odd lick - but now he does it for aaaages.

Fingers, hands, wrists, arms. If I take it away, he leans after it and I feel really guilty. XD

Any ideas?

It doesn't really bother me, but I'm very curious about it.

dinahsmum
02-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I think he looooves you!
Here's a previous thread
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=23343

Mags
02-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Cassie is always licking my arm when she's on my lap ..... :D

Moli
02-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Sometimes though, cats seem to groom humans. They lick their owner's skin with a ticklish intensity that may make us squirm. It often occurs when we are lying down or resting. What is happening, does the cat feel or sense that we the owners are dirty and in need of a good cleaning? Actually this type of behaviour has nothing to do with grooming. It is comforting behaviour that is usually found in cats that were separated from their mothers before 12 weeks. This behavior is linked with the cat kneading its paws (paw pressing) on its owner. This is the same behaviour it used to exhibit when it used to suckle at its mother's teats.

dandysmom
02-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Great answer, Moli! I knew about the kneading, but not the licking!

random
02-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Tucker always bites my rings, lol! He does not like them at all and obviously wants to remove them for me! :roll: :lol:

babycakes
02-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Sometimes Denis will fall asleep with the bit betwen my thumb and first finger in his mouth??? But he has only licked maybe three times in his life

Elaine
02-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Tucker always bites my ring :lol:

Really???:shock: :lol:

babycakes
02-10-2007, 08:38 PM
ELAINE!!!!!

( I thought that tho I have to say)

random
02-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Really???:shock: :lol:

THAT IS FAR TOO ROOD FOR HERE, make her do another video for that!!! :smt043

kado
02-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Guinness only ever licks me whenever i sit down he is obessed by me. Guinness was got by his prievious onwer at 8wks. Simon also licks me and we got him at 6wks.

jane

Moli
02-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Oliver licks..............then bites!!!

kado
02-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I am lucky there guinness has never bitten me he only scrapes me. His previous onwer he used to scratch everywhere.

Kim
02-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Rosie and Sasha like to lick us, usually when we are stroking them and they are purring, so I have always thought of it as a sign of affection. Misty licks then bites too!!

Elaine
02-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Bernie does this very cute thing whereby he licks your fingers and then pushes his head into your hand so you use your wet fingers to clean his head and ears:lol: He loves having his face and ears washed with the face cloth also.
Eva on the other hand does no licking, only biting;)

Kay
03-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Cory is a great one for licking and kneading. I put this down to the fact he had to be taken away from his mum very early. He is such a baby.

Rosie
09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Alfie does this all the time! If he can't lick my skin he will lick my jumper and just will not stop. Someone told me it was because of the salt we have on our skin and also because it scent marks us but that doesn't account for the jumper thing. I find it does get quite annoying after a while because of their emery board tongues.

Incidentally he was not rehomed until he was 10 weeks old and fully weaned.