PDA

View Full Version : Few pics from Tunisia

EmmaG
30-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Well we just got back from two weeks holiday in Tunisia. Weather was fantastic, mostly in the 30's.

Hotel was very nice, food was quite good (good choice including a choice of about 20 desserts ;) )

We also did a 2 day desert adventure which included visiting El Gem (where Gladiator was filmed), visiting an oasis, and riding on camels :)

Met a couple of cats, one at El Gem (the white and ginger boy) and the white and tabby female which was the resident at the hotel, she was very friendly and a lot of holiday makers were feeding her and playing with her.

Me and the ginger cat at El Gem

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/Egarnham/DSCN0827.jpg

Us on the camels (my camel was one of the biggest!! (although it doesn't look at it from this photo) )

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/Egarnham/DSCN0892.jpg

View of the pool from the hotel

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/Egarnham/DSCN1008.jpg

Hotel cat

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/Egarnham/DSCN1027.jpg

The beach was fantastic, white sands and warmish water which you could walk quite a way out and it wasn't very deep.

yola
30-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Super photos Emma! The ginger cat's a bit scrawny (bless him), but the hotel cat looks well fed :D

The pool land sea look most inviting . . . I do remember going to El Gem also, it's the big Roman ampitheatre isn't it? I think there is a photo of me there too (somewhere around the house :roll: ).

I chickened out of the camel rides, they looks SO big and menacing and I'd heard the camel minders make the ones with girls on them run really quickly!!

All in all, it looks like a lovely break :D

babycakes
30-09-2007, 07:23 PM
It looks very very good. What great pics
Love the hotel cat what big eyes she's got!!!

EmmaG
30-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Yola, the ginger cat was a bit thin, he seemed happy enough though. Yes El Gem is the Roman amphitheatre, I thought it would be larger than it was, bearing in mind they use to do Chariot racing in there. We went below and saw where the lion cages were. We were told that the Romans brought all of the stones that the Amphitheatre was made from by elephant, from the shore, by a secret tunnel under the amphitheatre, the elephants would bring the stones in during the morning and would return to the shore at night, and the tunnel was made so the elephants couldn't turnaround and had no choice but to continue.

The camels were great Yola, I wasn't keen to start off with but it was very relaxing, and fantastic seeing the sunset on the back of a camel. They are fairly gentle creatures although mine (with my OH's camel tied to it) decided it wanted to make a break for it!!!! lol I was screaming "where are you going now!!!!" and the guide came running after us.

EmmaG
30-09-2007, 07:35 PM
It looks very very good. What great pics
Love the hotel cat what big eyes she's got!!!

She was so pretty!!!! hard not to get attached to her and she reminded me so much of my female cat Bronwyn.

Erin
30-09-2007, 07:45 PM
great pics Em,glad you had a great time :D

Mags
30-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Lovely Pics Emma, glad you had a good time .......the weather looked super!

Which resort did you stay in? The hotel grounds and surrounding area look stunning!:D

EmmaG
30-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Mags we stayed in the Vincci Nour Hotel which is in Mahdia

Picture of front of the hotel

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/Egarnham/DSCN0998.jpg

dandysmom
30-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Loved the pics, Emma; seems a lovely place to visit, and you're brave to have tried the camel ride!! The hotel cat is a beauty...those eyes!!

Elaine
30-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Lovely pictures Emma, pleased to read y6ou had a nice holiday.
Welcome back to cold rainy UK:lol: Its down hill from here on:lol:

EmmaG
30-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Eileen, Tunisia is nice if you treat it is a beach/pool holiday (as we did), a lot of Tunisia is very run down with litter etc on the streets. If you do some exploring yourself you can find that you do get pestered a lot (which we had been warned about from many sources (including Catsey - thanks everybody as it helped us know what we were dealing with) ) The only excursion we did as the desert adventure, other than that it was mainly by the pool/beach. We did however find a very nice local cafe (serving homemade cheese burgers) pizzas, spaghetti etc and the waiters there were very friendly.

It was a bit of a shock coming back to the UK Elaine coming from 30+ degrees to 11 degrees !!! lol but we both really missing the cats and couldn't wait to see them, Bronwyn having put on some weight (my mother came over and feed them!!! lol)

Kim
30-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Glad you had a good time Emma. Your hotel, pool etc look great. I must say that when we went to Tunisia I fould the 2-day desert experience fascinating. We visited the Roman ampitheatre too, and the obligatory camel ride!! It does help to be pre-warned about being pestered, so at least you are prepared for it. I love the 2 little cats, the hotel one looks well fed, must be all the English guests!!!

dinahsmum
01-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks for posting Emma - and welcome back! It's chilly isn't it - but forecast is better for later in the week.

charliebubs
01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Great pics Emma. I'm so glad you had a good time and, like you say, you went prepared to get pestered!!

I know what you mean about coming back to the English weather!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :)