PDA

View Full Version : hi, can momma cat run out of milk too soon?

DamianMasterson
29-09-2007, 06:08 PM
hi

I have a cat i've taken in that was pregnant. it was her first litter, she just had two, one died, it was very small and premature looking. the survivor is healthy lookin, strong, about 2 weeks old now.

My sis says that because she had a small litter and now only has one kitten, there wasn't a lot of milk in her to begin with, like only two nipples had that full puffy look, and there weren't enough kittens nursing to keep the milk coming, so she dried up early. Is it possible for her to dry up early and for the little guy not to get enough milk from her now?

I've been trying to feed him formula to make up for it, should I continue this or will she produce enough milk to keep feeding him anyway? I just want to know if a cat drying up too soon is a myth or if it happens, and if it has happened, do I need to bottle feed him? and if so, how can I get him to take to the bottle? he fights me still.

Can someone answer these questions for me? I want to make sure I'm taking care of them properly and not doing anything that would be harmful. He does not seem underweight, he is kinda chubby actually, but that might be because he was the only kitten feeding before the nipples dried up?

Thanks in advance, hope you can help, just want to be sure I'm taking care of the furry lil ****** right.

D. Masterson

Kay
29-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Have pm'd you.

Mags
02-10-2007, 11:12 PM
How is this little kitten now Damian?

Moli
02-10-2007, 11:16 PM
You beat me to it Mags I was going to ask how the little one is getting on now??

Kay
03-10-2007, 02:46 PM
He seems to be doing well at the moment. I have had a pm from Damian. Bender, the kitten, has just got sticky eyes and fleas, inevitable considering his mum's background.

Jac
03-10-2007, 05:49 PM
A few things spring to mind. Can I ask if you have taken her in how do you know it's the first litter?
You say your feeding formula to a two week old kitten, then ask if you should get a bottle. How are you feeding it? Are you useing the finger drop method? What kind of formula are you feeding? It is for cats isn't it.

Right now ive said all my thoughts. How is the wee might. Have you wormed it?
Could be the reason for the full tummy.

Were suckers for kittens any chance of a photo.

By the way I'm Jac, nice to have you here with us. Why not introduce yourself and kitten in the introduction section.
Take care