PDA

View Full Version : My nannan is getting another doggy :)

Jane
26-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Well, yeah.. :D

My nannans dog, Bess, who was about 14 had to be put to sleep on the 6th August this year. She is missed by all of us and will never be replaced but my nannan and grandads home just isn't the same without a dog and it's obvious they're not really that happy without one...

Went to my nannan earlier and only chatted for five minutes so don't know the full story :p anyway, they went to visit a rescue the other day and all the other doggies were barking..but not him...soo, they went to see him :p apparently, in my grandads words, he is a border terrier crossed with a walking rug :lol: He is currently named Clyde (but they are thinking of changing that - if anyone can come up with some suggestions after I've finished describing him that would be great :)) because he had a friend called Bonnie but she was adopted and he was left behind..my nannan says he is a bit off his food at the moment and is pining for her but hopefully with some love and patience from them he will be happy again soon :D He is two years old...oh and he's brown apparently :)

They are having a homecheck friday night and if all goes well (which I'm sure it will..don't see why it wouldn't ;)) they will be bringing him home on Saturday :D

Ahhh I'm so excited for them lol :lol: Any ideas what this doggy could look like?? Don't laugh but I have no idea what a border terrier even looks like :p (am going to google in a sec XD)

So yep..thought I'd tell you all ;)

Jane

edit: oooh, borderdawn's dogs are border terriers aren't they?? ;)

alexgirl73
26-09-2007, 08:45 PM
awww, so nice that they've decided to take on a wee rescue dog! I hope they are all very happy together.

Jane
26-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I can't wait hehe :D Their previous two dogs (Bess, and their dog before which died about 14 or 15 years ago Benji) were rescue dogs so yeah ;)

Erin
26-09-2007, 09:00 PM
awww thats lovely Jane how exciting for you all,he sounds really cute :)
I wouldnt ask me to help with names or you could end wth somthing stupid like "choc" :lol: anyway really looking forward to seeing PICS of the lil boy ;) :lol:

Elaine
26-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Isnt it border terriers that Borderdawn has? That might give an indication of what he looks like.

Bless the poor doggie, I hope he and your nannan will be very happy xxx

Jane
26-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys :D

Yep Elaine, I think borderdawns are border terriers ;) just had a look at her latest pics and they're gorgeous :D Can't wait to see what he looks like hehe.

Mags
26-09-2007, 09:19 PM
I hope this special little dog will bring lots of happiness to your nannan and grandad, Jane..:D

Grete
26-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Awww bless :) Sounds like Rug could be a good name for him ;)

Jane
27-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys ;) Will suggest the name to her Grete :D

Jane
27-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Lookies! Go here http://www.mayflowersanctuary.com/DOGS%20FOR%20REHOMING.HTM and scroll down ;) Then you find Bonnie and Clyde :D

Grete
27-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Awwww he is so sweet!! Heheh I think Rug would fit well too *grin* If you wanted a better full name it could be Rugby and Rug for short ;)

Hope he settles in well, I wish I could have a dog, have always had both dogs and cats growing up but just not in the right situation for a dog.

More kitties is the answer :lol:

Jane
28-09-2007, 08:22 PM
They home check went well and they are picking him up at 12:30 tomorrow and I'm going with them!! Yay :D So excited ahhhh XD

Mags
28-09-2007, 08:39 PM
That's great news Jane, I bet your nannan and grandad are very excited..:D

Don't forget to get a pic of the little fella for us! :D

dandysmom
28-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Awww, great! Looking forward to pics and the story!

borderdawn
28-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Best of luck, he is a cross breed though not a Border. I have 3 Borders Jane, they are super, BUT they need a LOT of mental and physical stimulation otherwise they get into trouble! you can read about the breed on my site if it helps you.
http://www.emblehope.co.uk

Kazz
28-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Well if your Granddad think he looks like a cross with a rug then they could call him Matt as Matt is a upmarket rug. ;)
But the name he has is nice too, Clyde.

Hope all goes well.,

Kazz
28-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Well Dawn having looked at the pictures of him in the sanctuary he looks like a Border, or like he has borderin him needs "TLC" for his coat though.

Karen

dandysmom
28-09-2007, 10:54 PM
A FURminator to the rescue!!!

Jane
29-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks people ;)

borderdawn - I'm no good with breeds so just went by what they told me and what the website said hehe. Have had a read at your site - thanks. What can they do for him if he needs lots of mental and physical stimulation?? I know he will get lots of walks to loads of different places, and if he's playful (??) he will be played with a lot..any advice you can give me to pass on? ;)

Kazz - yep he does need some TLC on his coat...my nannan says he is really scruffy at the moment lol.

dandysmom - I was thinking of getting my nannan a FURminator, the idea came to mind..do you think it would be worth while??

Kazz
29-09-2007, 11:27 AM
When he's settled in find a good groomer who does Terriers (there is a big difference) between terrier coats and poodle coats.
They should have him looking a million dollars. Dawn may be able to tell you of good groomers in your area not sure.

Karen

borderdawn
29-09-2007, 06:10 PM
As long as you keep his mind active he should be fine, new places, lots of exercise, he should be fine!!

The coat may be difficult to hand strip due to him being neutered, find a groomer that does HAND STRIPPING and ask them if they can do him, they will tell you honestly if his coat can be done, if not he will need to be clipped, the groomer will do that too.

As Kazz says,let him settle in first, in a few weeks, look into it.
Dawn.

Jane
29-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys :)

Well he's home and has settled in really well. We saw him and he was really sad and lonely (and soaking too from the rain!)..the second we took him out of his kennel he was a different doggy ;) He seems really good on his lead and was happy to get into the car...he was really good in the car and just layed there (and peered out of the windows hehe). He had a pee on the carpet when he got home but since then has been outside to go to the loo so all is good. He loves his belly being rubbed..whenever you stroke him he rolls onto his back to be done. We think he has been groomed before because my nannan was brushing him and he was just sat there letting her do it with no complaints. I think she is going to bath him soon (in the next few days) then once he has settled in get him groomed (my aunt grooms dogs but not sure what type my nannan is going to ask her about it).

He is soo gorgeous and is lovely :) He hasn't barked or anything yet lol. He seems really friendly and yeah.

It seems like he's having some trouble with his ear (he keeps scratching at it a lot and it doesn't seem normal) and his back legs also seem a bit stiff (maybe from being on the cold concrete at the shelter?? maybe he has a problem with them)..so in a week or so he will probably be seeing the vet lol.

Oh and he didn't respond to the name Clyde at all, so he is now called Murphy ;)

borderdawn
29-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Great news jane, get posting some pics!

Jane
29-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Well I only have a few pics and they're really blurry because my brother is useless at using a camera :P but anyway, here they are ;) and and he had a quick wash before this photo just to try and get him to smell a bit nicer and be cleaner..he didn't mind at all and wasn't stressed by it ;) so yeah :P

well even though they're blurry he still looks gorgeous :D Will get better pics when he's settled in next weekend (or maybe during the week)

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/rainbow-twist/KICX1116.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/rainbow-twist/KICX1115.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/rainbow-twist/kicx1114.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/rainbow-twist/KICX1113.jpg

Do you think a furminator would help him once he's been groomed?

dandysmom
29-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Awww, he looks a sweetie, glad he's settled in so well! Dawn or the groomer would be better able to answer the FURminator question; it's great for cats, but I know nothing about dog grooming....

Grete
30-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Murphy is a great name for him! He is gorgeous, can't wait to see him spruced up :)

borderdawn
30-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Im not sure there is much Border there, he looks more like a working Wheaten/Lakie type. Does he have a docked tail?

If you get a very thin toothed comb, you will get a lot of that coat out, its still quite wirey by the looks of it, give it a go.

He looks like he has settled in already Jane, your nan must be spoiling him rotten! He looks like he's living in the lap of luxury in that posh bed!

Jane
30-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks everyone :D He is gorgeous ;)

borderdawn - I've looked at pics of yours and pics on the tinernet and must admit he doesn't look like them lol *shrug*...hmmmm..I don't think his tail is docked, I can't remember..actually I don't think it is. Will have a look next time I go ;) my nannan was brushing with with a quite thin toothed comb and it got a lot out but think they need to get a thinner one.

:lol: Of course she is spoiling him rotten haha. He loves his bed ;) My nannan would never buy a dog bed, she would always make one, but she decided to buy one yesterday so yeah..I dunno lol. I need to get some more pics of him, will get some next saturday (or maybe during the week if I can think of an excuse to go there :p) Do you think a furminator would not be very helpful for him then?

borderdawn
30-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Not for a wire haired dog I dont think so Jane, i think they remove undercoat only? You could try a coat king, look here, a very fine one I think you would need, will mage a HUGE difference to his coat.
http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Strippers__Hand_Clippers_and_Shea rs_29.html

Jane
30-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Will tell my nannan about the coat king thingy ;) Hopefully when he's had a good bath and groom he'll be looking even more gorgeous hehe :D