PDA

View Full Version : Peoples views on breeding?

katz
26-09-2007, 07:31 PM
As im new here, and dont really know the general forums thoughts and views on things, i thought i'd start this thread. In my other posts, ive said i would love to get 2 kittens the future, once my rats have passed over. I currently have a tabby moggie who is 14 years old who lives with his sister and his mother at my parents place. Mogs, the mother, was caught when she was just over a year, as my parents believed in letting them have one litter. After she had our two, and another one who went to a new home, all of our cats went and got spayed and neutered when old enough. Times and views have changed now, and they understand she could of got done when younger.

I have fallen in love with the siamese, and am really keen in getting two when im allowed more. However, I see so many different kittens in rescues who are desperate for homes, and I think should I encourage breeders? ( sorry for the novel! :lol: ;) ) What do people think about this?

borderdawn
26-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Responsible Cat breeders do not breed to supply the pet market, so choose wisely and you wont be encouraging breeding. Nobody has anything against breeding Cats for the right reasons, and those include breeders doing all relevant health testing etc. There are hundreds doing it properly, but equally as many not, a bit of homework and you will find the right breeder.
Dawn.

Grete
26-09-2007, 11:30 PM
I have to say I am pondering this as well. I would so love a kitten but I am so wary of contacting people who put up the cards and say kittens for sale as it feels they are doing it to make money.

I did contact a couple of people when the longing got too bad last time to see and when I asked was told the mother cats didn't have current vaccinations etc.

So I am at a bit of a loss what to do really.

borderdawn
27-09-2007, 10:11 AM
http://www.emblehope.co.uk/otherpets/Finding%20a%20responsible%20Cat%20breeder/index.html (http://www.emblehope.co.uk/otherpets/Finding%20a%20responsible%20Cat%20breeder/index.html)

I wrote this a few weeks ago, its what "I" would expect and also based on the help I got from the breeders on here, it may help.
Dawn.

Hreow
27-09-2007, 10:16 AM
If you have any cat-shows in your area - go talk to the people there! The shows I have been to have had both pure-breds and moggies, so you should be able to find the right person to ask about cats/kittens. Less likely to be into churning cats out for a quick profit at least ^^, and may be able to direct you to someone else who is reputable.

Or go to a few rescue-centres and get matched to a kitten/cat that will truly need you.

Or both.

/Edited. And what Dawn said. ^^

Fran
27-09-2007, 10:26 AM
http://www.emblehope.co.uk/otherpets/Finding%20a%20responsible%20Cat%20breeder/index.html

I wrote this a few weeks ago, its what "I" would expect and also based on the help I got from the breeders on here, it may help.
Dawn.

Very well written article Dawn, I had not seen it before. Well done!

borderdawn
27-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks folks.
Dawn,