PDA

View Full Version : What age can you let a kitten out?

carternm31
26-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Hello again,

What age can a kitten go out, I presume after its jabs?

Also what do the Jabs cover? are they a necessity?

sorry asking this on behalf of friend again :)

Heres the kitten she chose in the end: Named Trouble :D

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/carternm31/100_0250.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/carternm31/100_0248.jpg

sarahd
26-09-2007, 02:11 PM
The kitten jabs usually cover flu and enteritis you can also have one for leukemia. Everyones opinion of Leukemia is different personally i wouldnt give it until around 4 months of age but some people give it sooner. It is a really good idea to give it at some stage though if the cat is going to be allowed to go outside.
It is really important cats / kittens are vaccinated and boostered annually if they are going outdoors as that is usually where they will pick something up if they are going to be ill.
I would keep the kitten in as definately until 10 days after the second vaccination at least. The vaccine course isnt totally effective until 10 days after the second one is given and then full immunity is in place. But if possible keep it in as long as you can really as to a kitten the big outside world can be a very scary place and they will be very easy targets for passing cats etc. Not only that but they need to become familiar with their surroundings and where they live so they dont get lost or wander near roads etc

Good luck
Sarah
x

Grete
26-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Awww what a sweetie!

She shouldn't go out until her vaccinations are finished. The whole set (which I strongly advise) is :

Feline Infectious Enteritis
Cat Flu
Feline Chlamydia
Feline Leukaemia

In my book they are absolutely essential if the cat is going to either go out or come into contact with any cats that go out, as not only are those viruses extremely common and very nasty for a cat to have to go through (not to mention expensive to treat), they can result in the poor thing dying and in a very bad way :(

As a kitten they have 2 sets that can be given after 9 weeks of age. You have to leave about 14 days after the final set before the kitten can go out but I would say also while she is still so young, she is supervised and not left out on her own. They also need a booster of their vaccinations once a year to keep their immunities current.

Some people choose not to vaccinate for various reasons (one being cost) but to be a responsible and loving pet owner, I think it really is a necessity.

If cost is an issue, find a vet surgery that has a scheme where you pay a little over the year to cover the cost of the vaccinations so you aren't hit with a lump sum.

My surgery has a scheme that gives you flea injections (Program), plus a spot on type flea treatment and worming twice a year, 2 checkups done at the time of the flea/worming treatments a year plus the booster vaccinations for (I think) 10 pounds a month. Also as a member of the scheme I get 10% discount on any treatment Bubbles needs to have.

So that works out well for me and Bubbles has all her essential stuff covered.

Also - Trouble is a great name for her ;)

Hope all that helps, sorry it's so long winded hehe.

Kay
26-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Definitely wait until all vaccines have been given plus at least an extra 10 days as Sarah advised. I personnally only let my kittens go to indoor homes only and all my 10 are kept inside, but Persians are a bit daft and at high risk of being stolen.
Don't know why your friend has called him Trouble he looks so quiet.

borderdawn
26-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I always (up untill my Cats were in a Cat proof garden) wait untill they are neutered, its the responsile thing to do to ensure a female doesnt get pregnant or a male starts fighting and mating etc...

Lovely pictures.
Dawn.

random
26-09-2007, 06:04 PM
My moggies have all had the normal enteritis and cat flu jabs, and my siamese got the full set with her breeder. Mine are only out in a secure garden for a couple of hours a day, they mainly stay indoors and were first let out after being neutered/spayed.

The intact ones always stay indoors. I have one female kitten intact at the moment and she only goes out on a harness, but then she has spinal problems anyway so could never be out on her own.

Elaine
26-09-2007, 09:02 PM
I personally wouldnt let any cat out until it was neutered/spayed.

Grete
26-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeh I agree on the not being let out until neutered/spayed, I forgot that bit :)