PDA

View Full Version : Worming cats

Jane
25-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Just because I asked about worming piggies on another forum and now I'm interested ;)

Do you need to worm cats regularly? How often? What should be used?

Just curious - don't think either of them have worms but maybe they should be wormed just in case?? I don't know lol that's why i'm asking ;)

Jane

Elaine
25-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes, cats should be wormed regularly.
Mine are wormed and frontlined every 3 months.

Jane
25-09-2007, 08:27 PM
What should we get to worm them?? Could worming them regularly mean they come immune to it?

Elaine
25-09-2007, 08:29 PM
I use Milbemax from the vets.
You know i hadnt thought about them becoming imune to them, will look into that.

Jane
25-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Was just wondering because when I asked on a piggy forum (about worming piggies of course) someone told me they don't treat for mites and worms regularly if their piggies have no signs of them just incase they end up becoming immune to them but no idea whether this happens with kitties?

Is there anything we can order online or is it just something from the vet?? Nothing wrong with it just being from the vet of course but would they give it us even though they dont have wormies?

edit: I'm sure I've heard of people using 'panacur' or something too - is that effective & okay?

dandysmom
25-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Indoor only cats don't need worming. I use a liquid liver-flavored one for Onyx the outside cat; a prescription isn't necessary. I think she had them, as she's looking better and put on some weight since. Is Meow a picky eater? And Patch? The liquid over wet food would probably be easier to use than a pill.....I have no idea about building up immunity to them; seems a bit unlikely, but am not sure.

Elaine
25-09-2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.bestpet.co.uk/search_results.asp?sec=231&category=**Flea,_Worm_&_Dental

You can get different kinds here Jane.

Mags
25-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Does Patch go hunting at all Jane? If he catches mice, birds etc then more than likely he has worms.

Like Elaine, I worm Cassie every 3 months. She is not very cooperative taking tablets so I give her Panacur Favourites which she will eat straight from my hand..... or you can crumble it up. These tablets are a meaty flavour and taste something like Oxo cubes .......or so my vet says!! :lol: I buy them online, much cheaper than from the vet...

Jane
25-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys. Mags - Patch doesn't really go hunting but I'm pretty sure Meow does.

Think we will get some worming stuff for them then ;) Mags, can the tablet be crumbled up over food etc?

Dandysmom - yep they both do however Meow has been off hers for a while (has just been eating dry food) and Patch is picky if there's something 'different' on it :roll: Maybe we will get a tablet for them..

Have just had a look on the vetuk website (which is where we get his frontline from) they have 'Panacur favourites' which I'm pretty sure is what you're talking about Mags? http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_43&products_id=173
Oh and if anyone has ordered it from there (if you know any different sites which are not more expensive then please say too ;)) it says 'Sold individually ie: Price is per tablet and dispensed in dispensing envelope.' but on the box in the photo it says '2 tablets' so yeah...is that price one or two tablets??

Tanya
25-09-2007, 09:00 PM
A tablet form of wormer .... vetuk is a good website. Otherwise, your local vet will have some in stock. I dont reccommend the 'Petshop' wormers because I dont think they are quite as effective.

Jane
25-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah we wont be getting any from the pet shop. Think I'll suggest to my parents that we should get some Panacur favourites..anyone disagree??

Tanya
25-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Indoor only cats don't need worming.

Oli is an indoor cat, but I have always wormed him. He licks his bottom to clean it and I dont know what germs he could be picking up off the floor from our shoes.

Mags
25-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Think we will get some worming stuff for them then ;) Mags, can the tablet be crumbled up over food etc?

Have just had a look on the vetuk website (which is where we get his frontline from) they have 'Panacur favourites' which I'm pretty sure is what you're talking about Mags? http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_43&products_id=173
Oh and if anyone has ordered it from there (if you know any different sites which are not more expensive then please say too ;)) it says 'Sold individually ie: Price is per tablet and dispensed in dispensing envelope.' but on the box in the photo it says '2 tablets' so yeah...is that price one or two tablets??
Yes Jane, those are the tablets I get for Cassie and they can be crumbled over food

I'm afraid that price is for one tablet :(

smudgley
25-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Panacur paste gets my vote every time, very easy to administer. :cool:

Kay
26-09-2007, 03:54 PM
I use panacur liquid and an oral syringe for all of mine including the kittens and I get it from Wormers.co.uk I have always found it to be good.

Jane
26-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes Jane, those are the tablets I get for Cassie and they can be crumbled over food

I'm afraid that price is for one tablet :(

Okies, thanks anyway ;) We're going to order a couple later :)

Jane
26-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Anyone know any sites we can get the panucar favourites from that doesn't have a minimum order?? On the vetuk website you have to spend atleast £10 so dad is annoyed lol.

Elaine
26-09-2007, 09:18 PM
http://www.bestpet.co.uk/search_results.asp?sec=30&category=Wormers

Jane
28-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks Elaine ;) We ordered some :D

Elaine
28-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Your welcome:D

Jane
29-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Right well it came this morning and Patch happily munched it :D

Mags
29-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Right well it came this morning and Patch happily munched it :D
It's a lot easier than trying to get a tablet down them isn't it Jane!!:lol:

Elaine
29-09-2007, 02:06 PM
I only managed to get Eva and Bernie to take it the once, after that they wouldnt touch it:?
So for me its the tablets and chain mail gloves:lol:

Jane
29-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Yep Mags it is :D

I only managed to get Eva and Bernie to take it the once, after that they wouldnt touch it:?
So for me its the tablets and chain mail gloves:lol:

Shhhh! Don't tell Patch that! It will make him decide to refuse it next time too :roll: :p

Elaine
29-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Oops sorry:oops: :lol:

dandysmom
29-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Dosn't anyone but me who cannot pill a cat, like the liquid liver-flavored wormer?

Grete
30-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Hehe I have to get the vet to do it because Bubbles goes crazy when I try and I've never been able to get a pill down her.

dandysmom
30-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Lol.Grete, I think our cats are sisters under the skin! Leia is impossible to pill. and I wouldn't try with Onyx who is so wary and has finally learned to trust me...I gave her the liquid wormer on a tin of liver and chicken, and it vanished...she polishes her plate!