PDA

View Full Version : Spider plant

dandysmom
24-09-2007, 09:38 PM
It's enjoying the stay outside and is blooming...all of those will turn into little baby plantlets!! I am running out of friends to give them to....:-D
http://www.catsey.com/%5Bcenter%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttp://wwwdogsey.com/pics/31111DSCN0796.JPG%20%5B/img%5D%5B/center%5D

http://wwwdogsey.com/pics/31111DSCN0796.JPG

Mags
24-09-2007, 09:41 PM
That's a lovely specimen Eileen!:D

How on earth are you going to cope when you are overrun with baby spiders!! :-D

babycakes
24-09-2007, 09:49 PM
That's a lovely specimen Eileen!:D

How on earth are you going to cope when you are overrun with baby spiders!! :-D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Moli
24-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Thats a beauty DM, I had to stop keeping them, had babies all over the place...

dandysmom
24-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Hee hee! Mags, since I already have five spider plants, don't need any more, and as I said, have run out of people to foist them on, so will harden myself and lop off that stalk before the little ones start making rootlets! If I let them get to that point it feels like I'm killing the wee things! Which, of course, I am! Too bad you live on the other side of the Pond or I'd pot up some for you.....:-D

Mags
24-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Sounds like you could set up your own spider business Eileen! :-D

dandysmom
24-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Actually I don't think I know anyone who's ever bought a spider plant! The things are so prolific that people give them away! Maybe I should put them on Craig's list! (A for sale/buy/giveaway site)

Grete
25-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Hehe I bought TWO spider plants ;) I've even managed to keep them alive for 4 years (I'm notorious for being able to kill even the simplest plants).

No babies yet tho :-/

dandysmom
25-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Lol, I had a friend who managed to kill a snakeplant, the hardiest plant on earth!! Bet if you put the spider plants outside for the Summer they'd make babies!

Grete
25-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Lol, I had a friend who managed to kill a snakeplant, the hardiest plant on earth!! Bet if you put the spider plants outside for the Summer they'd make babies!

Hmm I might just have to try that next year :)

I've managed to kill Cress... and ferns... But oddly enough I *can't* get rid of the ivy, roses and brambles outside no matter how hard I try. The roses make me laugh - everyone says they are hard to grow... I can't kill the ******s!

dandysmom
25-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Ferns can be touchy! The ivy is impossible to kill, you have my sympathy there; it's as bad as bamboo! Are the roses the older, hardier varieties ?....they can be as tough as old boots, unlike the fussy modern varieties......

random
25-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Lovely!

I'm over run with Aloe Vera! HELP I HAVE MILLIONS OF THEM! They won't stop! :lol: :lol:

yola
25-09-2007, 08:21 PM
LOL!!! I had the same problem with spider plants . . . in the end I was brutal and left my mother plants out through winter . . . it took 3 years and a REALLY hard frost (-12) to see them off. But the baby plants became a real problem - I just couldn't cut them off quick enough before new ones grew!! :shock:

dandysmom
25-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Lovely!

I'm over run with Aloe Vera! HELP I HAVE MILLIONS OF THEM! They won't stop! :lol: :lol:

Lol, I have been ruthless with mine; only have two! But they certainly are handy when you get a burn...:D

dandysmom
25-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Are you sure you wouldn't like another one, Yola...? :-D I'd be happy to send you a few if it weren't for the plant importation laws.......

random
25-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Lol, I have been ruthless with mine; only have two! But they certainly are handy when you get a burn...:D

They are, but I have about 14 now so it's just getting out of hand and all because I don't have the heart to kill off the babies! :shock: How sad is that? :lol: :lol: And now the babies are having babies! :shock:

dandysmom
25-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm tempted to pot up the babies (always have a lot of extra pots). put them out on the brick wall by the sidewalk with a "Free" sign, and see what happens.....

yola
25-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Are you sure you wouldn't like another one, Yola...? :-D I'd be happy to send you a few if it weren't for the plant importation laws.......

I have to admit, I brought some single colour (not the variagated white/green) spider plants back from Tunisia in 1988 . . . they were just SO pretty. They ended up being the most prolific baby-producers of the lot!!

Grete
26-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Ferns can be touchy! The ivy is impossible to kill, you have my sympathy there; it's as bad as bamboo! Are the roses the older, hardier varieties ?....they can be as tough as old boots, unlike the fussy modern varieties......

Lol I have no idea, I am such a noob gardener. They just grow every year despite my best efforts ;)

dandysmom
26-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Lol I have no idea, I am such a noob gardener. They just grow every year despite my best efforts ;)

Lol, take a pic when the roses are blooming and we can have a guess what they are! Do they bloom throughout the year, or are they once-blooming? If the latter, probably the older toughies! Why do you want to get rid of them?

Grete
26-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Lol, take a pic when the roses are blooming and we can have a guess what they are! Do they bloom throughout the year, or are they once-blooming? If the latter, probably the older toughies! Why do you want to get rid of them?

They bloom once but over a long period of time (so they don't all bloom at the same time).

As to why, it's a long story :) We have a square deck that the patio doors lead out onto. I love the deck but when we moved in, the previous owners hadn't treated it to protect the wood so by the time we noticed it was rotting, it was beyond saving.

So it's now unusable (except as a cat sleeping platform) and has to come down at some point soon.

The rose bush is up against the wall and by the patio door and is out of control so we end up getting attacked by it.

All up that wall also was / is the Ivy (I think it's ivy although after seeing the picture of DM's clematis it might be that since it is in flower right now). We shall call it 'the thing' anyway :)

'The thing' keeps trying to take over everything including coming IN the patio door.

Both plants attract bees and wasps which I am phobic of and also mildly allergic to their sting.

The main problem I guess is we can't get to the base of either plant either as it's below the deck so we've tried various hack and slash things but the ******s grow back every year and then some.

I'm not a natural gardener so we are trying to get everything as simple and easy maintenance as we can.

But they won't die!!!! :roll:

dandysmom
26-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Ah, see the problem now! Sympathy for the bee/wasp allergy, I have it too; don't get just a little itchy bump, but an enormous hive-like swelling, ouch!
If it flowers, it's not ivy. And does sound like older rose varieties; the fussy ones would have died by now with all the hacking! Have you considered using one of the herbicide sprays to kill them...can't for the life of me think of the name of the stuff right now (senior moment!!); will look it up and post a link. It kills almost everything (except bamboo!) completely......

dandysmom
26-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Roundup is the name of the herbicide I was thinking of:

http://www.pestproducts.com/roundup_herbicide.htm

Grete
26-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Ah thanks :) I was thinking of herbicide/weedkiller but was worried about Bubbles.

I've taken a pic of 'the thing' and the rose - I just noticed actually it's flowering again and there are 2 more buds. Will post them in the appropriate place.

Grete
26-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Umm:oops: this is the appropriate place :-D

Here is 'The Thing'

http://www.darkstorm.co.uk/grete/sigs/thething.jpg

And the roses

http://www.darkstorm.co.uk/grete/sigs/therose.jpg

dandysmom
26-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Very pretty rose, a shame it's where it's not wanted, but it'll have to go! I don't recognize The Thing. definitely not ivy or sweet autumn clematis...??? Maybe someone else can identify it, Roundup only works on plants, but I probably wouldn't let Bubbles out for a bit after I'd sprayed, just to be on the safe side. She might brush up against the foliage and get a bit on her coat before it had dried; I shouldn't think licking it off would be good...mine only went out on harnesses, but didn't take them out till the day after I'd sprayed on the poison ivy. I am a worrywart.....:roll: Good luck on the eradication project!

Grete
26-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks DM :) I am a worrywart too so I think I will wait until we take the deck down (or it falls down) and then try and get to the roots. Flaming things :)

random
29-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Eileen you think you have spider plant problems, look what is happening in my town (pic took on my mobile so a bit rubbish!).

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/randoms_pix/29-09-07_1518.jpg

There must be about 20-30 of these in town in total! All those babies! :shock: :lol:

dandysmom
29-09-2007, 08:40 PM
OMG. that is incredible!!! :shock: That must be the biggest spider plant I've ever seen!
Guiness Book of Records?!! :-D

random
29-09-2007, 09:18 PM
OMG. that is incredible!!! :shock: That must be the biggest spider plant I've ever seen!
Guiness Book of Records?!! :-D

lol! I had to take a pic for you and I was tempted to pinch a baby but then I thought NO I HAVE ENOUGH WITH CONTROLING THE ALOE VERA! :lol: :shock:

dandysmom
29-09-2007, 09:27 PM
NO, NO, DON'T PINCH A BABY!!! We both obviously have a problem killing baby plants, and the spider plant would try to outdo your aloe veras! Seriously, thanks for the pic; that's amazing!

Grete
30-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Good grief!!!!