PDA

View Full Version : What do you feed your cats?

Jane
22-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Just curious really ;)

I mean like wet and dry etc...read the poll and you'll understand :lol:

Jane

Mags
22-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Poll? :smt017

Cassie has wet (Whiskas).....:D

alexgirl73
22-09-2007, 03:58 PM
What poll lol!

My foster cats all have hills science kitten food and morrisons kitten (both dry) and morrisons wet for mum and whiskas kitten for the babies.

My 3, Teddie has felix pouches and Broxi and Cooper have Asda Tiger wet!

dandysmom
22-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Poll??? Leia gets mostly wet tinned, with a sprinkling of dry to encourage her to eat it ........

suzanne118
22-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I feed my cats GO cat dry biscuits, and whiskers wet food

MrsH
22-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Molly and Jason get dry - James Wellbeloved. We make sure they always have plenty of water and chek that they do actually drink. They used to have wet food but started to ingore it, even after we tried various, ever more expensive makes.

smudgley
22-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Mine have Royal Canin. :cool:

My rescues have whatevers going! However I do always make sure pregnant moms & growing nippers have premium quality food, but healthy young adults have anything!

Grete
22-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Bubbles has Iams Light at the moment as we are in process of getting her weight down to reasonable but I'm thinking of changing her to a Hill's brand that my Vet recommends. She does drink plenty of water thankfully or I would be worried about feeding her an all dry diet.

As a treat now and again (or as bribery to forgive us if we've been away or she's had to go to the vets) she gets tuna that's been canned in spring water rather than brine.

babycakes
22-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Denis is spoilt rotten... He gets dry left out all day, either purina, whiskers, iams, highlife or home bargains one, they rotate.
He like whiskers tempations too

He has wet pouches, won't eat tinned???? whatever brand, they get rotated too usually with what's on offer and sheba now and again (as I think it's rich)
He gets a treat each day too, I will poach him cheap white fish, chicken, ham, tuna, pilchards.
Then on Sunday he gets peices of raw meat cut from the joint which he loves. Then has some when it's cooked

Oh and he eats passing flies, daddylong legs, and has a sausage when I go the chippy......He's not fat, they are only small amounts and only often
He likes me to throw meat so he can chase it

Jane
22-09-2007, 07:53 PM
lol guys - I was trying to make this and was adding a poll (was at my grandparents) and the laptop died on me :roll: so yeah, the poll never happened but I guess it posted the topic anyway :S

Sorry for the confusion :P

Elaine
22-09-2007, 07:56 PM
My tubby two get Royal Canin light, they also get applaws, hi life and Felix in jelly with veg.

Rosie
24-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Mine have wet food with biscuits twice a day and at least a couple of times a week tined fish i.e. sardines, tuna. Sometime they have a bit of chicken but believe it or not they prefer cans!

Incidentially I will not feed Iams to my cats or dog because of animal testing.

sillylilykitty
24-09-2007, 07:24 PM

That is exactly why I would never feed or recommend Iams to anyone.

I feed my cats Felidae, she used to eat Nutro but Felidae is way better. People who dont see her that often say she looks way better then she ever has in her life! People at the cat show said that. Also Lily eats half as much food being on this food. I love it and she does too.:D

babycakes
24-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Mine have wet food with biscuits twice a day and at least a couple of times a week tined fish i.e. sardines, tuna. Sometime they have a bit of chicken but believe it or not they prefer cans!

Tell me more???

sillylilykitty
24-09-2007, 07:35 PM
[/I][/B]

Tell me more???

Here are some websites of proof.

http://www.iamscruelty.com/iams.asp

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

Watch the videos if you can, they actually videoed the conditions the animals are in. But only if you want to (I will give you a Graphic warning, because the websites dont).

Just to let you know I am not a member of PETA and dont like most of what they do. This is one of the things I have learned from their site though.

babycakes
24-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Here are some websites of proof.

http://www.iamscruelty.com/iams.asp

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

Watch the videos if you can, they actually videoed the conditions the animals are in. But only if you want to (I will give you a Graphic warning, because the websites dont).

Just to let you know I am not a member of PETA and dont like most of what they do. This is one of the things I have learned from their site though.

I don't think I can watch it... it will give me nightmares can you tell me in brief???

sillylilykitty
24-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't think I can watch it... it will give me nightmares can you tell me in brief???

If you go to the sites, those are the articles, if you want to see the videos you have to click on the links on the sites I gave. So it is safe to click on the sites I gave;)

But in brief, Iams/Eukanuba does its own animal testing. Here is the begining of the article on the uk site:

"The IAMS Company have funded and participated in laboratory experiments on hundreds of animals that caused kidney failure, obesity, malnutrition, liver damage, severe allergic reactions, stomach inflammation, diarrhoea, severe skin disorders, lesions, skin wounds and other painful illnesses, and animals have been kept in barren dungeon-like conditions.

Dogs have been force-fed vegetable oil, had chunks of muscle removed from their thighs, and been 'de-barked' by having their voice-boxes cut out in a painful and bloody procedure"

And basically they did an undercover investigation to find all this out.

I dont want to say more on this forum so you can go to the site to read more if you want. It really is sad...:(

Amber
24-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Amber is fed on Royal Canin Young Male (yes young male :-D) being lower in calories than the young female it is better for her, as she is prone to putting on weight.

Previously before hitting her target weight she was fed on Royal Canin Obesity Management.

And the best part is I get her food for free :-D oh the perks of being a VN!

babycakes
24-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I am shocked that anyone who makes pet food could be a part of that I will not be buying their products again Thanks for letting me know

dandysmom
24-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't buy Iams, but will never do so after reading that! Thanks!

Tanya
24-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Oli has wet and dry food. At the moment he is eating Whiskas biscuits and Felix roasted pouches. He has two pouches a day and always has a full bowl of biscuits and water.

Grete
25-09-2007, 06:35 AM

Up til very recently I had no idea about this until I was buying some in a Pets at Home store and they had leaflets on the counter.

I don't like PETA and their methods but I also hate cruelty to animals. The thing that bothered me most about the leaflets tho is that the pictures used were the same as from another campaign years ago. I can't remember when or where but I had definately seen those pictures before because they left such a strong impression.

Now I'm not saying that what they claim isn't true but PETA have been known to sensationalise their literature and I now don't take them at face value.

Here is an ASPCA site about it http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_iams

BTW I don't agree with anything being tested on animals for cosmetic or food purposes and wasn't aware Iams did. In my naievety it didn't even occur to me that pet food WOULD be tested on animals since the idea is for results in a happy, healthy animal.

For that sole reason tho I am going to switch to another brand that isn't.

I barely agree with medicines being tested too but I can at least understand it, even if I don't like it.

Just my tuppence worth anyway.

Kay
29-09-2007, 04:03 PM
All mine are fed on Royal Canin including the kittens which weaned onto it. I have never had any problems with it.

Darky
30-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Our cats have breakfast and dinner of wet food, it changes every now and then as we like to see what they enjoy - and they always have a bowl of biscuits and water available.

Engine 88
02-11-2007, 12:07 PM
I feed my cat Solid Gold cat food.It is very high quality and does not contain corn,which much like humans is extremely hard to digest and also does not contain "by products".You can google the name solid gold cat food and go to the factory web site and check it out.Is it available in the UK?

Engine 88
02-11-2007, 12:10 PM
I feed both wet and dry solid gold cat food

miki
13-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I feed my cats different brands of dry food (Felidae, Sanabele bosch, britt and sometimes other like whiskas, friskies) and I give Pikica pouches twice a week and Gaia twice a month (she doesn't like it too often, she leaves it in her bowl).
Pikica is crazy about whiskas although I know it is junk food but I have to buy it for her every so often.
I tried Royal canin hairball control for Gaia because she has long hair, but she was vomiting after each time she ate it...

Samz5
14-01-2008, 02:50 PM
We feed ours on either Royal Canin sensitive or Hills Sensitive dry food as Tango seems to get sick when he eats 'normal' food due to his Pancreas / Stomach / Liver conditions, the other 4 also eat this too, and they have whiskers pouches and tins too.
They used to have Felix but this seems to upset Tango's tummy so we don't give it to them anymore.
Ideally we'd have Tango on sensitive foods (for his tummy problems), Bones on a Kidney diet (he has kidney disease) , Mitz and Domino on a light food (they are a little overweight) and Rags could eat anything he wanted but feeding times would be a nightmare!

sarah5
14-01-2008, 05:19 PM
OH MY GOSH :( I am SHOCKED to hear about Iams, I feel so sad and sick to the stomach as I have been feeding Iams to my cats - until now that is GRRRRRR :(

Is there anything that anyone would recommend I switch to that is close to Iams so as not to upset my cats tummies?

Thanks xx

miki
14-01-2008, 05:34 PM
aren't Eukanuba and Iams from the same producer? (not sure...) ?

Grete
15-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Sarah, this isn't the case with Iams anymore, If it was even true to begin with (it's been going on that long). It's a propaganda thing that PETA started a long time ago and keeps getting brought to the public eye again and again.

My cats are fed Iams and since they are happy and healthy on it and I have heard from the horses mouth as it were that this propaganda is just not true any longer and I am dubious if it was in the beginning, I have kept them on Iams.

This is my reason why which I posted in another thread :

I think like with any reporting you have to take it with a pinch of salt and see where there bias is.

The Iams/Eukanuba debate has been raging for some years now and the information that keeps coming to light is several years old. I actually found out something interesting on my last visit to the vet.

All the vets at my practice are fantastic and I trust them implicitly. The one who my girls saw for their vaccs was chatting to me about diets and I commented that I wanted to change them from Iams because of the recent revelations about their practices and he asked where I'd gotten the information.

I'd been given a flyer from Petsathome store that was distributed by PETA and the pictures were shocking. So shocking, I remembered seeing them on a different campaign leaflet years earlier. So that made me uncomfortable but hey ho, I still wasn't going to feed my cats Iams if it was true.

Anyway, my vet said that this is something that keeps coming round - it goes quiet for a year or so then gets brought up again. It started several years ago when it could have been true and they used outside labs to develop food which they had no control over.

There is no way to tell now but today it certainly isn't. And he knows this for definate as one of the previous vets (who was great with my girls) from the surgery who they are still in close contact with went to work with Iams as an animal care vet with their colony.

He said she is passionate about animals and just would not be able to condone their colony being treated like this. In fact she gets very upset at the calls she gets of abuse from people every time this is sent into the public eye again.

So I decided to take the advice from someone in the know rather than a propaganda leaflet.

Just as an aside, the surgery don't use Iams as their 'preferred food' so it's not like he had any alterior motive for explaining the situation to me.

sarah5
15-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Oh right thanks for that Grete, pleased to hear it!

babycakes
15-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Grete does it keep going around so that people are aware of what they are doing though?? Or is to say they have done it in the past and don't any more because I would think they would issue a statement following that to say so and I would like to read that just to be sure

Grete
15-01-2008, 10:28 PM
They have repeatedly stated that it is not the case NOW and that in the past they have used outside laboratories where these incidents have taken place and had no control over - as soon as they were made aware, they stopped using them. But people don't want to listen and prefer to believe what PETA say because well, if they say so, it must be true cos they have pictures and everything. Even if they are used on several different campaign leaflets.

I posted a link a while back from the ASPCA - here it is again http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_iams_statement

Here is IAMS statement http://www.iamsco.com/iamstruth/en_US/jhtmls/article/IT_Article_Page.jhtml?li=en_US&pti=RP&articleID=6

I never believe anything I see written on face value, especially from somewhere that is going to be strongly biased - I do believe something when I hear it from someone I know and trust and is actually there, performing that role.

Soupie
15-01-2008, 10:46 PM
All have Royal Canin biccies - kitten for the kitten and sensible for Q & P. The boys have Applaws and Almo Nature in Jelly and Pousse has Felix :)

random
15-01-2008, 10:49 PM
[/i][/b]

Tell me more???

You don't want to know! :shock: Not very nice, especially for cats. :(

I feed dry but with fresh cooked meat, usually chicken fish or prawns e.t.c. They get enough from the meat really but the dry is basically just a filler and helps firm their poo.

random
15-01-2008, 10:51 PM
They have repeatedly stated that it is not the case NOW and that in the past they have used outside laboratories where these incidents have taken place and had no control over - as soon as they were made aware, they stopped using them. But people don't want to listen and prefer to believe what PETA say because well, if they say so, it must be true cos they have pictures and everything. Even if they are used on several different campaign leaflets.

I posted a link a while back from the ASPCA - here it is again http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_iams_statement

Here is IAMS statement http://www.iamsco.com/iamstruth/en_US/jhtmls/article/IT_Article_Page.jhtml?li=en_US&pti=RP&articleID=6

I never believe anything I see written on face value, especially from somewhere that is going to be strongly biased - I do believe something when I hear it from someone I know and trust and is actually there, performing that role.

I saw some videos a few years ago which PETA had taken from Iams labs when I was doing some research for uni. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone who loves their animals to watch them, as for PETA, they are just as bad! :shock:

catsmum
17-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Well my furries have a good selection of food in the cupboard :D

Jefferson has Hills CD as he gets crystals and I alternate each order with either chicken or ocean fish flavour

Xena is on Hills Anti Hairball diet

Gabrielle, Willow and Elsa were on James Wellbeloved but after they changed recipes they all went off it so they are now on Purina and have a choice of their flavours and seem happy on it.

They occasionally get fresh meat or Tuna as a treat but they are not fussed about treats to be honest.