PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Collars

andrew021
21-09-2007, 03:29 PM
From my last post on Cat Related Chat when Jet went AWOL, I am considering putting a collar on her just to let people know she isint a stray.

I didnt get her until she was about 7 months old and have tried her in a collar, she looks so funny in it and she hated it around her neck, she kept managing to get it off.
Now she is over 3 years old am wondering if it is worth my while trying her in a collar again or is it like the old saying about old dogs and new tricks !!

Mags
21-09-2007, 03:44 PM
It may take a time for Jet to get used to wearing a collar as she is 3 years old but I have known neighbours of mine getting collars for their cats and they have got used to wearing them......their cats have been 5+. Why don't you start by just letting her get used to wearing it about the house first......maybe a couple of hours at a time?

You mention about wearing a collar to let people know she isn't a stray ......... is Jet microchipped, Andrew? She would stand more chance of being reunited with you if she were ever lost.

dandysmom
21-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Mine have always been indoor only so never had a collar problem; but if they did have outdoor access I would definitely have them microchipped and with a collar! She might object to it at first, but better safe than sorry......

Jane
21-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Patch doesn't have a collar because he hates them...well, the latest one we got him he didn't mind but he lost it somewhere :roll:

babycakes
21-09-2007, 09:27 PM
It may take a time for Jet to get used to wearing a collar as she is 3 years old but I have known neighbours of mine getting collars for their cats and they have got used to wearing them......their cats have been 5+. Why don't you start by just letting her get used to wearing it about the house first......maybe a couple of hours at a time?

You mention about wearing a collar to let people know she isn't a stray ......... is Jet microchipped, Andrew? She would stand more chance of being reunited with you if she were ever lost.
I do agree Mags, A collar is harder to get used to microchipping would eleviate the stress

John
24-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I am always worryed the collar may get caught and the cat cant free itself..if Millie jumped down from somewere and was left hanging and could not get free I would never foregive myself..I think microchip is the best option

Grete
25-09-2007, 07:06 AM
My girls were always good about having collars on - I tended just to buy supermarket ones but having read various threads about them, I think I will get one of the breakaway ones. I like Bubbles to have a reflective one at least just in case.

Jane
25-09-2007, 07:10 PM
My girls were always good about having collars on - I tended just to buy supermarket ones but having read various threads about them, I think I will get one of the breakaway ones. I like Bubbles to have a reflective one at least just in case.

You can get the breakaway ones from Morrisons and PAH I know that much :p

Elaine
25-09-2007, 09:23 PM
http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/
This is where I get my cat collars from. They are the break away kind and I personalise them by having my phone number printed onto them.
Bernie's is a little worn now, so I really must get him a new one.

Grete
26-09-2007, 12:13 AM
http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/
This is where I get my cat collars from. They are the break away kind and I personalise them by having my phone number printed onto them.
Bernie's is a little worn now, so I really must get him a new one.

Oh cool thanks! I wanted to get some kind of ID thing for her (she's not chipped... yet).

Darky
30-09-2007, 11:02 AM
My old cat Tiger and our cat Spike always absolutely loathed collars. It is impossible have Spike wear one, as it'll just drive him mental.

Honey has a collar, however, because I'm paranoid. XD Luckily he's a ridiculously tame cat and puts up with anything (he's licking my arm whilst I type this), so he is fine with collars.

His first collar was a plain black collar with clear gems, but I switched to a blue breakaway collar, for safety.

I'd get him a reflective one, but I live in the country and they just look God awful. XD

MrsH
30-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Both my cats have collars as well as being chipped. Molly looks after hers well but Jason keeps losing his, they're probably hanging on trees nearby! Just as well we buy the breakaway sort for extra safety!

xxTigerxx
21-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Both my cats have collars as well as being chipped. Molly looks after hers well but Jason keeps losing his, they're probably hanging on trees nearby! Just as well we buy the breakaway sort for extra safety!

my cats are mircochipped but they are mainliy indoor cats they will go out for a bit but always stay close.

They do have collers:lol:

Kay
21-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Mine are all indoor cats and being Persians I wouldn't entertain putting a collar on them as it damages the ruff round their neck. They do have some beautiful ones nowadays.

xxTigerxx
22-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Mine are all indoor cats and being Persians I wouldn't entertain putting a collar on them as it damages the ruff round their neck. They do have some beautiful ones nowadays.

what sort of persions do you own as we have a persion female called lucy im gonna try and get some pics of her.She is mulitcolour

very timid but last night for the first time ever she let me stroke her she was head butting me and purring,i was so amazed:shock:

Kay
23-10-2007, 04:07 PM
It sounds like she is a tortoiseshell Persian. I would love to see some pics of her. They are very affectionate.

I have a tortoiseshell, a black, a red, a red and white bi-colour, a blue-cream, a seal-point, a cream-point and 4 seal-tortie points. Quite a rainbow of Persians ;) .

Donna
23-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Mine have collars and tags and are yet to be microchipped... it is on my list of things to do...

They have had collars since they were kittens so used to it now, but Mags's idea of a few hours a day indoors is a good way to introduce the collar!

Grete
24-10-2007, 01:29 AM
Yeh I agree on the slowly introduce it, perhaps with a bit of distraction and bribery too ;)

As an update, I got two breakaway collars from my Vets when Fizz went for her shots. I didn't know how Fizz would handle a collar but she didn't bat an eyelid and now looks very smart in bright red ;)

We had Bubbles microchipped while she was under for her dental and also has a nice new breakaway collar. Fizz was already chipped thanks to the CPL and Smudgely :)

stitch_too
06-10-2008, 10:34 PM
my cat has a pink collar round her neck, with a name tag. it did have a bell, but i took it off, as she was annoying me, once when i was trying to watch tv! but, she has always had collars. she dosen't like me taking it off her, bur she'll sit as good as gold when i put a new one on her.

Mags
06-10-2008, 10:36 PM
my cat has a pink collar round her neck, with a name tag. it did have a bell, but i took it off, as she was annoying me, once when i was trying to watch tv! but, she has always had collars. she dosen't like me taking it off her, bur she'll sit as good as gold when i put a new one on her.
Does she have a collar with a safety clasp on, Stitch?

stitch_too
06-10-2008, 10:41 PM
yes :) i bought it from a special pet shop.

Rosie
07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I just saw a terrible programme showing how a cat had caught its paw in its own collar and the cat was in a terrible state.

stitch_too
07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
what happened? *isn't watching telly*

Mags
07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I just saw a terrible programme showing how a cat had caught its paw in its own collar and the cat was in a terrible state.
That's what happened to Sam, my previous cat, Rosie ..........I've never used an elastic buckle collar since.

Midnight
14-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I too am worried about the collars getting caught somewhere, dont want to lose any of our 5 due to me making them wear a collar. Thanks for putting up that link, I'm going to have a look now for the breakaways, didn't know they existed before. Are they good? Thanks in advance.

dandysmom
14-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I've never used collars, Midnight, as all mine are/were indoors only, but the breakaway collars are definitely safer and I think 99% of members here use them.

Midnight
15-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks.

I need them as we have woods behind us that the cats love hunting in. Problem is my neighbours further down tend to feed strays so they need collars when they go out so they know they belong to someone so wont feed them. They will look gorgeous with collars on though & of course those lil bells will warn the poor mice & voles that they are around.

trick
15-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Please please please microchip your cat even if its indoors.
its always the indoor ones that accidently get out and end up in the dog and cat home. then the owners always say 'oh but she never nornaly does that or he never leaves my garden, but sure enough some do.

dandysmom
15-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Good point; Trick, I'm having Leia done the next time she's at the vet; although she's scared of outdoors and was really panicked the one time she got outside!! You never know.

trick
15-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Try to avoid any with elastic these seem to be the ones that they can get their legs through but then get stuck, I,v seen some horrible ones where the collar starts to cut through the skin in the arm pit and neck.

Midnight
15-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Anyone know any prices on microchipping in South Wales please? Vets gave me price of £15.20 each & I am hoping to find it a bit cheaper, especially for the 5 of them. Cheapskate I am, lol. Rocky was done when he was a puppy but need to get my moggies done asap.

catwoman999
15-09-2009, 07:28 PM
PinkLizzy is a Vet nurse in Wales. She may help you :D
Though its usually around £20 so your getting a bargain already!!!

pinklizzy
15-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Yup, we charge about £19 routinely for microchipping so £15.20 is quite cheap, although I realise it's a lot when you have 5 cats!

catwoman999
15-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Anyone know any prices on microchipping in South Wales please? Vets gave me price of £15.20 each & I am hoping to find it a bit cheaper, especially for the 5 of them. Cheapskate I am, lol. Rocky was done when he was a puppy but need to get my moggies done asap.

Maybe vets surgery quoted £15.20 as a discount because you were getting all 5 done....;)

Phoenix
16-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Dylan's microchipped and he wears a collar to protect the local wildlife population. In theory. :roll:

Gumby Cat
17-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Dylan's microchipped and he wears a collar to protect the local wildlife population. In theory. :roll:

Same with Solomon, I had him microchipped last time he went to the vet, and he now wears a blue collar (to match his eyes!) with a bell. I'm not sure whether it works, at least he hasn't brought in any "presents" lately!

Midnight
19-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the replies, probably was a discount as they discounted their vacc's for us too.

moonstone
19-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I always used to put colars on my cats until one of my girls (demi) nearly hanged herself by getting her collar caught on my neighbours wire fence:shock:
I was luckly that they were able to help me rescue her or she would have been dead:shock: :(
Now i don,t use them :) none of my cats wear collars:D

dandysmom
19-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Are they microchipped, Moonstone?

kado
19-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Mine only wore collars for about 2 days when they where little. They are all chipped except Gabby and Maisey who will be done when they get speyed. I must be lucky as my vet only charges £12.50

moonstone
20-09-2009, 04:28 PM
YES my cats are all microchipped:D I would really like them to have collars too but never mind:lol:

Mayberry
19-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm planning on getting collars for our cats even though they will be kept indoors- you never know when they'll get out!

I think people would be more likely to check for a microchip (which they will have aswell) if a cat has a collar on.

Check out http://kittyboocollars.co.uk/ for the cutest ever collars! :D

Gumby Cat
20-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Solomon wears a blue collar (to match his eyes!) which I bought from Kittycollars, and is also microchipped.

daniellesdogs
24-11-2009, 02:28 PM
my mums cat got chipped it cost £32 but i got my dogs done at a dog show for £10.
3 of my cats have collers on but as fast as i put on other 2 they off, my mums cat his fur mats around the coller in a day so he cant were them hes a street racker but chipped were mine all in door cats

lizziejayne66
22-01-2010, 04:18 PM
ive never used collars on my cats, im scared they would get their feet trapped in one

Pinkhebe
01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Perry has a quick release one (well actually it's his second as he lost the first!) He is also microchipped but because he wears a collar I hope that if he goes missing someone might think to check for a microchip - plus the collar we have has a space for a telephone number!