PDA

View Full Version : Kidney stones - anyone?

Kazz
20-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Anyone ever had kidney stones?

I woke in the early hours with terrible pain. Could not settle get comfortable however I stood, sat, lay curled, walked. I was ill too whic relived the pain slightly.
I went to work but had booked a Doctor's appointment for 5.30 off I went but the pain had eased off. And the Doctor thinks Kidney stones :shock: :shock: I have to take a water sample in tomorrow morning. They will send it off and if it comes back clear of infection then she will book me an appointment for an XRay to establish Kidney stones.:shock: :shock: :?

Not sure what happens then,:?

Oh I have antibiotics just in case its a simple kidney infection. But she seemed certain it was kidney stones.:shock:

alexgirl73
20-09-2007, 09:13 PM
oh poor you Karen ((hugs))!
I've not had anythign like that, but OH had gallstones a couple of years ago, and was he in pain!!!!! I phoned an ambulance the first time he had an attack, he was rolling all over the floor screaming in agony. I thought his appendix had burst! He had them removed by keyhole surgery 10 months later, back on his feet within a week! Hope you get yours sorted xx

Elaine
20-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Ouch. So sorry Karen. My father had that a few years ago and he was in agony. I cannt remember what happened to resolve it but he's fine now.

Annestaff
20-09-2007, 09:20 PM
My sons had kidney stones this week and ended up in Casualty Monday night. He has had terrible back ache for about a week and on Monday he couldn't stand it any longer so I took him to our walk in center who sent him straight to the hospital. His urine sample came back with traces of blood in so they dosed him up with pain killers and booked him in for a scan the next morning.

He had a terrible night he was in so much pain and at the scan the next day they couldn't find anything but reckoned it was kidney stones and he had passed them himself.

Mags
20-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Like Alex's OH, my hubby had gall stones years ago and it has been said the pain from them is on the same level as childbirth..:shock:

I don't know anything about kidney stones though Kazz except that I think they try to disperse them nowadays rather than operate.

I'm hoping it is just a kidney infection you have and the ABs will clear it....:?

Here's a link about the stones (doesn't necessarily mean you have them mind;)).....I hope it will explain things to you..

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/Kidney_stones.html

Kazz
20-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks all. Can feel the build up again so off now.

Kazz
20-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Anne hope your son feels better now they do appear to be terrible things. Now you mention it I have had an ache in the lower back/side since Tuesday, so may be building up.

dandysmom
20-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Karen, so sorry to hear this!!! A friend had gallstones and said the pain was agonizing, have heard it's about the same with kidney stones. I'm praying it's just an infection and that the ABs will fix it.....
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they can now dissolve them with some sort of ultrasound rather than invasive surgery......off to look it up .....

Grete
20-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Sorry to read you are in so much pain, they really are excrutiating. They will be able to tell you a lot more when you have the scan - it depends very much on the size, number, location and density as to what they will do. They can pass naturally (painful but medication helps), they can be broken up much smaller using shock waves (Lithotripsy) and then be passed naturally or if neither of those are options then it would mean surgery but it's done keyhole these days with much shorter recovery time.

It's not a nice thing at all to have to go through so *hugs* and hope it all gets resolved quickly and you feel better in no time.

yola
21-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Yes, I think it's some kind of sonic or laser therapy that dissolves the stones. I think passing them is still quite painful once dissolved, but then they're gone!

My Dad had kidney stones back in the late 60s . . . he was operated on, it got infected, he had to have a kidney removed and was never the same since :( BUT that was a long time ago and I think invasive surgery is almost a thing of the past now, thankfully.

Kazz
21-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Thank you all feel rough and not gone to work but not as bad as I was yesterday, but pain killers and maybe theantibiotics are great things. Will get the results back Monday mid morning.
Then they will take it from there. Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

yola
21-09-2007, 10:19 AM
I hope you're right as rain again soon Karen. Look after yourself please or we'll all have to come up and feed you chicken soup :D

Mags
21-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Rest up over the weekend Kazz and take care.. ((((hugs))))

dandysmom
21-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Take it easy and do let us know the results....... thinking of you and (((hugs))).....

Kazz
21-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks all I actually feel fine and a bit of a fraud for not being at work.
But its my weekend off and should feel fine soon,

smudgley
21-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Hope you're feeling much better soon Kazz.
Put your feet up & enjoy the weekend.

alexgirl73
21-09-2007, 09:08 PM
((hugs)) and hope you feel better soon xx

Sweet
22-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Karen, sending big ((((((hugs)))))) x

I had gallstones and I would not wish that pain even on my worst enemy, they say kidney stones is on the same lines. I had my gall bladder removed in 2003 through keyhole surgery. I am not sure what the treatment is for kidney stones.

Take care, Love, Julie x

Mags
22-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Kazz, there was a programme on the radio this morning and I was only half listening at the time....... until someone mentioned kidney stones.

They said the large green melons had medicinal value to anyone suffering from kidney stones. I'm not a melon lover myself so I don't know the name of it but it is the one with a red centre. Maybe worth a try for you?

Kazz
22-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Thank you Mags I am not a fan of melons either however if it works even slightly I am for it :)
Maybe its because Melons are majority water? I will get some Thank you.

dandysmom
22-09-2007, 03:58 PM
How are you feeling today, Karen?

MrsH
22-09-2007, 05:15 PM
OH had kidney stones many years ago, so I know you're VERY uncomfortable. Luckily, his dispersed by themselves, hope you get some relief soon.

Mags
24-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Have you had the results of your water sample back yet Kazz?