PDA

View Full Version : Eye colour!!

alexgirl73
19-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know when kittens eye colour starts to change? My 2 white kittens both have blue eyes, and Roberts friend who is taking the fluffy one is really hoping that they stay that colour! As I'm not sure when they change I was hoping someone on here could tell me!:D

alexgirl73
21-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I take it no one knows either lol!

Mags
21-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Not sure Alex but I always understood the colour of their eyes changed over a couple of months....:?

Sam, my previous ginger cat had striking blue eyes as a kitten but they changed to amber..

smudgley
21-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Their eye colour usually changes by 6/7weeks old. :)

random
21-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Our kittens changed at around 6-8 weeks old.

alexgirl73
21-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys, just need to wait and see over the next 2 weeks then lol!

dandysmom
21-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Leia's changed from greenish to yellowish at about 8 weeks........

tilli121
25-09-2007, 10:01 PM
i too have a white kitten with striking blue eyes, are yours pure white, if so hows their hearing, my kitten is a rescue, he is staying indoors as he is deaf, apparantly most pure white kittens with blue eyes are, he can't hear a thing and i know if he ever got out he wouldn't survive for long......

alexgirl73
25-09-2007, 10:11 PM
I suspect one of the white kittens may be deaf, not completely sure. Will ask the vet in 2 weeks when they go in for their first jabs. He is going to one of roberts friends (dependant on home visit of course) and will be an indoor cat only anyway!!

tilli121
25-09-2007, 10:26 PM
if you think he's deaf he probably is.....
the rescue we got our kitten from said they thought he might not be as he has a pale black streak of hair on his forehead, barely visible but they said because he had it he may not be deaf, from the first night we got him home though we just knew that he was, we still whistle him and click our fingers at him when he's somewhere he shouldn't be, lol, you forget....our other 2 cats think he's a real tough guy as he doesn't run away from the hoover like they do, they watch him from behind the curtains as he sits on it, he's only 4 months old now and hes starting to look like the top cat!!!;)

alexgirl73
25-09-2007, 10:30 PM
The white kittens I have also have that little tiny bit of a black streak on the top of their heads lol!

tilli121
25-09-2007, 11:03 PM
i have seen white cats advertised for sale that have this mark so maybe most of them have it, everyone told us we should call jeff gizmo cause it made him look like a gremlin......
he also had a couple of black spots above each eye when he was about 6 -10 weeks old but they dissapeared, the black streak has got lighter too but i don't think that will dissapear entirely, it makes them look so cute though doesn't it?

Kay
26-09-2007, 03:37 PM
The white gene is kown as the spotting or masking gene. The bits of colour you have noted are very often present in young white kittens but eventually disappear as the white gene masks the colour underneath.
I would get all the kittens checked for deafness as a great many white blue-eyed cats are deaf, although not all, and should therefore be placed as an indoor cat only.

alexgirl73
26-09-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm fairly certain the little white female can hear (and she now has one greenish eye and one blue at the moment lol). The little boy will be going to an indoor only home for certain and will be checked out in 2 weeks when he goes to the vet for his first jab!

dandysmom
26-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I've heard that white cats with odd eyes ( one blue, one another color) are only deaf on the side of the blue eye.......

Kay
26-09-2007, 04:26 PM
I've heard that white cats with odd eyes ( one blue, one another color) are only deaf on the side of the blue eye.......
That is correct although it doesn't happen in all cases.

If the little girls eyes are beginning to change colour then it is possible that the little boys will as well. Glad he is going to an indoor home though.

alexgirl73
26-09-2007, 07:10 PM
He's definitely deaf as a post!!! I took up the kittie pe proof covering I had over my carpet today (as they are now all using the trays properly). I hoovered up the bits of litter that had got underneath. All the kittnes (and mum) ran like the blazes while Dave sat looking at them as if to say 'what are you doing?'. I was hoovering right up to his paws and wasn't flinching a bit, so I think it's safe to say he's deaf! His new daddy came for a visit tonight and has no problems with him being deaf at all.

tilli121
26-09-2007, 07:43 PM
sounds just like mine!
the first few times i hoovered jeff actually sat on the hoover and now only moves out of the way because of the air blowing from the front but i can vac right up to his feet, my other 2 watch from the back of the curtains and he sits in the middle of the room looking round wondering where they are, i have a dally thats deaf in one ear and her good ear makes up for the deaf one. the only time you notice it with her is if she is asleep and laid on the deaf ear, she will then jump up a little surprised when she realises you are there.

Darky
30-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Honey's eyes were bright blue at 6 weeks, and didn't change colour until around 10 weeks or so, I believe.

Now they're a gold colour, with little green rings around the pupils.

Kay
03-10-2007, 03:11 PM
My Angel won't move out of the way of the hoover, unlike the rest, She just lies there looking at it. You have to pick her up to hoover underneath her and she is definitely not deaf.

alexgirl73
03-10-2007, 06:47 PM
lol! He will be checked over on monday when he goes for his jabs, but I definitely think he's deaf. He doesn't react to the food tins being opened or stir when I come into the room if he's sleeping, unlike the rest of the little blighters! I've also tried rustling bags and things behind him and he doesn't react. It's not a problem though with the lovely home he's going too!

Moli
04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I've heard that white cats with odd eyes ( one blue, one another color) are only deaf on the side of the blue eye.......My white Boxer has odd eyes, 1 blue and one brown, and she has perfect hearing in both ears...:)

Kay
04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Hope everything goes well with their jabs on Monday. Poor babies. You horrid, horrid person :( .

dandysmom
04-10-2007, 07:57 PM
My white Boxer has odd eyes, 1 blue and one brown, and she has perfect hearing in both ears...:)

Maybe it's just cats, Moli! My next door neighbor when I was growing up had one blue and one brown eye, and her hearing was normal!

alexgirl73
04-10-2007, 09:16 PM
the little girl still has one blue eye and one green and she hears VERY well lol!!
I know I'm a horrid foster mummy Kay, but it must be done lol! They'll get lots of cuddles to make up for it I'm sure!!!

Kay
05-10-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm sure they will Alex. Only joking.