PDA

View Full Version : Foster Kitten gave me heart failure

alexgirl73
17-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Things have been a little on the hectic side here for the last 24 hours!! All the kittens were doing really well until yesterday evening when I went to give them their evening meal (well try to anyway). The littlest kitten, Idge, was lying by himself with a little bit of sick in front of him, nothing to worry about I thought as they are just starting to eat solids, but something about him just didnt look right. I took him in to the living room beside me to keep an eye on him.
Within 20 mins he went downhill very fast, couldn't lift his head up, was very lethargic and was drooling all over my leg. I phoned my boss to find out which vet to take him to and off we set 10 mins later. TBH, I stopped the car twice on the way there as I thought he had gone:( . We got to the emergency vet where he was given antibiotics and fluids. I was given the option of leaving him there or bringing him home as the only thing they could do was fluids and warmth. She told me that the outlook was very guarded for him. I brought him home as I would rather he would go at home if that was what was to happen.
We got home and within an hour he had started to perk up. I fed him on cimicat every 2 hours and gave him water and by 10 o'clock you'd have been astounded that he had ever been at the vets!!:o He came throught the night with no problems and went to the vets with all the kittens this morning. All given a clean bill of health, Idge was given a longer lasting antibiotic as she felt it may have been a urine infection which I did not realise could happen with kittens! So fingers crossed that all will be well for him in the future!

Mags
17-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Gosh Alex, you have had a worrying 24 hours, haven't you..:shock:

I'm so pleased the little one pulled through and is now going from strength to strength...:D Fingers crossed he is over the worst now...

Please keep us updated on this little fella...:D

alexgirl73
17-09-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm absolutely shattered Mags with checking on him and feeding him throught he night, but well worth it to see him so much better today. I will definitely keep you updated!

Moli
17-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Sounds like that wee one was not about to give up...well done Alex....

Jac
17-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Oh dear Alex, seem's like he wanted to give you a run for your money!!!
So pleased he made it (with your care) I take it it wil be an early night for you then:D

Erin
17-09-2007, 07:25 PM
omg Alex that must have been really scarey!!!!!

Glad the litle babe has got better bless him,well done you xxx

Grete
17-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Sound like you had an awful time :( So glad the kitten pulled through and well done for getting her seen so quickly :)

*hugs*

Elaine
17-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Poor little ******, glad he is alot brighter now and good on ya for getting him sorted xxx

Kazz
17-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Glad he's much better now. What a fright.

dandysmom
17-09-2007, 08:39 PM
A scary episode; bless the little fighter!! Glad he's pulled thru so well!

borderdawn
17-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Glad he is OK Alex.

Kay
17-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Glad he is back to normal now. It is so scary when these things happen.

alexgirl73
17-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Yes Jac, I am just off to bed now lol, just thought I'd quickly let you know that he is runing around like a loon, climbing the scratching post and my legs lol, and generally seems to be going great guns. Obviously I know that there is always a chance that he could get bad again, but things look promising so far!!

dandysmom
17-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Night, Alex, sleep well!