PDA

View Full Version : Operation Make Shelby Happy commences...

Whiley
16-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Well its come to a point now, where i cant stand it any more. Shelby has been getting into worse and worse condition and my heart is breaking, so regardless of what her owner, my housemate says [he only feeds her, thats it, and she lives outside] i am taking over her care.

I really need your help.

Since i moved in, shes been getting gradually worse. First of all she has to be kept outside, because she often throws up and often poos everywhere because she was never litter trained. She also doesn't get groomed so hair goes everywhere. She was told to live outside as an encouragement for John to start caring for her, and unfortunately he has deglected to do so, not what we intended at all.

When ever i try to care for her, or suggest he does, he gets all up in arms and cross. I've tried so many times now. I give up, i'm just going to do it and face the consequences of his anger.

Her current condition is as follows:

* Covered in scabs, this seems to be very much like mange.
* A lump is growing, looks decidedly like a mammery issue, but thats just going by my own knowledge with other rodent health.
* Her weight has gone down dramatically. Shes not skinny, but she was plump, and now you can feel her spine - i wonder if her throwing up and this is linked- worms maybe?
* She hasn't had her vacinations in years.
* hasn't been wormed or flea dropped, etc in years.
* Is forever licking and chewing herself.
* Completely ungroomed but not matted.
* Eyes seem fine, as do ears and teeth.
* She lives in corner shop Go Cat adult and i sneak her cooked chicken and wet food several times a week. When John forgets to buy cat food, she either gets nothing [or i sneak her more from my stock] or she gets cubes of cheese, despite me telling him how bad dairy products are for cats.
* Generally a very happy, playful cheeky cat, who howls and meows a lot because she doesn't get to play with us much.
* I'm also suspicion of how she gets treated by other cats in the area, as its like a cat ghetto around here.
* She has free reign of the conservatory and the gardens.

Before resorting to going to the rspca i want to try to sort things out myself and hope for the best.

My plan! Help please!

* Get her to the vets, get her mange treated, lump tested/off, wormed, fleaed and vaccinated.
* Move her into the kitchen with permission with other home owners, and be responsible for cleaning up after her.
* I've made her two washable comfy cat beds and brought home some nice big boxes for her to have her beds in and a litter tray.
* Try to litter train her.
* Change her diet to something that will help her overall. I was thinking of going with Hills.
* Once/if shes developed alright in her health and training, move her into the rest of the house, so she can live out her old lady days inside in comfort and not out in the elements.

And heres some pics of the lovely girlie herself right beside me, as i brought her in to try her new beds, and she seems very taken with them.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/Whileywoo/shelby/shelby1-1.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/Whileywoo/shelby/shelby2-1.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/Whileywoo/shelby/shelby3.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/Whileywoo/shelby/shelby4.jpg

Grete
16-09-2007, 12:18 PM
What a beautiful girl and her story about breaks my heart :(

Her owner doesn't deserve to have her, she's being neglected by him and while he thinks it's ok that he can just care for her when he remembers, it's not fair at all on the poor girl.

Good on you and *huge* kudos for trying to make her situation better and I hope her owner sees sense and lets you. If he doesn't I would go ahead and do it anyway and if that doesn't work out then get the RSPCA involved so she can be rehomed somewhere she will be loved. She deserves it.

Jac
16-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I know this has been a worry for you for a while now.
Good for you for stepping in and taking over the situation. he "owner" gets angry because you are finding fault in him. Tell him to go jump.
Your plan sounds good to me. You seem to have it all covered. I would say get that Vets appointment as soon as you can.
Another good food is James Wellbeloved. I have used it for years. There's no addatives ect. I'd feed a bit wet food as well. I leave the dry food down all the time and top it up as need be. I aslo feed half a pouch at breakfast, lunch (starting to miss that out) and evening. Mine are babies but it works for me and others on here.
Let us know how you get on and I hope the lump is nothing.

Whiley
16-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Thank you, lovelies!

I'm trying my best i guess. I'm ordering her a feeding matt with some new bowls as well as a grooming brush as we speak. Also the place i get my other animal food does a huge variety of cat foods so i'll start her there.

Would you suggest senior for her now? Shes nearly 11.

Jane
16-09-2007, 01:23 PM
So glad you're going to try and help this poor girly, I'm sure she'll appreciate it :)

Whiley
16-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Thank you Jane!
I've just bought her a new set of bowls, a new grooming set and toys and bits. They should be delivered over the next few days. She seems to love her beds which i'm very pleased about.

I'm also looking for a good coffee table book to keep around the house about cats and cat care, hoping maybe it will pep my housemate into thinking about her more.

Donna
16-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Good luck in your mission to help this poor kitty. I would suggest a vet trip first so you know exactly what you are dealing with...

kado
16-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I realy admire you for what you are doing for her. Like Donna said i would take her to the vets and they will be able to advise on her care and if your housemate say's out just tell him to go and jump.

jane

jane

Whiley
16-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Thank you, its a bit of a commitment to throw myself into it but shes worth it.

I have just ordered some books also. :)

Whiley
16-09-2007, 04:26 PM
I've just had a chat with John, and hes agreed to come to the vets with myself and Darren to get her lump seen, mange treated, and update all her vaccinations, worming and flea-ing too! :D

Step one complete! We're going on Tuesday!

dandysmom
16-09-2007, 04:31 PM
I can't improve on any of the excellent advice the others have posted! "Understanding your Cat" by Dr. Michael Fox is a good book, older, so might be hard to find. Shelby is a lovely girl, well done you for taking steps to improve her health and happiness!

Jane
16-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Yay so glad she'll be going to the vet and her owner is okay with it :) Let us know how it goes.

Jac
16-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I've just had a chat with John, and hes agreed to come to the vets with myself and Darren to get her lump seen, mange treated, and update all her vaccinations, worming and flea-ing too! :D

Step one complete! We're going on Tuesday!

FANTASTIC NEWS!! I'm so pleased. let us know how you get on. As for the food, yes I'd go for Senior food.

Grete
16-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Yay well done!!

sarahd
16-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi
If she is being sick and has the runs. A good idea maybe not to feed her on wet food (IE whiskas or felix). Just give her boiled chicken and ask at the vets for some Feline ID. That is a very bland food but for some reason cats love it and it will help with her diorrhea and sickness fingers crossed.
Then once she settles down and her tummy seems better reintroduce wet food slowly by putting a little at a time in with the ID and gradually reducing back to just felix or whiskas. It worked a treat with one of my cats so just a thought for you.

Good luck

Sarah
x

Elaine
16-09-2007, 07:40 PM
OMG that had me in tears reading about the poor darling. John needs a bloody slap. What he has done it out and out cruelty, but you already know that.
Good on ya for wanting to make a difference to her sorry existance. I hope all goes well at the vets and she has a happy ever after life from now on in.
Wishing you both lots of love and best wishes. xxx

Whiley
16-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Thank you all so much lovelies! So looking forward to having her happy and healthy! And thanks for the tip Sarah i'll bare that in mind when we go to the vet. Anything to make her more comfortable.

Thankfully it didn't get to the point of slappage Elaine, but if the needs arrise, you can garuntee i will!

Happy days!

whiskey
16-09-2007, 09:40 PM
well done im sure you will make her a very happy kitty:)

Whiley
19-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Okay, so updates for you!

Just got back from the vet, turns out that the scabs were not mange [thank heavens] but actually an allergy to fleas, so shes had treatment for that and we've been reassured that will improve within a few days.
Shes been wormed and fleaed as well, all good.
The lumps are potentially worrying, we're going back in a week for the vet to check over her lumps in case they've grown, if they have, they're likely mammery lumps, and he says the prognosis is not usually brilliant with mammery lumps in cats. :(
Heres hoping they're just old lady hard lumps.
She'll also get all her vaccinations on her next visit too.
All in all shes a jolly happy bunny, she has new bling now [a cute pink bell collar to wear inside so we can keep track of where in the house she is] plus her new slicker brush which we're going to have a nice session with later, plus new bowls for while shes inside.

She seems very happy, is always around/on top of one of us while inside, and hopefully on the mend, just those lumps to worry about now!

babycakes
19-09-2007, 03:50 PM
I am horrified to read about this blatant neglect why would someone object to someone else caring for an animal if they don't want to??? Tell him where to get off or you will report him! :evil:

Anyway now I'm off my soap box :oops: Well done to you. The cat is absoloutely beautiful and loves a cuddle by the looks of it. :D You have taken on a lot but it will be so rewarding.

dandysmom
19-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Excellent news, except for the lumps, and will send good vibes that they're not serious! She must be so happy now...a cuddle to Shelby and a well done to you!!

Whiley
19-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Thank you loves!
John seems to be waking up a bit now, hes footing the bill, paying her more attention, etc, but still is very narky.
The problem is he is taking my words of encouragement for him to care for her as accusations and taking them personally- i'm a civil person so its annoying as i'm pussyfooting it around to the extreme and he still doesn't understand that i interest is in Shelbs, not making him feel guilty [though he should be]!

Anyway, Shelby is now sitting comfortably on the sofa with us having scritches with my partner Darren while he reads his book. She is deffinately growing to like this comfy cosy lifestyle.

kado
19-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Thankfully she has you too take care of her. Give her a big hug from me please and more pics too as well.

jane

alexgirl73
19-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Brilliant news Whiley! I'm so glad to hear that this beautiful girl is being looked after properly at last! Well done to you. Keeping my fingers crossed that the lumps aren't serious!

Whiley
19-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys!!
Heres a photo i took an hour or two ago.
This is my chappie Darren, and Shelbyson her spot on the sofa both having a nap.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/Whileywoo/shelby/dazandshelby.jpg

All together now, one, two, three...

Aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrr!

Elaine
19-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Thats such a brilliant picture. She looks so relaxed bless her. xxx

kado
19-09-2007, 07:10 PM
One contented pussy cat you have there.

jane

Grete
19-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I responded to the picture thread without realising who the kitty was. I want to both cry and laugh - the photo shows how relaxed she is and she must be so happy at her change in fortune. To be inside in the warm, with cuddles and fuss and having someone care about her. I just hope the lumps aren't serious but if they are, at least you will have given her what she deserves until it's time for her to go to the rainbow bridge. Thankyou so much.

dandysmom
19-09-2007, 07:57 PM
That pic almost made me choke up a bit too...the contrast to the life she'd been living and how contented, safe, warm and loved that she is now...
Forgive my frankness, but John ought to be ashamed of himself!

Whiley
20-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Well i can report back that we think John is ashamed of himself now. He has been paying so much more attention to her now, although that is admittedly only when i've let her in and when she goes up to him, but its still more than has happened recently.

I'm becoming very very attached to her. I adore her! I can't begin to think what life would be like without her now.

Thank you so much for your kind words everyone. I really do hope i have made a difference, even if its only for a short time.

I've learned so much here, i hope i can use it over and over. I want cats in my life for good now :D

Grete
20-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I really do hope i have made a difference, even if its only for a short time.

You have Whiley, never ever doubt that, you are a complete angel for taking her in and getting her health sorted and making her life better no matter how short (or how long *fingers crossed*) it might be.

She deserves the very best and you've given her that.

SO *Hugs*

dandysmom
20-09-2007, 08:20 PM
You've made a tremendous difference in this little girl's life! I hope it will be a long and happy one, but if not she will be very happy and loved thanks to you! Three cheers for Whiley!!!

Grete
20-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Hip hip Hooray! :-D

Whiley
21-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Eee you've got my crying into my cup of tea now :D :D

You're all so lovely. I really hope things work out for our beautiful girl.

Yesterday morning the neighbours terrier got loose and cornered her, she was so scared. :( i ran out there like a nutter and the dog pegged it, and she threw herself into my arms, and wouldn't leave my side til i had to go to work.

She is an angel. <3

I had a 10 hour shift yesterday so when i finally got back, i found her sprawled over the sofa with both John and Darren, apparently had been in that position since i left, and they're deffinately showing her more affection...

Hey, at this rate maybe if i convince Darren i can juggle all my ratties and Shelby, maybe i'll wangle getting me a rescue moggie kitten :D

Elaine
21-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Aww now wouldnt that be just fab:D xxx

alexgirl73
21-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Here's hoping you can sweet talk him lol!

dandysmom
21-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Work on it, girl!!!

AnnShoebridge
21-09-2007, 11:22 PM
:D What a lovely story and you really are an ANGEL Whiley. I really hope there is a happy ever after. xxxx to you and Shelby

Whiley
26-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Hey all!
A quick update!
Shelby is in such a great condition now! Her skin has tightened up, the weight is back on her in the right places, fur is shiny and scabby bits are almost gone. A very happy girl all in all, and shes coming out of her shell!

I've never noticed her do 'funny' things, she sort of just rubs legs and curls up in places and thats about it, but last night just leapt like a nutter from one sofa to the other and snuggled up under the sleeping back and i was snuggling in infront of a movie! So funny!

I would like to add, that before i even had a chance to order her different food, after i mentioned that the vet said she needed a better diet, low and behold, i open the cupboards and find several boxes of Whiskas senior pouches :D And John is making a big deal of making sure i see it all happening too, which i find hysterical, but sweet.

She has her secondary apppointment tonight, and will update after that! :D

Grete
26-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Awww that's great Whiley :) Please keep us updated on how she goes :)

I think it's a great indication of how comfortable and well she is feeling that she's starting to do mad cat stuff :)

dandysmom
26-09-2007, 03:55 PM
What progress! She feels well enough and secure enough now to do silly cat things!
Wonderful!!

Kay
26-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Hope everything goes well at the vets. You have done wonders for Shelby and at re-educating John. You should feel very proud. Shelby is looking absolutely gorgeous.