PDA

View Full Version : What should I do

Claire m
15-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Ebony is a very fussey eater and recently the wet food she has had for 4 years has been discontinued by purina, what is the best way to get her to eat a different brand, I have tryed a few but she just turns her nose up at it all, my OH half suggested that I take her dry food away from her so she will eat the wet food but I feel she would not eat at all what would you do.

Thanks claire xxx

Donna
15-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Could you give her the wet food first and if she eats a little bit of the wet, then treat her with a handful of dry food? Until she eats more wet as she gets used to it?

Mags
15-09-2007, 04:09 PM
You could also try mixing just a few of her biscuits in with the wet food ...... by trying to get them out she will have to eat some of the wet food and hopefully will begin to accept it..:cool:

Good luck, let us know how you get on...:D

dandysmom
15-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Leia prefers dry food, but since she had a bout of cystitis last year I've tried to get her to eat mostly wet. I sprinkle a handful of the dry on top of the wet, and she usually eats most of the wet too, that way. Good luck! Isn't it infuriating when the manufacturer discontinues one that they prefer??!! :roll:

Claire m
15-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Thats a very good idea shall mix her dry food with the new stuff hopefully she will eat it, god knows why they discontinue certain foods do they not think about the poor cats.:roll: :-D

Mags
15-09-2007, 06:35 PM
I hope it will work Claire! :D

dandysmom
15-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Thats a very good idea shall mix her dry food with the new stuff hopefully she will eat it, god knows why they discontinue certain foods do they not think about the poor cats.:roll: :-D

Couldn't care less about the poor cats; they care about the almighty dollar (or pound) !! If it isn't selling that well, drop it!! :roll:

Claire m
15-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Couldn't care less about the poor cats; they care about the almighty dollar (or pound) !! If it isn't selling that well, drop it!! :roll:

My thoughts exactley DM, selfish sods:roll:

sarahd
15-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Good luck.

You could even try a different wet food and maybe sprinkle some chicken or tuna in with it. Not many cats will refuse tuna lol

Sarah
x

dandysmom
15-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Good luck.

You could even try a different wet food and maybe sprinkle some chicken or tuna in with it. Not many cats will refuse tuna lol

Sarah
x
I have one! Leia will not eat fish, even people tuna! Weird cat! She also won't eat chicken!!!

Kay
17-09-2007, 09:06 PM
My friends cat will only eat wet food if she sprinkles .................. FISH FOOD on it. Might be worth a try.

dandysmom
17-09-2007, 09:10 PM
??? :shock: That's a new one! Might try it for my fussy girl; worth a try! Thanks for the tip!

Claire m
18-09-2007, 09:49 AM
My friends cat will only eat wet food if she sprinkles .................. FISH FOOD on it. Might be worth a try.

LOL funny you should say that Kay, I put some fish food on whiskers rabbit food out of shere desperation and bless ebony she gobble it up how long i will have to do this i dont know :-D but at least she is eating wet food again.

Rosie
18-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Is she an only cat? Usually only get fussy eaters when there is no competition. I go with putting wet food with a sprinkle of dry on top. If she doesn't eat it at the first offering take it away and put it down again at the next meal. Cat's very rarely become anorexic! but they are great at trying their luck on getting something they prefer. Mine have never been fussy because if they don't eat it when it goes down there are others who definitely will!

Claire m
18-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Yes Rosie she is an only cat and she certainly does try her luck but she seems to like whiskers with rabbit so i will see how she goes, fussey little madame that she is.

dandysmom
18-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Is she an only cat? Usually only get fussy eaters when there is no competition. I go with putting wet food with a sprinkle of dry on top. If she doesn't eat it at the first offering take it away and put it down again at the next meal. Cat's very rarely become anorexic! but they are great at trying their luck on getting something they prefer. Mine have never been fussy because if they don't eat it when it goes down there are others who definitely will!

Excellent observation; I should have thought of that!!! Leia wasn't at all fussy when Dandy and Patches were alive......:roll:

Kay
29-09-2007, 04:07 PM
LOL funny you should say that Kay, I put some fish food on whiskers rabbit food out of shere desperation and bless ebony she gobble it up how long i will have to do this i dont know :-D but at least she is eating wet food again.
My friend has been doing this with Fudge for years now and she is a very healthy cat.