PDA

View Full Version : Bengal Cross

John
14-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I am thinking of getting a Bengal Cross kitten..apparently the queen escaped and met up with the local tom..its 8 weeks old femail ..has anyone any thougts on this and what to look out for ..I have a choice of 2 ,going tomorrow saturday...

john

dandysmom
14-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Have you read up on Bengals, John? I think they're gorgeous animals but have no experience of them; hope someone here will be of help. My knee-jerk reaction to your post was: take both!!! :-D

Moli
14-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I am thinking of getting a Bengal Cross kitten..apparently the queen escaped and met up with the local tom..its 8 weeks old femail ..has anyone any thougts on this and what to look out for ..I have a choice of 2 ,going tomorrow saturday...

johnJac's the one to talk to John, she had a Bengal cross:)

borderdawn
14-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Well you must think about the possible health issues related to an irresponsibly bred litter of kittens. The father of the Cat may be infected with diseases that can kill the kitten at a later stage, and I expect the kittens wont have been tested for them! Another point is Bengals can be difficult cats (high energy etc) and the male cat could be feral, so you need to consider what possible temperament the kitten will grow to have.
Dawn.

John
15-09-2007, 05:55 PM
thank you Dawn..I have looked up about Bengals and have decided against it..all the reasons you state...there is someone near me that breeds Main Coons..and will have a litter shortly..has anyone any coments or have one..I have aways liked them but would like others apinions

john

borderdawn
15-09-2007, 07:31 PM
If you go to a good breeder John you will know exactly what you are getting and where its coming from, I certainly am not anti rescue, I have 2 here now and have had 2 others previously, but given the state of the feral and stary cat problem you stand a reasonable chance of getting some problems compared with if you know the background of the kitten. The breeder of the bengal is obviously very irresponsible in letting her out, likewise the tom cats owner unless he is feral, in which case he stands more than a fair chance of infecting his offspring with lethal diseases!

"Het" on here has a beautiful Maine Coon, if she sees this Im sure she will help you.
Dawn.

sarahd
15-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Hi John

We have two gorgeous Maine Coon neuter boys and both of them have fantastic temperaments. My hubby shows one of them and he is so laid back and loves fussing and cuddles.

They can be very vocal cats and tend to do a lot of chirping usually when they are playing or interracting with other cats.

Their coats are easily manageable if you keep up to brushing them and get them used to it at an early age. They have stunning markings and wonderful lynx tips.

You could always check out the Maine coon cat club website or speak to some of the committee. I know Daphne Butters is very friendly and she is a breeder of Maine coons and also a judge and will certainly point you in the right direction and advise you where she can.

Sarah

smudgley
15-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I think maine coons are beautiful, they're huge & lovely looking!

I don't know much else about them though TBH :roll:

Jac
16-09-2007, 11:59 AM
John I wish I had been on when you posted this. My bengal boy C-Fur was the biggest sookiest thing going! His father unknown, his Mum went on the ran dan! Anyway I would say dont beleive all you read. I also had a Bengal, she was timid to begin with but came round. Again no problems with her although she was a bit aloof. They got on well with the kids and the dog.
If I were you I'd go and get that little x bengal boy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/boxerlass/C-Fur/double.jpg

C-Fur to the right and Purrdie to the left.
Edited to say. There is good and bad in all breeds.

borderdawn
16-09-2007, 05:28 PM
I agree Jac, but speaking generally, Bengals are active Cats that do not take kindly to being confined, coupled with a probable feral male, it could produce hyper cats with dodgy temperaments, which for most pet owners wouldnt be easy. I think Bengals are lovely, but not the Cat for everyone.

Jac
16-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Sorry Dawn I must have missed the Feral bit:oops: . I must be honest though, I don't know If C-Fur's dad was Feral or domestic (we think he was Siamese) C-Fur got to go out and was never a problem. Well saying that his friendliness was a problem. He would go to anyone.

John
16-09-2007, 06:22 PM
thank you everyone for replying..I have always wanted a maincoon so I think I will wait for the new litter in 2/3 weeks and have a look as they live not very far from me..my cat Millie is very thin and not very well so I dont know how long she will be with me..I will miss her..

john

tilli121
25-09-2007, 10:15 PM
i have a bengal (oops litter, no papers but full pedigree not cross) i must say i was surprised at just how active she was, she used to run round the room at such a speed her spots were a blur and i had to buy extra toys to keep her interested and play with her more than i probably would have with a different breed, i also havent dared close my curtains this year as the lining has been torn to shreds from her running up them but at about 14 months old she began to calm down, shes now 17 month old and quite calm. i have recently taken in a deaf white rescue kitten to give my bengal a bit of company and although he doesn't run up the curtains he does have his moments and chases my bengal all round the room.! i wouldn't hesitate having another bengal, they are a super breed.

dandysmom
25-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi, Diane, nice to see you back! How about some more pics of the gorgeous Saffy?
And the little rescue boy?

tilli121
25-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Hi, Diane, nice to see you back! How about some more pics of the gorgeous Saffy?
And the little rescue boy?

thanks dandysmom, nice to be remembered, will see what i can do, haven't been on for a while as i couldn't remember the name of the website but saw it on mentioned on another one and here i am again.

Mags
25-09-2007, 10:41 PM
thanks dandysmom, nice to be remembered, will see what i can do, haven't been on for a while as i couldn't remember the name of the website but saw it on mentioned on another one and here i am again.
Bookmark it while you think of it Diane ;):D
It is good to see you back too! :D

dandysmom
25-09-2007, 10:41 PM
:-D I hope you bookmarked us this time!!

tilli121
25-09-2007, 10:57 PM
how do you bookmark something????

dandysmom
25-09-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm a Mac user (the only one on this Forum, I think!), but at the top of the screen is a list of thing, like, File Edit, View, etc. and one is Bookmark. Just click on that and it should ask you if you want to bookmark that page....I assume PCs must have something similar...it keeps a list of all your favorites and you don't have to type it in every time, just click on it in the Bookmark list! I couldn't live without it!

tilli121
25-09-2007, 11:23 PM
don't have the bookmark thing but there is a favourites tab which is the same thing so have saved to favourites now.....

john,
sorry for hijacking your thread, and good luck with your new kitten whichever breed you choose......

John
26-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi tilli..no problem..nice to see you back..