PDA

View Full Version : Patch is being neutered :)

Jane
10-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Well...it's true, Patch is finally being neutered! :D If anyone doesn't know I'm 13, so obviously I couldn't force my parents to get him done/take him to the vet myself to get him done etc so please bare in mind that I did all I could! He is about 14 months old now I think. (wow, I just realised, he's been with us for a year and 2 days!)

Well, there's this oldish (I think lol) couple that live about three doors down..they have a couple of cats which Patch got into a fight with last week or something (both of them but at different times :roll: bad kitty :() so he came round and apparently (was upstairs) explained that basically he was worried about his cats, when he had them neutered they didn't want to find any more etc etc. (which I'd already explained to my parents but you know what they are like!!). Anyway, apparently this guy knows someone from the cats protection league and got in touch with them..they called us the other day to talk about neutering him..they (she's called Ruth btw apparently :P) then called back today and she has booked him into the vets for Thursday morning. They are coming to collect him Wednesday afternoon at 3:30pm (ack..I usually get home about that time from school, will walk really fast to say bye to my baby :(), he will be done thursday morning then brought home thurday some time.

Well...that was long :lol: I'm glad he's finally being done - I've wanted him to be done for aggggggggggges and it's finally here.

I admit I'm really worried about him..he's not very people friendly in general and I'm scared he's gunna go crazy and attack the vet person or the CPL person :( Doesn't help that the CPL woman said they could humanely catch him if he was aggressive, and my brothers goes "sounds more like they want to humanely kill him to me" and I know they wouldn't do that but I'm scared now lol.

So yep...wonder if anyone actually read the whole post :lol:
also, any tips for getting him into the carrier??

Jane

Elaine
10-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I am pleased he is being neutered Jane xxx
Try not to worry too much.
Have you tried putting him in a carrier before?

I'll tell you a short story, cats make bloody liars out of us constantly:lol:
I once had a cat, Woody, who had been very badly treated and fed drugs etc etc. Took him two years to begin to trust me in any way. He and Winston were best pals. He had never been to the vets in all his years since being neutered as a youngster. One day he wasnt quite himself and I called the vet, I told them he didnt like people and had been badly treated. Got him in the cat carrier (eventually), he went mental all the way to the vets, made loads of noise, thrashed about so much that I was frightened for him.
We got to the vets, the vet had great huge gauntlets on and was prepared for him to come screaming out of the cat box.
I opened the door and he was the sweetest pussy cat ever and I felt really stupid.:lol:

I wish him well for his little op' xxx

yola
10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Jane, he will be scared and may well put up a fight. But CP will NEVER harm a healthy animal and there are ways of ensuring the cat doesn't attack (ways which will not harm Patches in any way).

I'm happy that he will at last be 'done'. He'll be a happier cat for it. I had an ex-stray that was entire who we had neutered and he turned into a soppy old lap cat soon after!

Don't worry, for boy-cats the op is very straightforward! And good on you for all your persuasive work on your parents :-D

Jane
10-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys :)

Elaine - I hope that does happen :lol: but I doubt it..either way, you're right, the vet will be prepared and I assume they get cats like him (and worst) regularly? He's never been in his carrier before..no...well, only to like sit in then walk out of. I think we'll put it down in the living room today so he can go in and out..good idea or not?

yola - thanks..just my brother scared me into thinking well..I dunno what lol. I hope he does become a bit friendlier...but hey, if not, atleast he'll not be creating baby Patchikins (as cute as they would be :lol:)

Mags
10-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Yes, I read it all Jane! ;)

I'm so pleased that Patch is going to be neutered at last, it will be far better for him too.

We all know the responsibility wasn't on your young shoulders Jane and you have told us that you've passed on all the advice you have received from Catsey to your parents....thank you;) The important thing is that with Patch being neutered on Thursday, that will be one less cat being able to add to overwhelming rescue population.

I'm sure all will go well for him........give him a few extra cuddles from us..:D

Elaine
10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I leave the carrier out all the time with their blankets in so that they are never scared of the carrier. They often sleep in it. Sadly Eva has a womans instinct and knows when she is going to the vets so I normally wrap her in one of her blankets or a towel and then just shove her fat ass inside:lol:
Once inside she isnt a problem.
Bernie on the other hand is no problem to get into the carrier, its once he's in there the meows for Scotland and sticks his skinny black legs through the cage door and grabs you with his claws:? .

Maybe put his fav blanket and a wee treat in there over the next few days to let him get used to it. Then on the day he is due to be picked up, maybe an extra special treat to entice him in, if he's not already asleep in it that is.;)

dandysmom
10-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I know it's easy to say, Jane, but try not to worry, as everyone has said it's a simple operation for boys, and the CPL people and the vet are trained handing upset/hysterical/angry cats. They will not hurt Patch! I'm so glad it's finally being done' he will be a calmer, happier cat once the hormones are out of his system! Lots of ((hugs))) and let us know how he is when he gets home!! xxx

borderdawn
10-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Well done Jane, for talking your parents round, you have acted very responsibly. Im sure Patch will be fine and he cant get any Cats pregnant now and in all probablility wont want to be off fighting,

Grete
10-09-2007, 11:56 PM
With regards to the carrier, I have to use gravity with Bubbles. She refuses to go in if I try and put her in normally (including sticking out all 4 paws on the edges and no amount of dislodging with a hand can match the speed of those paws.

Now I put the carrier up on end, pick her up and then gently drop her into the opening, it takes her a moment to realise and you can get the door shut :)

Hope that helps and well done for working at getting him neutered, it should help calm him down too :)

dandysmom
11-09-2007, 02:01 AM
With regards to the carrier, I have to use gravity with Bubbles. She refuses to go in if I try and put her in normally (including sticking out all 4 paws on the edges and no amount of dislodging with a hand can match the speed of those paws.

Now I put the carrier up on end, pick her up and then gently drop her into the opening, it takes her a moment to realise and you can get the door shut :)

Hope that helps and well done for working at getting him neutered, it should help calm him down too :)

That's exactly the only way I could get Sultan into the carrier ! I'd hide it behind the door and then grab him and pop him into it before he realized what was happening! :-D

Grete
11-09-2007, 05:22 AM
That's exactly the only way I could get Sultan into the carrier ! I'd hide it behind the door and then grab him and pop him into it before he realized what was happening! :-D

Lol glad I'm not the only one who has to use subterfuge ;) The little minx refuses to come out again too, when we get to the vets and have to 'pour' her out. Have to keep the carrier door closed as well during the visit or she darts back in at any opportunity :roll:

*Touch wood* she has been healthy enough over the years to only need her twice yearly appointments.

dinahsmum
11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Jane - Patch will be fine. Bet you will notice him getting a more solid figure and maybe even being more cuddly. And he won't go out fighting and getting infected wounds and, of course, he won't be making any surprise kittens.

Kay
11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
So glad your parents have finally come round. I am sure everything will be fine and he will be back with you before you no it so don't worry.

By the way I read all your post as well.

alexgirl73
11-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Wonderful news Jane, and Patch will be absolutely fine! And I'm sure you'll feel very relieved that he's finally neutered.

Jane
11-09-2007, 04:19 PM
:lol: I was scared that there would be some argument happening when I saw how many replies there are XD

Well, thanks everyone! :D

Unfortunately, he doesn't have a favourite blanket, so we can't put that in the carrier...well, unless we are going to cut up the carpet and shove the sofa in there :lol: (he refuses to sleep where he's meant to..typical kitty ;)) but last night I put the cat carrier in the living room with a lovely PINK blanket in it for him..hopefully he'll go in, I dunno...but anyway, it's there if he wants to explore it.

When we (me and my sister - I was at her house) took her kitty to be neutered (well, for the health check before neutering) he wouldn't go in so I've seen the whole gravity thing :lol: so yeah we'll probably have to do that but hopefully he wont mind.

Well, this time tomorrow he will be in his carrier in some strange van/car..or in some strange place (wherever they're taking him...to the vet to stay the night? a CPL place? no idea) my poor ikkle baby :( Hopefully he'll be okay with it all though :D

dandysmom
11-09-2007, 04:29 PM
:lol: I was scared that there would be some argument happening when I saw how many replies there are XD

Well, thanks everyone! :D

Unfortunately, he doesn't have a favourite blanket, so we can't put that in the carrier...well, unless we are going to cut up the carpet and shove the sofa in there :lol: (he refuses to sleep where he's meant to..typical kitty ;)) but last night I put the cat carrier in the living room with a lovely PINK blanket in it for him..hopefully he'll go in, I dunno...but anyway, it's there if he wants to explore it.

When we (me and my sister - I was at her house) took her kitty to be neutered (well, for the health check before neutering) he wouldn't go in so I've seen the whole gravity thing :lol: so yeah we'll probably have to do that but hopefully he wont mind.

Well, this time tomorrow he will be in his carrier in some strange van/car..or in some strange place (wherever they're taking him...to the vet to stay the night? a CPL place? no idea) my poor ikkle baby :( Hopefully he'll be okay with it all though :D
Oh he will mind, no doubt, and probably complain very loudly, but it's for his own good and he'll be a happier and healthier cat afterwards...he'll be OK! Sorry if the number of replies startled you, but they were all in support as you know now! (((hugs))).

Jane
11-09-2007, 05:11 PM
lol, you're right..he will mind :lol: and I bet he will be meowing his head off...he has a really loud meow, if there were 100 cats meowing in a room we'd be able to say which was his just by his meow haha. Hopefully he'll forgive us after not too long ;)

Jac
11-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Jane I'm so pleased for you (and Patch) I remember you asking for idea's to save up the money yourself to have him neutered.
Oh and I read all your post's:D

Mags
11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Good luck tomorrow Jane!;)

If I were you I'd be tempted to use Grete's suggestion of getting him into the carrier. Get your Mum or someone else to tip the carrier so that the opening is at the top. When you're ready, quickly pick up Patch and put him straight into the carrier, back legs first. You or the other person with you may have to gently guide his head down into the carrier, then quickly shut the door ......and hey presto, he's ready to go!

I always use this method with Cassie as no way will she go in head first...:lol: He will object at first like most cats do but he will soon settle....:D

Elaine
11-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Just one last thought for Patch and making him feel a little less stressed. Is it possible for you to put in an old t-shirt of yours or something with your smell on it. It may help to reasure him just a little.
All the very best for the boy tomorrow xxx

Jane
11-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks Jac :D Yep, that was me lol ;)

Mags..I think we will do that..I think we already *know* it wont be easy to get him in there..this is Patch we're talking about XD thanks

Elaine - that's a really good idea actually..he loves one of mums jumpers so I'll ask her if we can put that in there - any ideas how we can get there hairs out of it when he gets home hahaha? :P

Elaine
11-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Erm............................no:lol:

dandysmom
11-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Good luck tomorrow Jane!;)

If I were you I'd be tempted to use Grete's suggestion of getting him into the carrier. Get your Mum or someone else to tip the carrier so that the opening is at the top. When you're ready, quickly pick up Patch and put him straight into the carrier, back legs first. You or the other person with you may have to gently guide his head down into the carrier, then quickly shut the door ......and hey presto, he's ready to go!

I always use this method with Cassie as no way will she go in head first...:lol: He will object at first like most cats do but he will soon settle....:D

Head first was the only way I could get Sultan in !! Feet first and he'd manage to leap out before I could get it shut ....:-D

Jane
11-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Erm............................no:lol:

Hahaha :lol: :lol:

Well mum is now wearing an old top today and tomorrow until he goes to try and get her scent on it ;)

Grete
11-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Hehe they all have their ways don't they :)

Jane, he isn't going to be pleased and he will complain and act like he hates you but he will get over it and so will you :)

You are doing the best possible thing for him you can and he will be much better for it, so please, keep telling yourself that as you go through it all :)

Good luck tomorrow *hugs*

Mags
11-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Maybe wear some earplugs tomorrow Jane!! ;) :-D

Jane
11-09-2007, 09:01 PM
LOL earplugs would be good ;)

Well, I'll be worrying allllll day tomorrow, need to walk home really fast so I get to say bye...will miss him all night, be worryiing how he is on his own in a strange place...then worry alllllll day at school on thursday..sounds fun..not :( but hey I know it's for the best and I'm glad he's finally being done so it's worth me worrying about him XD

Kay
12-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Fingers crossed for you and Patch today.

dandysmom
12-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here also .......

Jane
12-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys! ;)

Well, my baby is gone for the night :( Was really easy to get into his carry cage - put it on the floor, was plaiyng with him/feeding him treats...offered him a treat, he sniffed it, I threw it into the carry cage..he ran in, his bum was sticking out so I just pushed it in and closed the door behind him, so all went well there ;)

Apparently she will pick him up from the vet about 3pm tomorrow so he should be home about 3:30pmish.

Gunna be so weird without him :S Hope everything goes okay :(

Grete
12-09-2007, 05:15 PM
So glad he went into the carrier OK :) Much less stressful for you both :)

Fingers crossed for him having his pockets emptied :)

Mags
12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
So pleased to hear the first stage (getting him into the carrier!) went alright Jane ...... be prepared for him to hate that carrier from now on though!;):lol:

You are bound to miss him a lot tonight and worry over him, that's only natural, but he will be fine and you'll have him back home with you in no time.:D

Kay
12-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Glad it went well for you both today. He will be back with you before you know it.

Elaine
12-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Well done you for getting him into the carrier so easily:D
Dont worry, he will be fine and will be back home again being a nuisance in no time at all.:lol:

Jane
12-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys ;)

So worried..wonder what he's doing :( Hope he's okay and not too lonely or stressed :(

dandysmom
12-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Try not to worry, Jane; he will be a bit stressed at what's happening, but they will take good care of him for you, and he'll be home tomorrow! I'm pleased you got him in the carrier easily, and as Mags said, won't be so easy next time, lol!

Jane
13-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Woo! I'm so happy :D

Patch is home and he's fine :) The CPL woman said he was really nice at the vet, didn't bite anyone, wasn't aggressive at all etc. She says he was a role model to the other kitties haha. Bless him :)

He had a pee in his carrier on the way home lol..he was looking for food so I fed him and he's eaten a whole pouch already (he usually only eats like 3/4s of a pouch and leaves the rest for later) the greedy thing :)

Also they seem to have brushed him because he's looking smaller :lol: and he also had a matt in his tail which they've shaved out ;)

Very happy :D

Elaine
13-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Aww bless him. What did I tell you, they make damned liars out of us worried cat carers:lol:.
Glad everything went well, in a few weeks he'll be a different cat, calmer and less agressive.
Give him cuddles for me please and have one yourself for all your worrying.:D ;)

alexgirl73
13-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Brilliant to hear he is home safe and sound. ((hugs)) from me too!

dandysmom
13-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Glad it went so well and that he behaved like a good boy! :D I know how happy you must be to have it over with and Patch home again and eating...! (((hugs))) to you and a cuddle to Patch!!

borderdawn
13-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Pleased he is OK Jane.

Grete
13-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Yay, I'm really pleased he's home and well and was a good boy while he was away :)

Donna
13-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Glad he is home and doing well x

Moli
13-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Good to hear he is home and doing well....

Jane
13-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone :D Was worrying about him allllll day. Walked home really slowly so I wasn't sat around waiting, got in at about 3:25, he was due to be home at 3:30...it gets to 3:31 and we're all stressing out haha :lol: but he was home about 3:32. :D

He's been sleeping...eating...a bit of exploring...more sleeping...sleeping...and now, he's sleeping :)

Mags
13-09-2007, 08:59 PM
So pleased it all went well Jane........I'm glad he behaved himself at the vets too!:lol:

He'll be almost back to normal tomorrow and hopefully in the weeks to come you will find you have a much friendlier cat...:D ((((hugs)))) to you for your stressful day and cuddles to Patch for being a good boy!:D

yola
13-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Delighted to read that Patch is home and starting to return to normal. Boy cats bounce back really quickly so hopefully tomorrow he'll be back to his old self :D

Jane
14-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks :D He's definately himself again :) Well...not his normal self, but he's feeling better! He seems to be have been nicer today, but pretty sure that's just a coincidence because surely the whole neutering wouldn't make it a bit friendlier that soon?

*shrug* either way, whether he becomes no friendlier or become a lovely ikkle kitty cat atleast he's done now :D

Kay
17-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Glad Patch is ok now. Give him some time for everything to settle down and then you may see some changes in his temprement