PDA

View Full Version : Tuscan soup

dandysmom
08-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Zuppa de Brodo i Pomidori (Stale Bread Soup)

Sprig of fresh rosemary
1 - 2 garlic cloves
good virgin olive oil
3 to 4 slices of stale bread, about 3/4 in thick ( I use baguettes)
can of beef broth
fresh ground pepper
canned tomatoes
pinch of oregano
finely shredded mozzarella cheese

Peel and slice the garlic, strip the leaves from the rosemary stem and add to pan with a generous amount of olive oil...the bread is going to sop up most of it, so use a lot. Put the beef broth on to simmer with a couple of good grinds of black pepper. Heat the garlic/rosemary till the garlic is almost browned, then discard and add the slices of bread. Cook till well browned, then turn over and brown the other side. Add more olive oil if necessary. Add the bread to the broth (you would think it would disintegrate and/or become mushy, but it doesn't.) Add some (as much as you'd like) coarsely chopped tomatoes to taste, and a pinch of oregano; simmer. Sprinkle with a generous amount of the cheese. Enjoy. This is a serving for one.

You notice this doesn't call for salt, that's because canned tomatoes here in the States are much higher in sodium than in the UK: a 14 oz, tin has 190 mg! I was surprised to learn that last year on here when we were discussing food... you might want to add salt. I usually slice the bread beforehand and just let it sit until it's quite hard.

dinahsmum
08-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Mmmm, very nice!

Mags
08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Sounds very tasty!:D

dandysmom
08-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Babycakes asked for this recipe: it is really very good!

babycakes
08-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Can't wait to try it but may have to wait until I come back I love making soup it's so good in the winter

dandysmom
08-09-2007, 07:57 PM
I love soup, make it Summer and Winter both!