PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Dog...

Fran
04-09-2007, 09:37 AM
I've booked my girls onto an Adventure Dog day

http://www.dogfriendly.demon.co.uk/agility/agility.html

Oh and the chocolate puppy on that page (Tau) is Ruby's sister from Maddie's last litter ;)

She is also going, so it's going to be a lovely day. Hubby is handling Maddie and I am Ruby's handler. Should be a lot of fun!

dinahsmum
04-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Sounds fabulous! Lucky girls

smudgley
04-09-2007, 09:43 AM
That looks fab Fran, what a great idea. :cool:

borderdawn
04-09-2007, 09:43 AM
These are usually very good Fran, the Border Terrier club do these activity days too, they are very well supported. We do agility, tracking, working trials etc... (not allowed proper terrier work :() Enjoy yourself.
Dawn.

LucySiamese
04-09-2007, 10:17 AM
That looks like fun Fran! :cool: Enjoy the day!

Tau looks lovely too! i love choc labs :D

Erin
04-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Thatlooks like a real fun day out Fran,have a great time :D

Moli
04-09-2007, 12:01 PM
That looks great fun, wish I could take my lot to something like that...

Mags
04-09-2007, 12:11 PM
That looks like it'll be a great day out Fran, I hope you all have fun there! :D

Jane
04-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Hope you have a great day ;) ..lots of pics to follow? :D

Fran
04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Hope you have a great day ;) ..lots of pics to follow? :D

Will do our best to get some piccies Jane ;)

Kay
14-10-2007, 09:51 PM
How did the Adventure day go with the girls? Did you and Ruby win or Martin and Maddie?

Fran
14-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Well it was Adventure dog today :D The girls competed against each other in different teams. Both girls surprised both us and the trainers at Adventure dog just how well they did and we have been invited back :cool: and have been encouraged to get the girls trained up for working Trials :shock:
Maddie who was handled by hubby gained her Adventure dog excellent certificate and Ruby, handled by me but very ovbiously much younger than Maddie at not quite 14 months, handled by me, gained her Adventure dog certificate :cool:

We are so proud of both girls, who behaved impeccably throughout the day and put their heart and souls into the tasks set, having never done these things before. Well done girls!!

Needless to say that both the girls and hubby and I are absolutely shattered this evening but what a lovely day. We shall certainly go again! I'm afraid that it was such an intensive day that we didn't managed any piccies :(

Fran
14-10-2007, 09:57 PM
How did the Adventure day go with the girls? Did you and Ruby win or Martin and Maddie?

I'm afraid Martyn won :roll: But both girls were winners in our eyes and Ruby for her age and experience, impressed the judges very very much, they seriously want me to consider training for her :shock:

smudgley
14-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Sounds excellnt fran, glad it went well. :)

Kay
14-10-2007, 10:02 PM
That's brilliant Fran. Well done all of you. Lets face it though you trained them both so Martyn didn't really win did he :lol: :lol: . Don't tell him I said that :oops: . Give Maddie and Ruby a big hug from Auntie Kay.

Fran
14-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks Kay, yes I did a bit of work with the girls to get them ready for today as hubby works a lot and has less time. I could never have predicted what the tasks would be as they differ on each adventure day and we have never been to one before....

The first task was a search a square, Ruby managed to find 9 articles including 3 'bonus' articles (The most any dog found in our team :shock: ) Maddie was not as good at this but managed a few articles.

The second test and both girls excelled at this - agility. Bear in mind that the girls have never been through tunnels or jumped through tyres and have never climbed up ramps walked along a plank and back down again but both girls did all these tasks :shock: Maddie was a littel quicker in time than Ruby. We missed out the really big jumps and 'A' frames, seesaw etc and we were not penisilzed as these could be dangerous for dogs that have not been trained in these.

The next test was searching for people. One group hid and the other group and their dogs found and then the roles were reversed. Our group managed to find one more person than hubby's group :cool:

The last test involved a number of articles which you had to use to get all the dogs in your team to the other side of the field (and this was quite a distance) but without any dog's paws touching the ground :? Each dog had to have a different method for doing this task and this was the most demanding task of the day, trying to work out our options with the materials available :? Both Maddie and Ruby got to the other end of the field on bails of hay. The bales were rolled and the girls walked on them like on a treadmil is the best way I can describe. maddie was slightly quicker at this than Ruby who was a little unsure at first until she got the idea and understood what was expected of her.

It was a brilliant day and far from being red faced as we imagined we might be, we came away, very proud labbie owners indeed! :cool:

Kay
14-10-2007, 10:51 PM
That is really fantastic. Bet you can't wait till the next one now.

random
14-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Sounds great, I wish my Maddy was more sociable as she'd love this.

Glad you had a good time! :D Well done to the girls too!

charliebubs
15-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Sounds like it was a wonderful (but tiring) day!!!

Well done to your girls - and to you and Martyn. :):):)

Keep us posted on their trials.

borderdawn
15-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Sounds excellent, well done the girls!

Fran
16-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks all, yes it was a lovely day, with real team spirit. I'd encourage any dog owners to have a go. All you have to ensure is that your dog has good recall, will retrieve and is friendly around other dogs...