PDA

View Full Version : Boarding Catteries

babycakes
01-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Denis stays in a cattery whilst we go on holiday. I spent a long time finding a suitable one and one that I feel comfortable leaving my cat with. the following things were very important to me

Cleanliness, (smell of the place, hygiene, litter trays emptied)
Diet, (varied and adhered to)
Space, (bed away from litter tray room to walk about)
Ownership, (friendly, inquisitive, reassuring)
Safety, (locked pens etc)
Health, (vaccines updated, vet on standby)

We are looking to go away for a last minute break and my usual one is fully booked (also a good sign), and I have scoured for another!!!! I cannot believe some of them! It's money for old rope in some cases. Some of the above is not done re: cleanliness and interest in my cat and me (yes I may sound like a neurotic wierdo, but I don't want to worry about him when I'm not there) and some are just minging to say the least

Am I sounding OCD wanting my cat to have a comfortable stay in a clean, well cared for place,with loving people who understand my cat??

Mags
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
You have every right to expect a certain standard from a Cattery who will look after Denis while you are away. The owners of the Cattery must be genuine cat lovers and not in the business just for gain.

I have used the same cattery for over 20 years, and I am very happy to entrust my cat with them. When I have gone there to collect Cassie or Sam (my previous cat), I have often noticed the owner, or one of the girls who works there, in with one of cats on her lap and she has been grooming it with a rubber glove.:D

Oh.... and it is most important that the Cattery checks that every cats' vaccinations are up to date...

dinahsmum
01-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Totally agree.
When OH went to pick up the boys last time he found the owner and Chester wrapped in each others arms, having a love -in! First time they went she said she wasn't going to give Bentley back (he was about 6 months and very loveable at the time) - but she did!

babycakes
01-09-2007, 02:33 PM
My usual cattery is like that, the lady knows who I am as soon as I ring, even though he has only been there twice, and she has hundreds of cats staying there.
He isn't very sociable with her, probably doesn't want to be disloyal (ha), and she said she had tried everything even 'blinking at him' which I though was excellent as me and Denis do that with each other all the time.
Then she told me that Denis had spent time chatting up the female in the next pen, chirping to her all night and she was very pleased he had shown that side of himself.
She also watches the bond between cat and owner and likes seeing that he is loving with me and not just taking my word for it.

dandysmom
01-09-2007, 04:08 PM
You're not unreasonable at all, the conditions you require are what every cattery should offer, and sadly, some don't.....

mable1718
02-09-2007, 09:09 AM
I hope you find a good catery

borderdawn
02-09-2007, 04:54 PM
If you are unhappy with conditions report it to the lisencing environmental health officer, he is the ONLY one that can make them pull their socks up, and if reported, he MUST visit them, usually on spec and address the situation.
Dawn.

babycakes
02-09-2007, 07:21 PM
If you are unhappy with conditions report it to the lisencing environmental health officer, he is the ONLY one that can make them pull their socks up, and if reported, he MUST visit them, usually on spec and address the situation.
Dawn.

I was wondering if there was somewhere that I could do that Thanks Dawn

babycakes
02-09-2007, 07:28 PM
I got one today very pleased with even the little things such as how I was greeted and interest in my boy!!

Kazz
02-09-2007, 07:38 PM
How do you find a good cattery then???? my two never stayed in a cattery but the next ones will from kittens......so how do you find a good one....

Mags
02-09-2007, 08:18 PM
How do you find a good cattery then???? my two never stayed in a cattery but the next ones will from kittens......so how do you find a good one....
This link gives you a check list for what to look out for etc Kazz ...... it will give you some idea...

http://www.pedigreepens.co.uk/goodcattery.htm

This is where Cassie goes and it was the description that first caught my eye... :D

http://www.manningsmeadcattery.co.uk/

babycakes
02-09-2007, 09:56 PM

I looked up the ones in my area and visited each one in turn, it pays to visit as you will know where you want to leave your baby

borderdawn
02-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Well, the first thing is to have a look, and i mean turn up unnannouced during their opening hours. Ask to look if they say no, or you need an appointment, just leave, if they are expecting a visit, it gives them time to make an impression, you wnat to see the "usual" condition of things.

Is it clean, does it smell? The pens should be light and clean, there should be a litter box, water bowl, bed etc.. Catteries should be heated, can be done by several ways, we use canac heated beds. they run on a thermostat and stay on when its cool and switch off when it gets too hot, we leave them on permanently as the thermo regulates the heat. Look to see if the cat will have access to its tray at night, I expect most will but how is this done? We shut the main door to retain heat, but leave the cat flap open with a ladder down to the floor, some cats dont know how to use flaps, so we pin them open so every cat has easy access.

Ask what they feed, you may want to bring your own food, this shouldnt be a problem. With regards medication, you must bare in mind that a stranger has to put this tablet down your cats throat, given that most owners struggle with this, you must be aware that there may be problems doing this, and if the tablet goes in food, you have to assume your cat will eat immediately which is not the case with some for their fist day or so.

Ask what the price includes. They have to be insured, what does it cover? NO cattery insurance will cover existing conditions, or one your cat may of previously had, so something like "Cystitis" that can be bought on by stress will not be covered if you cat has had it before. Does the price include VAT etc..

Do they ask questions about your Cat? We want to know everything we possibly can about a Cat or dog to ensure we can look after them to the best of our ability. We always ask for a contact number in case of emergency too.

Anything else? Just ask.
Dawn.

Kazz
02-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Tell you what Dawn I'll just come to yours ;) but beware I am fussy...Oz and Cleat never got left anywhere I saw a few catteries when they were about 5-7 years old so many years ago and the smell was the first thing that hit me and the darkness .... so they stayed home and family came into them, But the catflap was locked I never "trusted" Oz to come home if I was not there.
But I would have trusted you with them, in your cattery. (no jest) but 'd have to check it out first. ;)

borderdawn
02-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Your welcome to check me out!! :mrgreen:

Kazz
03-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Dawn before I'd leave any animal of mine anywhere I''d even check out St. Francis of Assisi himself.

But I know you should check out a boarding kennels/cattery thoroughly.

Deb
09-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Well, the first thing is to have a look, and i mean turn up unnannouced during their opening hours. Ask to look if they say no, or you need an appointment, just leave, if they are expecting a visit, it gives them time to make an impression, you wnat to see the "usual" condition of things.

Dawn.

This is the first time I've posted so hello to everyone and sorry to start with a gripe.
It is rather rude to just turn up and expect to be shown round on demand! A cattery proprietior is usually extremely busy and the care and welfare of the cats must come first, over and above the demands of owners to fit into their time schedule. If the proprietor is in the middle of feeding, grooming, medicating or cleaning it can be extremely disruptive to have to drop everything in order to show a prospective client around.:cat17 As for giving them time to make an impression, this would be very difficult to achieve if the cattery was not usually kept in a presentable condition.
It is amazing and worrying but anybody is actually allowed to open a cattery without having to have had any training or even knowing the first thing about cats. Even if the premises look nice that is no guarantee that the proprietor will know what he/she is doing:cat14
The best way to be ensure that the cattery is the best possible choice is to look for a Feline Advisory Bureau (FAB) listed cattery. FAB have a very stringent critera for listing a cattery and both the management of the cattery and the construction of the buildings needs to be top class. Have a look at http://www.fabcats.org/catteries/index.php for more information. Failing this, then check with other cat owners or the local vet as they will usually have an idea of the better catteries in the area. When you do go to inspect, please make an appointment, and then try to find out how knowledgeable the proprietor is about cats, as well as checking out the suitability of the facilities. I visited one cattery that was newly built in UPVC and looked lovely, but the isolation area for any cats that may become poorly whilst there was a dog cage placed in reception:cat14 Reception actually looked like a hotel reception, but the owner had not thought about the implications of putting a poorly cat in an exposed and totally unsuitable environment. Also check out how the units are cleaned, are there seperate cleaning utensils for each unit, or is there a shared dustpan and brush, hoover and mop which is just asking for spread of infection.
There are some very good catteries around, but also lots of appalling ones.

Hope this helps

Deb

Mags
09-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi Deb, welcome to Catsey!

If you go to our Introductions section, on the link below, our members will be able to give you a proper welcome!

http://www.catsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

borderdawn
09-09-2007, 04:54 PM
This is the first time I've posted so hello to everyone and sorry to start with a gripe.
It is rather rude to just turn up and expect to be shown round on demand! A cattery proprietior is usually extremely busy and the care and welfare of the cats must come first, over and above the demands of owners to fit into their time schedule. If the proprietor is in the middle of feeding, grooming, medicating or cleaning it can be extremely disruptive to have to drop everything in order to show a prospective client around.:cat17 As for giving them time to make an impression, this would be very difficult to achieve if the cattery was not usually kept in a presentable condition.
It is amazing and worrying but anybody is actually allowed to open a cattery without having to have had any training or even knowing the first thing about cats. Even if the premises look nice that is no guarantee that the proprietor will know what he/she is doing:cat14
The best way to be ensure that the cattery is the best possible choice is to look for a Feline Advisory Bureau (FAB) listed cattery. FAB have a very stringent critera for listing a cattery and both the management of the cattery and the construction of the buildings needs to be top class. Have a look at http://www.fabcats.org/catteries/index.php for more information. Failing this, then check with other cat owners or the local vet as they will usually have an idea of the better catteries in the area. When you do go to inspect, please make an appointment, and then try to find out how knowledgeable the proprietor is about cats, as well as checking out the suitability of the facilities. I visited one cattery that was newly built in UPVC and looked lovely, but the isolation area for any cats that may become poorly whilst there was a dog cage placed in reception:cat14 Reception actually looked like a hotel reception, but the owner had not thought about the implications of putting a poorly cat in an exposed and totally unsuitable environment. Also check out how the units are cleaned, are there seperate cleaning utensils for each unit, or is there a shared dustpan and brush, hoover and mop which is just asking for spread of infection.
There are some very good catteries around, but also lots of appalling ones.

Hope this helps

Deb
Who said "demand?" you did! I said unnannounced and people shouldnt need an appointment, why should they? not during the hours they are open. I have managed a kennels and cattery for 15yrs and would never dream of asking somebody to make an appointment, because if you are talking of being extremely busy, then thats all the time, not just when you choose to be. Making an impression is EXACTLY what some kennels and catteries do, I have seen it, I know of one that will allow you to view within the first hour of them opening and thats it, why? because the pens have been cleaned and are probably looking respectable at that time! The type of property that request viewing times are often, no, usually the ones that take animals away from clients at the gate or reception, and dont allow owners to put them in their pens, sorry but whatever you think may not go on, does go on!

FAB? really, send them the membership money and you are on the list! They have REPEATEDLY sent us application forms to be listed, they dont visit, they dont check, they are a list of paid up members, no different to CORGI registered gas fitters!

borderdawn
09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Further to FAB, I have just looked at a few of their listed Catteries and was horrified to see NO SNEEZE barriers in several catteries!! Which of course means cross infection to a MASSIVE degree!

Deb
09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Dawn I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.
It is absolutely UNTRUE that FAB don't inspect, they actually insist on a very rigourous inspection lasting 3 hours where no stone is left unturned. FAB is an extremely well respected organisition that amongst other things hold seminars for veterinarians and provide a wealth of information for vets, breeders cat owners as well as cattery owners. You only have to take a look at their website to see the scope of involvment they have in cat welfare. FAB were also the chief driving force behind the 'Model Licence Conditions' which were brought into being to help guide councils into drawing up a suitable licencing document.
FAB do NOT send application forms to catteries, they aim to educate in order to raise standards in boarding catteries in order to improve the conditions for the welfare of cats boarding. Members of the public can inform them of a cattery that they are impressed with and in this instance they may approach the cattery concerned.
As for the catteries you mention not having sneeze barriers, I suggest you are referring to the catteries that have sneeze gaps between the units, which help to ensure that disease is not able to be carried between the units. I can assure you that there is no way that a cattery would be listed with FAB if it were any way suspect.
I don't understand why you are being so defensive, and choose to shoot down in flames such a well respected organision in cat welfare?:?
If anybody still has any doubt as to the validity of a FAB listing, I suggest they look at the FAB website www.fabcats.org and come to their own conclusions.

Deb

borderdawn
09-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Dawn I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.
It is absolutely UNTRUE that FAB don't inspect, they actually insist on a very rigourous inspection lasting 3 hours where no stone is left unturned. FAB is an extremely well respected organisition that amongst other things hold seminars for veterinarians and provide a wealth of information for vets, breeders cat owners as well as cattery owners. You only have to take a look at their website to see the scope of involvment they have in cat welfare. FAB were also the chief driving force behind the 'Model Licence Conditions' which were brought into being to help guide councils into drawing up a suitable licencing document.
FAB do NOT send application forms to catteries, they aim to educate in order to raise standards in boarding catteries in order to improve the conditions for the welfare of cats boarding. Members of the public can inform them of a cattery that they are impressed with and in this instance they may approach the cattery concerned.
As for the catteries you mention not having sneeze barriers, I suggest you are referring to the catteries that have sneeze gaps between the units, which help to ensure that disease is not able to be carried between the units. I can assure you that there is no way that a cattery would be listed with FAB if it were any way suspect.
I don't understand why you are being so defensive, and choose to shoot down in flames such a well respected organision in cat welfare?:?
If anybody still has any doubt as to the validity of a FAB listing, I suggest they look at the FAB website www.fabcats.org (http://www.fabcats.org) and come to their own conclusions.

Deb
Deb you were the one that came in all guns blazing and you are very wrong in thinking FAB dont send out applications, they HAVE sent them to us several times, possibly in the context you mention, but all the same they have and we didnt ask for them. ANYONE can be a member.

I have no doubt that FAB are acting in Cats best interests, but its misleading of you to say they only have "good" ones or ones that meet a certain criteria, they dont, providing they meet minimum guidelines, they can be listed and in any cattery put up nowadays, ALL of those criteria will be met. I also know of a couple of catteries that have NEVER been visited since they joined, and that was 4 and 5yrs ago.

Re the sneeze barriers, again, look for yourself, dont call me a liar or say I am mistaken, go look for yourself, then come back and tell me I am wrong.

Model lisencing conditions have done nothing for boarding kennels or catteries, they never will unless they change the boarding act, its up to each individual lisencing officer to say what they think is ok or not, if they are happy, the property will be lisenced, thats it, nothing else required! I am all for any organisation trying to improve animal welfare, but not at the cost of misleading people.

Accommodation isnt the only thing that makes a good cattery, I have viewed several of the listed catteries and found a lot of things that make me unhappy, for example, some of them dont have insurance, or dont mention it, some state they feed one type of food, some dont mention they will cater for animals on medication etc... all of which are vital to a well run property and should be mentioned on a website promoting it, one thing though, the FAB logo is on all of them ;) I notice that is one of their stipulations.

It appears you have some sort of loyalty to FAB and thats fine, but there is more to a good cattery than being on their list! We were featured in "Kennel and Cattery management" doesnt mean we meet certain criteria or are "in the club" does it?

We can go on all day, you believe what you believe and I believe what I do, I am happy in the knowledge that telling people to visit on spec during opening hours is the best way to guage the general feeling for a place, not to rely on an internet list, that belong to a certain registry company.
Dawn.

Deb
09-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Deb you were the one that came in all guns blazing and you are very wrong in thinking FAB dont send out applications, they HAVE sent them to us several times, possibly in the context you mention, but all the same they have and we didnt ask for them. ANYONE can be a member.

I have no doubt that FAB are acting in Cats best interests, but its misleading of you to say they only have "good" ones or ones that meet a certain criteria, they dont, providing they meet minimum guidelines, they can be listed and in any cattery put up nowadays, ALL of those criteria will be met. I also know of a couple of catteries that have NEVER been visited since they joined, and that was 4 and 5yrs ago.

Re the sneeze barriers, again, look for yourself, dont call me a liar or say I am mistaken, go look for yourself, then come back and tell me I am wrong.

Model lisencing conditions have done nothing for boarding kennels or catteries, they never will unless they change the boarding act, its up to each individual lisencing officer to say what they think is ok or not, if they are happy, the property will be lisenced, thats it, nothing else required! I am all for any organisation trying to improve animal welfare, but not at the cost of misleading people.

Accommodation isnt the only thing that makes a good cattery, I have viewed several of the listed catteries and found a lot of things that make me unhappy, for example, some of them dont have insurance, or dont mention it, some state they feed one type of food, some dont mention they will cater for animals on medication etc... all of which are vital to a well run property and should be mentioned on a website promoting it, one thing though, the FAB logo is on all of them ;) I notice that is one of their stipulations.

It appears you have some sort of loyalty to FAB and thats fine, but there is more to a good cattery than being on their list! We were featured in "Kennel and Cattery management" doesnt mean we meet certain criteria or are "in the club" does it?

We can go on all day, you believe what you believe and I believe what I do, I am happy in the knowledge that telling people to visit on spec during opening hours is the best way to guage the general feeling for a place, not to rely on an internet list, that belong to a certain registry company.
Dawn.

ANYONE can be a member.

You are quite correct. However, not anyone can be listed as a FAB approved cattery, as I stated previously they have very strict criteria that must be fulfilled, both in the construction and management of the cattery.

That is absolutely not true. Again to use the example I cited in my first post, that cattery that used the dog cage as an isolation unit would NEVER be able to be FAB Listed. It has very recently been built. As for the Listed catteries you mention, FAB visit all their Listed catteries every 3 years, after the oriiginal inspection, and the proprietors have to sign yearly to state that the management criteria is still being adhered to and that there have been no changes.

I did not call you a liar. What I said was that the catteries you mentioned may have sneeze gaps instead of barriers. In fact, it was FAB who introduced the concept of sneeze barriers in the first place. FAB are extremely strict with regards to infection risk.

Accommodation isnt the only thing that makes a good cattery, I have viewed several of the listed catteries and found a lot of things that make me unhappy, for example, some of them dont have insurance, or dont mention it, some state they feed one type of food, some dont mention they will cater for animals on medication etc... all of which are vital to a well run property and should be mentioned on a website promoting it,

FAB tke many aspects of a cattery into consideration when deciding whether to grant them Listed status, condition of the buildings being just one thing. All the points you raise are actually covered on the application form and FAB use this as a screening process to decide whether they will take the next step in inspecting or not. Just because it is not mentioned on a website it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

one thing though, the FAB logo is on all of them ;) I notice that is one of their stipulations.

It is absolutely NOT true that it is a a stipulation that Listed Catteries have the FAB logo on their websites. It actually has to be requested once the cattery gains Listed Status. Cattery proprietors are rightly proud to show that they have satisfied the rigourous criteria that FAB stipulate.

My loyalty to FAB is simply in respect for the fantastic work they are continuing to do in raising the standards of boarding catteries for the benefit of the cats who stay there. In order to be featured in Kennel and Cattery Management all you need to do is write in to them to request inclusion, in fact they ask people to do this at the end of each feature. It proves nothing.

I believe that the best way to gauge the quality of a cattery is to try to determine the proprietor's priorities. The cats' welfare should be paramount. Many cats who are away from home are nervous at the beginning, and need familiarity and routine in order to help them to settle. To allow visitors to arrive ad hoc is not condusive to a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere that is both necessary and important in making a cat feel comfortable and secure in the unfamiliar environment.

Deb.

borderdawn
09-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Welcome Deb! ;)

Go look at the sites on FAB listings!

borderdawn
09-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Taken from their site:

Listed catteries should use the FAB Listed Boarding Cattery logo artwork in their advertising, or state that they are a FAB listed cattery. They should not state "FAB approved" or in any way imply that FAB approval has been given to any other activity on the part of the cattery proprietor or at the cattery address.

Does that say to you they are required to show their logo? :roll:

Deb
09-09-2007, 09:30 PM
It says to me that they are required to state that they are a FAB listed cattery OR use the logo. It is clearly not a stipulation that they use the logo.

I also forgot to say that FAB listed catteries are required to give each and every customer a feedback form that is prepaid and addressed to FAB, so that they may rate the quality cattery in their expeience. this is another way FAB monitor the standards of their listed catteries.

Deb

borderdawn
09-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Are you on commission? Either way, whatever you say, they DID contact us on SEVERAL occasions, asking us to join them, UNREQUESTED and they were told NO on each occasion.

Do you know if they reccommend the catteries they list? I am told they will not reccommend any cattery listed and people are told they have to make their minds up themselves? Seems a bit odd if thats true.

ADDDED.
Cant be bothered with this any longer, Deb is clearly here to promote FAB and nothing else. She hasnt bothered to inroduce herself despite mags' link, so if thats the case, I cant be bothered.

Deb
09-09-2007, 09:47 PM
lol no I'm not on commission! I'm not saying that you didn't get an appliacation from, as i said they invite customers to suggest catteries for consideration, and that could be why you were sent a form. however, this does NOT mean that you would be Listed, as i explained previously the appliction form is just one step in the process.

As for whether they recommend catteries, gaining listing with FAB would mean that the cattery concerned had satisfied FAB that their standards of both management and construction of the buildings fulfill their very strigent criteria.

Taken from the FAB website

Finding the Right Cattery

Of course you may be lucky enough to live within a reasonable distance of a FAB Listed Cattery. These catteries have been inspected by FAB and measured against the FAB Standard for Construction & Management of Boarding Catteries. Both the construction and management are taken into account and Listing is a sure sign that the standards of cat accommodation and care are excellent. (see the FAB Listed Boarding Catteries) Listed catteries will display the sign shown below.

For further information look at
http://www.fabcats.org/catteries/infosheets/choosing_a_boarding_cattery/choosing_boarding_cattery.html

Deb

Deb
09-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Forgot to say that joining FAB and being a listed cattery are two completely different things. Any interested person can become a member of FAB and this entitles them to receive the FAB journal quarterly magazine etc. It is NOT at the the same as being listed!

Mags
09-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Deb, how do you know so much about FAB?

Deb
09-09-2007, 09:57 PM
I have actually tried to do the introduction but lost the post after spending ages typing a message. I then got caught up in this thread.

I am not actually here to promote FAB, but just set the record straight regarding the mis information you are quoting as fact. The information you are giving people is grossly misleading, and how one person can decide to state derisory comments about such a well respected organisation whose main aim is to improve the welfare of cats is beyond me.

I notice you have not got an answer for many of the comments I have made.

Deb
09-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Mags,

I own a FAB listed cattery, so I have been through the process of gaining listed status.

Deb

Mags
09-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi Mags,

I own a FAB listed cattery, so I have been through the process of gaining listed status.

Deb
Ah..... I see!

We would love to hear more about your cat/s some time ........ just start a new thread..:D

borderdawn
10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I have actually tried to do the introduction but lost the post after spending ages typing a message. I then got caught up in this thread.

I am not actually here to promote FAB, but just set the record straight regarding the mis information you are quoting as fact. The information you are giving people is grossly misleading, and how one person can decide to state derisory comments about such a well respected organisation whose main aim is to improve the welfare of cats is beyond me.

I notice you have not got an answer for many of the comments I have made.
Your reasons for being here as far as I am concerned are very clear. You cannot accept that FAB have shortfalls in their criteria, they do not reccommend the catteries they list and they DO approach catteries "on spec and ask them to send money to them to join. I dont care how much you think they are wonderful Deb, being a listed cattery is NOT a guarantee that a place is a good one, not in the slightest and looking at some of the places listed and the points I have mentioned its very clear that some things about FAB are not required or even mentioned, on that point I have nothing more to say, I kind of guessed you had a cattery and I was going to post as much and suggest you were listed, but I was hoping :roll: you'd come out with the reasons for your posts yourself, but you didnt, only on prompting.

I also imagine that the fact you think people need an appointment before viewing and shouldnt just turn up, is also one of YOUR rules at your cattery and you shouldnt be speaking for everybody, I have absolutely no problem with people visiting me any time within our opebning hours, we have adequate staff to ensure people and pets are looked after at all times, our clients are very important to us and we give them all the time they require, and they will never ever need to make an appointment, but thats us!

Kay
10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I have read this with great interest. I have to say I have no experience with FAB with regards to catteries but I have had dealings with them with regard to PKD testing.

They did appear to me and a great many other breeders to be just interested in the money they got from scanning cats for PKD. Although they have now brought in DNA testing. When they were only scanning the results were some what irregular. A friend of mine was one of the first to scan her cats and was very pleased when apart from one cat the rest where tested negative. None of the cats where the minimum age they were older. A few years later a kitten she bred out of her negative cats tested positive, which is impossible. She then had the cats re-tested, again under the FAB scheme and most of them where positive. She was devasted. FAB continued to take breeders money for scanning without informing them of this problem. Another friend contacted them and said she wanted to now more information about this issue only to be told that her friend was lying and to carry on scanning.

They have as I have said brought in DNA testing but are still, in my opinion, in it for the money. To get your cat tested with the FAB works out at £45, at the last enquiry, If you end your test to Australia, yes Australia, not only do you get the results back quicker than with the FAB scheme but it only costs around £18 a cat. This depends on the conversion rates. How can this procedure be so different in cost.

borderdawn
10-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I had also heard about unreliable PKD scans Kay, but wasnt familiar enough with it to comment. very worrying isnt it.

Meant to add, there were similar short comings in the ELISA blood test for Von Willebrands disease in Dobermanns, not the same, but now DNA testing is available the results are practically 100% definate, defianetly the way forward.

Kay
10-09-2007, 06:18 PM
It certainly is Dawn. I feel that instead of helping breeders irradicate this from our lines, FAB are just out to make a fortune from it. It seems odd to me that you can send the test to the other side of the world, get the results back quicker and it costs you less then half. Beyond me.

Jac
10-09-2007, 06:59 PM
If I was ever to use a cattery I would want to visit unannounced during open hours. I think that's the only way you would get a proper "feel" for the place. If they are expecting you then they can be ready (so to speak). If they have nothing to hide then it wouldn't be a problem. If the place is short staffed enough not to be able to spend time with me then I would be worried this was the norm and my cats may not get the attention they needed.

As for So and so approval to me that means nothing as they know generally when inspectors may visit and are on there toes. (fo what it's worth)

Kay
10-09-2007, 07:08 PM
I totally agree with everything you say Jac. Why have specific times for visiting if you have nothing to hide!!

dandysmom
10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
I would never put my cat in a cattery that I hadn't inspected myself unannounced ......