PDA

View Full Version : Not Outside?

I Love Simba
31-08-2007, 11:17 PM
How do I train Simba to not outside. When I got Simba he was an outdoor cat. I don't want him going outside because I live in a busy neighborhood. He has got out twice today when someone came in or out. How do I break him of this habit and make his trips outside not pleasurable, so he doesn't want to go outside again. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dinahsmum
01-09-2007, 09:04 AM
I'd be surprised if you could train Simba in this regard. You'll have to train the humans to check he's not behind the door when they open it and to be sure to close it every time. It only takes once for Simba to be out and hurt in traffic

Mags
01-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I agree with DM, as he is used to being an outdoor cat he will jump at the chance to get outside if at all possible..:?

You will need to watch any slightly open window as it's amazing how small a gap they will crawl through.........

Good luck anyway in your efforts to keep Simba safe....

babycakes
01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Have you thought about harnessing him? I have a harness on Denis which is then attatched to retractable dog lead. This will give him the chance to go outside but supervised by you and at a distance that you control. He will learn in time that by putting his harness on means he's going out. (lupine ones are good as they clip together, making them easy to get on and off rather than mess with buckles.)
took a couple of trys in the house with the harness then he was ready for the great outdoors.

dandysmom
01-09-2007, 04:12 PM
I was going to post about the harness also, BC beat me to it! I had success with a tortie I rehomed who'd been used to outside access. She adapted to the harness quickly and seemed satisfied with a long daily walk. My other two cats at the time were indoor only and harness trained; she sat in the window and watched when they were out, and apparently caught on! Good luck!

Edited to say that she was an adult, a year and a half old......

dinahsmum
01-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Great idea about the harness!

dandysmom
01-09-2007, 04:33 PM
And they don't walk like dogs! They amble, stop and sit, climb partway up a tree and come down.....and they do not understand property lines! The hardest thing walking Patches was that she wanted to walk in other peoples yards, and would tug and tug on the harness while I kept repeating "No, no, not our yard!!" And you get many, many funny looks from people who've never seen a cat on a lead...and also meet some very nice people while doing it! And beware of dogs!!!!

mable1718
02-09-2007, 09:07 AM
I really cant add anything to what everyone has said

babycakes
02-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Denis only goes in the garden on his as we live on a busy main road. but I have attatched the lead to the washing line so he is able to go up and down at his leisure and he stops as the lead runs out. I made sure the length of the lead fits the perimeter of the garden and because it's retractable it doesn't snag on things.

I Love Simba
04-09-2007, 02:15 AM
I think I discovered why Simba snuck outside. I discovered it later that evening and just realised it today. The reason he probably did sneak out is because he needed to use the litterbox and couldn't get in it, so he went outside. Now that I realise the problem I can make sure it doesn't happen again. I have considered leash training him like you said. He hasn't attempted to go out again since my mom fixed it. It is one of those litterboxes that you can take the top pan out and sift it. My mom took the top pan out and didn't know that the pan had to go in a certain way. By the way don't get this kind of litterbox because the urinated litter clumps together in the part that is supposed to sift and cloggs it. It doesn't work as well as the company claims. Thanks for the replies. The replies were very helpful.