PDA

View Full Version : My next article.....

borderdawn
30-08-2007, 07:05 PM
How to find a good pedigree Cat breeder.

We have all heard the problems some people have had with their pedigree Cats, from dodgy sources, so I thought Id ask you guys who do things properly :D

With my pedigrees, I got:
2 kitten packs (one Hills and One Royal Canin)
Vaccination card, kitten fully vaccinated.
GCCF reg document, signed ready for transfer.
Microchip document in my name, done day I had him.
6 wks insurance.
Receipt.
Piece of bedding.
Extra food.
Pedigree.

Although nothing was signed, I am told that if any reason the Cat needs to be rehomed, it must be returned to them. My breeder is also thinking of (and probably will) doing this "Petlog premium" where the breeder will be named as a second contact for the Cats entire life, good idea I think.

What else do you do? What would you think important for me to include?

dandysmom
30-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Sounds as if it'll be an interesting article, Dawn! I'd like to contribute but all my data would be from the States so presumably not useful to you. Hope you get a good response!

tilly
30-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I think it would be a very good idea for breeders to be on the microcihp as well as the owner. It would be great to have that on the contract as it might help to make sure the animal makes it back to the breeder if there is any trouble. or if t is lost.
Tilly

Kazz
30-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Like the idea of the microchip idea of the breeder staying on - may be useful for dogs too. (off topic)

Personal recomendation......
Seeing kitten with mother at least.

Not sure what else for a pedigree cat...

Good idea though.

Kazz
30-08-2007, 09:24 PM
You need replies from people like Kay, Fran etc pedigree owners.

Fran
30-08-2007, 09:27 PM
My kittens went with

Royal Canin kitten packs
Various different foods that they are used to
a bag of their usual litter
A folder containing lots of info about settling the new kitten in, speying neutering, fleaing/woming and lots of other info
Vaccination certificate and they were fully vaccinated
a blankie that had been with them for a few days so it had all their smells on it
4 generation pedigree
contract to include return of the kitten to me if circumstances changed and they could no longer keep the kitten/cat and a spey/neuter contract
receipt
6 weeks free insurance from Petplan
money off vouchers for Royal canin food
toys
information relating to what they were flead/wormed with and when
a contract that they will receive the GCCF pink slip/registration document once I have registered the kittens (am awaiting my prefix)
My vet won't microchip meezer babies so young. She feels they are too small at 12 weeks to be done. Morse was 5 months old before she would chip him.

I am sure there are other things that I have forgotten...if I remember anything I'll post again

borderdawn
30-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Spay and neuter receipt? You mean like when you get a kitten from say CP? You send a copy of the receipt from your Vet?

Fran
30-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Spay and neuter receipt? You mean like when you get a kitten from say CP? You send a copy of the receipt from your Vet?

It's a statement signed by the vet and with practice stamp to confirm the cat has been neutered/speyed. Obviously it includes all the cats details and if in the future I could microchip the kittens then the microchip number would be included too. Obviously the kittens are registered on the non active register too..

A lot of breeders withold the pink slips/registration document until they get the spey/neuter contract back. I know Kay does this and this is something I am looking to do in the future.

Kazz
30-08-2007, 10:43 PM
What a good idea...:)

dandysmom
30-08-2007, 10:48 PM
It's a statement signed by the vet and with practice stamp to confirm the cat has been neutered/speyed. Obviously it includes all the cats details and if in the future I could microchip the kittens then the microchip number would be included too. Obviously the kittens are registered on the non active register too..

A lot of breeders withold the pink slips/registration document until they get the spey/neuter contract back. I know Kay does this and this is something I am looking to do in the future.
My breeder here in the States did that also, Fran! That was Dandy's breeder.

sarahd
30-08-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm withholding my pink slips until the kittens sold have been speyed / neutered.
I give out pretty much the same as Fran with my kittens when they go to their new homes. All except the blankies which I think is a great idea and am going to do in the future.

Sarah
x

borderdawn
30-08-2007, 11:01 PM

:smt023 Like that idea!

Thanks for all your comments so far. Do any of you neuter before you rehome? I know this is commonplace in the States, maybe Eileen can tell me if this was the case with her Dandy? personally I think it too young, but have any of you considered it?
Dawn.

sarahd
30-08-2007, 11:05 PM
I have spoken to my vets about early neutering / speying and they are very reluctant to do it. Mainly because things are still not developed properly at the age of 12 - 13 weeks. Obviously the kittens don't go any earlier than 13 weeks as per the recommended GCCF guidelines. Personally I do think its too early though and would rather refrain from doing it so early and would be more inclined to go with the 6 months age or thereabouts

Just remembered my kittens get a free frontline kitten pack when they go for their injections so they are wormed and fleaed with their vaccinations and have another flea treatment ready for their next routine fleaing.

Sarah
x

Fran
30-08-2007, 11:05 PM
I persoanlly don't like the idea of neutering at such a young age and I really don't think our vets would go for it either.

dandysmom
30-08-2007, 11:52 PM
:smt023 Like that idea!

Thanks for all your comments so far. Do any of you neuter before you rehome? I know this is commonplace in the States, maybe Eileen can tell me if this was the case with her Dandy? personally I think it too young, but have any of you considered it?
Dawn.

No, Dawn, but this was quite a few years ago when early spay/neuter was not commonly accepted here. Dandy was sold with a spay/neuter agreement; couldn't get his papers until I'd sent the vet's certificate back to the breeder. He was neutered at 6 months. I also had to sign the papers that if I couldn't keep him for any reason he had to be returned to the breeder. Which I thoroughly approved of! I could ramble on about what a lovely person my breeder was; we kept in touch for years...all his kittens were home raised underfoot and completely socialized,, oh, am rambling, sorry......

Kay
31-08-2007, 11:39 AM
My kittens all go with the following:-

A 5 generation pedigree in a frame,
6 weeks insurance with Petplan,
Vaccination card,
Royal Canin kitten pack (storage container, bag of food, booklet, measuring cup, scrunch tunnel, and ball)
Tilsie Persian Kitten pack which includes:-
A cat carrier,
Blanket,
Scratch post,
Toys,
Stainless twin cat bowls,
Litter Tray, scoop and liners,
10L bag of Catsan. litter,
A cat book,
A CD of your kitten pics to date,
The Tilsie New Kitten booklet (that I have written) which contains info on:-
Introducing your kitten to the family.
Feeding.
Toiletting.
Vaccination.
Bathing and Grooming.
Play and Toys.
Flea treatment and Worming.
Kitten info page (which details birth of date, time, weight, weight on leaving, mum and dad, siblings, vaccinnes given and when, treatment of fleas and worming and when done, when next treatment is due, when booster is due)
Sales contract.
Spay/Neuter agreement to be stamped and signed by the vet and returned to be.
Helpful info as well. (eg. websites, addresses, phone numbers)

The pink slip is witheld until neutering iis confirmed.

I think that is everything. I do go overboard a bit but they are my babies and not a money making scam as some people think it is.

If you need anymore help just give me a shout Dawn.

Oh forgot I also supply a lifetime of help and advice and hopefully friendship for the new owners.

sarahd
31-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Blimey Kay will alert any new kitten owners to bring a suitcase when they pick one up from you lol but its a very lovely idea

Sarah
x

mable1718
31-08-2007, 06:54 PM
lol that is alot of stuff kay lol :D

borderdawn
31-08-2007, 07:52 PM
WOW! thanks folks, ill get onto this soon. kay, do you supply the wheelbarrow too? :mrgreen:

Kazz
02-09-2007, 11:36 AM
I love the little booklet or big booklet Kay and I like the idea of the CD...too............... Excellent idea's. Does anyone ever take the stuff and forget the kitten :)

Karen

Soupie
03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm withholding my pink slips until the kittens sold have been speyed / neutered.

Am assuming the pink slip is the GCCF registration paper?

I have spoken to my vets about early neutering / speying and they are very reluctant to do it. Mainly because things are still not developed properly at the age of 12 - 13 weeks. Obviously the kittens don't go any earlier than 13 weeks as per the recommended GCCF guidelines. Personally I do think its too early though and would rather refrain from doing it so early and would be more inclined to go with the 6 months age or thereabouts

I have always neutered at about 6 months although we have had others done before that between 4-6 months as they were showing signs of sexual activity and had them done on vet's advice.

Me personally I'm not sure I would buy a kitten from a breeder who withheld their registration papers until neutered. Mainly because this could mean the new owner may not be able to register their new kitten for a few months if they buy at 13 weeks and kitten is not done until a bit older on vet's advice. In the meantime they have no proof the kitten is legally theirs other than a receipt from breeder.

I can see why breeders do it but I personally would be miffed to pay £600 (Selkirks) or whatever and have the ownership papers withheld albeit I would get them at a later stage.

Kay
03-09-2007, 02:22 PM

I have always neutered at about 6 months although we have had others done before that between 4-6 months as they were showing signs of sexual activity and had them done on vet's advice.

Me personally I'm not sure I would buy a kitten from a breeder who withheld their registration papers until neutered. Mainly because this could mean the new owner may not be able to register their new kitten for a few months if they buy at 13 weeks and kitten is not done until a bit older on vet's advice. In the meantime they have no proof the kitten is legally theirs other than a receipt from breeder.

I can see why breeders do it but I personally would be miffed to pay £600 (Selkirks) or whatever and have the ownership papers withheld albeit I would get them at a later stage.

I too withhold the pink slip it is the only way you can guarantee the kitten has been neutered. If somebody came to me and was not willing to agree to this then I am afraid they would not get a kitten from me as I would think they had intentions to breed. Most responsible breeders do this. The new owners do have proof of ownership in the form of a contract signed by both the new owner and myself and this is standard practice. Just because a registered cat is placed on the non-active register doesn't mean that the new owner can't breed from the cat but just that the offspring can't be registered. How many litters do you see advertised as pedigree but not registered? By withholding the pink slip and insisting they are neutered by 6 months of age and asking for veterinary proof of this is the best way of insuring that only cats that are suitable to be breed from are and in doing so improving the breed. Every pet owner I have sold a kitten to has had absolutely no qualms about this and has received the pink slip as soon as I have received the proof.

This I believe is responsible breeding.

borderdawn
03-09-2007, 02:47 PM

:shock: :shock: Thats steep.

Soupie
05-09-2007, 04:16 PM
BD - Pet/show selkirks are anywhere from £450 to £600 at the moment and as the breed is still at indermediate status for GCCF most people are not charging extra for breeding quality cats but some are charging up to £1200 for breeding quality female kittens :shock:

borderdawn
05-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I saw them advertised for £350 the same as the BSH

Soupie
06-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I saw them advertised for £350 the same as the BSH

I think it depends on the breeder and the quality of the kitten you are looking for to be honest. Pet quality kittens from a renowned breeder are about £400 to £500. Show quality for neutering slightly more and breeding stock even more as the number of cats in the country is still relatively small.

I know for the kitten I want next year from the person I consider one of the best breeders in the country producing fantastic stock will set me back between £500 -£600 but I am happy to pay that for a top class show cat :)