PDA

View Full Version : Gemma's problems

DebbieR
30-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Hello,

As I mentioned in my introduction post, Gemma has a lot of problems since being involved in a RTA 5 years ago.

Her pelvis was broken and the bones healed crooked so now she has terrible trouble toiletting. Basically (and I'm sorry if you're eating your tea but there is no better way to put this) the hole for the poo to come through is only as big as the tip of your thumb. Consequently she regularly gets blocked and has to have an enema. This used to be every 3 - 4 months but on Tuesday she had to have another one only 3 weeks after the last one. :( The nurse said that she has two lumps in her colon that they can't move that are causing even more problems. She is going to look into the possibility of an operation that involves removing that part of the colon.

I just wanted to know if anyone has any advice or experience of this. We give her lactulose twice a day and a micro enema when she needs it (the nurse said to up it to every 3 days) but nothing seems to be working any more. We are so worried about our darling girl. We don't want to give up on her and no matter how much it costs we want her to be well. We also love her too much to see her in constant pain and we are thinking that the time is coming when we have to consider "doing the right thing" so to speak. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

dinahsmum
30-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Sorry I have no experience to offer in this regard.
I think they key is how well Gemma is able to engage in a 'normal' or 'enjoyable' life. Does she cope well with all the treatment (professional and from you)? Is she apprehensive/does it cause her great discomfort?
If you are starting to think that she is having more days which she doesn't enjoy than days which she does, then maybe you are right to wonder what is the kindest route for her future. Only you will know that.
Just to remind you - cats only live in the present. They can't spend their time lying on the couch thinking 'ah, what a wonderful youth I had; I must count my blessings'. Neither can they rationalise about pain. If they are in pain, that is all they know, not 'oooo uncomfortable but all will be well after the enema tomorrow'.
Sorry, that sounds negative, and I don't want to be negative about your pet, as I said, you know her and you know if she is enjoying life. Your vet will know if further surgery will help - ask him/her to be honest with you about the pain/possibility of improved future ratio.
Best wishes to you all

DebbieR
30-08-2007, 04:05 PM
She didn't perk up after the last enema like she usually does. Before, she would have the enema and after a day be her bouncy bright self again but that didn't happen. We know that she hasn't been happy. We have talked about it and, unless this operation is guaranteed to make her life better we won't put her through it. Its just not fair to keep her going just because we will miss her. God it breaks my heart to think of a time when my darling girl won't be shouting abuse at me for daring to tell her to get off the worktop but we can't see her in pain. :( Apart from that, at £300 a time, we just can't afford it. The insurance company won't pay out for it anymore. We're quite prepared to scrape together the money and go without if it makes her happy though.

dinahsmum
30-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Poor you.

here's a discussion we had some time ago about just how far one should go, etc etc
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=11807&highlight=Limit+to+veterinary+intervention

I don't think cats make good patients generally. A dog can quite take to being an invalid and enjoy being fussed over; I think a cat needs a body in good working order.

So sorry for your predicament. She is one gorgeous creature

tilly
30-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I can't offer any advice but will be sneding healing vibe and I hope that Gemma can be helped .

SAlly

babycakes
30-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Can't she have the hole widened to poo out of?? surely this would make things easier? Have you considered a second opinion? I may be talking poo myself and this is no way an option but just thought...?

DebbieR
30-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.:)
We have looked into a procedure called a pelvic split but apparently hardly anyone does it and its not guaranteed to work well and has risks. It would also cost about £3,000 :shock:

She is really perky this evening which is encouraging. We're keeping a very close eye on her. :)

Mags
30-08-2007, 08:52 PM
I hope something can be done to help her.....poor girl..:(

Kim
30-08-2007, 09:55 PM
How very sad for all of you. Like Mags said, I hope something can be done, if not I am sure you will do the right thing for her. So sorry.