PDA

View Full Version : Had an argument with a friend over having Colin neutered.

random
30-08-2007, 12:50 PM
As some of you know I have paid for the kittens we had to be neutered in their new homes when the time came. Colin was planned to stay with me 'til he was done as he was going with his 'cousin' (they are not actually related) who is a few weeks older than him.

Our vets used to neuter boys at 4 months as I had Tucker done at this age, and girls spayed at 6 months as it is a bigger op. Fair enough but when I rang to book him in they had changed their 'policy' and now will only spay and neuter both sexes after 6 and half months!

We have since found out that his 'new' vet (when he leaves us) will neuter at 5 months (so just 2 more weeks and he will be old enough) so the descision has been made to let him go now to his new home and I will send the cheque to the relevent veterinary practice as I have done for the others.

I have told a very close friend this in conversation and he has exploded at me saying i'm irresponsible spending money on these kittens when it should be the new owners job to do so but I feel as bringing them into the world I want to ensure they do not create any more litters and the only way I feel I can ensure 100% that this is carried out is to make sure I push and get it done myself.

New owners may say they will have them done but then I know first hand how easy it is for these things to happen and although you can take as many precautionary measures as possible the only sure fire way of preventing kittens is neutering.

Just wanted some outside opinions really, do you think i'm responsible for making sure it is done by whatever means it takes (if I have to pay then I have to pay, I still feel they are my responsibility) or am I just plain stupid and should let the new owners 'deal with it' themselves? :?

Another way I see it is if on the off chance that any kitten/cat should be returned to me at any point in their lives then it will be me having to deal with whatever reason they have came back, be it unwanted pregnancy? A tom who has caught a disease from fighting/sexual contact with an infected female? A whole host of other reasons due to them being left intact?

Needless to say this person has never owned a cat before :roll: and the only reason I am so worked up is that he is a close friend and usually very supportive.

dinahsmum
30-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Non-animal people are non-animal people and that's the start middle and end of it - he just doesn't understand.
I think your attitude is admirable - pity all moggy 'parents' (whether deliberate or accidental - but that's another story we won't get into here) don't do the same. There would be a lot fewer strays and unloved kits if they did.
I don't think you'll get anything but support here Random - kindred spirits etc :)

...and Bon Voyage Colin - have a great life

DebbieR
30-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Hello,
I just joined today but felt I had to reply to this. I can't see how anyone could think you are being irresponsible. In fact, your's the most responsible attitude I have heard for a very long time. You are also being extremely kind and saving the new owners a lot of money by paying for it yourself. Please don't doubt yourself, there is no way in this world that what you are doing is wrong.
People have very funny ideas about neutering cats and dogs. I have been in many heated debates about it in the past. :)

random
30-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Non-animal people are non-animal people and that's the start middle and end of it - he just doesn't understand.
I think your attitude is admirable - pity all moggy 'parents' (whether deliberate or accidental - but that's another story we won't get into here) don't do the same. There would be a lot fewer strays and unloved kits if they did.
I don't think you'll get anything but support here Random - kindred spirits etc :)

...and Bon Voyage Colin - have a great life

Thank you DM, the trouble is although he has never had cats he has had dogs all his life and is a big dog lover. He has had 2 very well bred litters and shown for a lot of years too. This is why I cannot understand him, maybe he is relating cats too much to dogs as he has never had the experience of a cat. :? It is very hard to keep tabs on you cat (especially if it is allowed outdoors) every second of the day compared to a dog.

Hello,
I just joined today but felt I had to reply to this. I can't see how anyone could think you are being irresponsible. In fact, your's the most responsible attitude I have heard for a very long time. You are also being extremely kind and saving the new owners a lot of money by paying for it yourself. Please don't doubt yourself, there is no way in this world that what you are doing is wrong.
People have very funny ideas about neutering cats and dogs. I have been in many heated debates about it in the past. :)

Thank you so much for your post Debbie and first of all, welcome to Catsey!

I'm glad we share the same views here, I think I have just been struck dumb as to why someone would condemn me for something I thought to be a responsible action. I was called childish and immature to think this was a responsible thing to do and that it was the new owners responsibility if they had them done or not.

dinahsmum
30-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Maybe it is the dog/cat thing Random. They are such different creatures. You and I love them both, for their different characteristics but there are a lot of people who only like (and therefore understand) the one species.
I've had entire bitches before and never for a moment have I allowed them near 'an accident'. But it's so much easier. You control a dog - a cat just blesses you with its presence. How does your friend think the expression 'like trying to herd cats' came into being?

DebbieR
30-08-2007, 01:51 PM
LOL I've never heard that saying before but I'm going to use it from now on. That's a classic and so true :lol:

Mags
30-08-2007, 02:13 PM
You are taking an extremely responsible attitude which I admire you for, Random..
What a pity more moggy owners aren't as considerate to the well being of their kittens as you are..:cool:

I hope Colin will soon settle in his new home...:D

random
30-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Maybe it is the dog/cat thing Random. They are such different creatures. You and I love them both, for their different characteristics but there are a lot of people who only like (and therefore understand) the one species.
I've had entire bitches before and never for a moment have I allowed them near 'an accident'. But it's so much easier. You control a dog - a cat just blesses you with its presence. How does your friend think the expression 'like trying to herd cats' came into being?

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. Obviously though as a man he knows best and who am I to try and explain how different keeping cats is compared to dogs. :?

You are taking an extremely responsible attitude which I admire you for, Random..
What a pity more moggy owners aren't as considerate to the well being of their kittens as you are..:cool:

I hope Colin will soon settle in his new home...:D

Thank you so much Mags that means a lot to me. I will keep everyone updated on all four of the kittens, obviously more so on our wee Princess as she is staying here. :-D

borderdawn
30-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Well you know my thoughts Random on irresponsible breeding and at this point Id like to congratulate you on taking such a RESPONSIBLE attitude towards these kittens. He clearly doesnt understand what "can" happen, I think you are acting in the best possible manner in doing what you are doing, well done!
Dawn.

DebbieR
30-08-2007, 03:22 PM
If anyone starts telling me that its wrong to neuter cats I tell them that in 5 years one cat can be responsible for 25,000 descendents. So, how exactly can neutering be irresponsible? beats me :?

random
30-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Well you know my thoughts Random on irresponsible breeding and at this point Id like to congratulate you on taking such a RESPONSIBLE attitude towards these kittens. He clearly doesnt understand what "can" happen, I think you are acting in the best possible manner in doing what you are doing, well done!
Dawn.

Thank you Dawn that means a lot to me.

If anyone starts telling me that its wrong to neuter cats I tell them that in 5 years one cat can be responsible for 25,000 descendents. So, how exactly can neutering be irresponsible? beats me :?

I don't think he is against them being done, just against me taking responsibilty for getting them done and paying for it. He is now refusing to talk to me about why he thinks that so i'm not any futher forward. :?

Elaine
30-08-2007, 03:38 PM
I have to agree with what every one else has said on this matter. How can making sure these kitties are ALL neutered/spayed out of your own pocket be called irresponsible? I too feel that what you are doing is highly responsible.
In an ideal world owners should foot the bill for their own pets but this isnt an ideal world and we all know that. What you are doing for these kitties is a good thing so pay no attention to what this guy says.

random
30-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Apparently i'm just stupid and naive and I haven't got a grip on anything in my life.

Maybe he's having a bad day? :?

Elaine
30-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Ach ignore him, you know you are doing right by the kitties.;)

babycakes
30-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I think it is admirable what you are doing. It takes the responibility away from the next owner. And some owners of Tom's don't think to neuter as it isn't a problem that directly affects them. I can understand he thinks you are wasting money as it isn't cheap but what does he know??? lol

dandysmom
30-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I too admire and respect you for your responsible attitude...it would be wonderful if more breeders would assume the costs, but it may not always be feasible financially..I say well done you, and try to ignore your friends attitude. "He knows not whereof he speaks"!!
Edited to say I could not get my Pura's papers until I'd provided the breeder with proof of his neutering...and he was not show quality!

Rosie
31-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I think you are being totally responsible although I believe that the people who are taking on these kittens ought to have insisted they pay themselves. I would not dream of letting someone else pay unless of course this was covered in the purchase price?

Jac
31-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Random didn't sell her kittens. She got them loving homes.

John
31-08-2007, 05:40 PM
well done Random..wish everyone would act responsible

Kay
03-09-2007, 11:12 AM
I think you have acted totally responsibly and your friend just doesn't have a clue. They are your kittens and your choice as to what you do. Well done.