PDA

View Full Version : Question can you clicker train a cat.

tilly
28-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Sorry I meant CLICKER train a cat does anyone know how to endit the title?

I am asking because buster is still wheezing and the next step to try and help him is to use an inhaler on him which means putting his head in as mask. So thought if you can clicker train a cat then I can click and reward when his head goes in the mask and he might not take to this too well. It might help him get what he did that was good. and what the food reward was for. If not trhen I can just put the food in the mask and try it that way. I will have to see as the vets have to order the inhaler and mask for Buster, so I don't have it yet.

Anyway any idea would be good.

SAlly

ps he would eventually have to keep his head in the mask for around 20 seconds, which is quite long

Mags
28-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I know there was someone on Catsey who clicker trained their cat but I can't think who it was at the moment Sally....:?

Is this the kind of mask/inhaler you will be getting for Buster?

Sorry I forgot to post the link! :oops::lol:

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/Products/Aerokat-Feline-Aerosol-Chamber

tilly
28-08-2007, 06:59 PM
I am not sure as I can't see the pic. I have don't have the msak yet as the vets have to order it. but I will take a pic when I get.
SAlly

tilly
28-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Yes are far as I can tell that is what it looks likes.

Thanks for the link

Sally
I am off to read it

dinahsmum
28-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I think Elaine tried it.
Do a google search - the answer is that you can and there is a book on it. There's a previous thread but I can't find it at the mo

Edit - Found it! http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=12119&highlight=clicker

dandysmom
28-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Sorry I meant CLICKER train a cat does anyone know how to endit the title?

I am asking because buster is still wheezing and the next step to try and help him is to use an inhaler on him which means putting his head in as mask. So thought if you can clicker train a cat then I can click and reward when his head goes in the mask and he might not take to this too well. It might help him get what he did that was good. and what the food reward was for. If not trhen I can just put the food in the mask and try it that way. I will have to see as the vets have to order the inhaler and mask for Buster, so I don't have it yet.

Anyway any idea would be good.

SAlly

ps he would eventually have to keep his head in the mask for around 20 seconds, which is quite long
I'd like to know that too! I hate making a typo in the title and be unable to correct it....

dinahsmum
28-08-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd like to know that too! I hate making a typo in the title and be unable to correct it....
Think maybe you can if you go to Edit then go to Advanced .....

Edit. 2 seconds later .... aren't Mods wonderful!?? :)

Elaine
28-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I clicker trained Eva, but it was more as a play and behaviour thing with her and I felt she needed some stimulation. Was quite successful too, she doesnt jump on the counter tops, if she is on a chair and I say down, she jumps down, if I want her to come up again I just say up. When I call "Eva Come" she will come to me, 9 times out of 10 that is:lol: She will also give a high five but only if she wants to and you are armed with prawns;)
I used the Karen Pryor book, there is also a Yahoo group for clicker training too, they may be able to help you further with this one. I'll find the link for you and post it.

Elaine
28-08-2007, 09:03 PM
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cat-Clicker/