PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe how much 6 mth old eats!!

sarah5
21-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Scrabble is such a piggy, he races into the kitchen every time I go in there, in the hope that he'll get more food :roll: :lol:

He gets this 3 times a day: 1/3 pouch of Felix mixed with small handful of James Wellbeloved

Surely I am not underfeeding him????!!!?

dinahsmum
21-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Doesn't sound like it .. he just enjoys his food and trusts you to supply his needs.
He's a lovely boy and lucky to have found you.

sarah5
21-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Awww what a lovely thing to say thank you! :-D

Soupie
21-08-2007, 01:36 PM
How energetic is he? My adolescent cat is extremely active and he is on 2 pouches and a bowl of royal canin exigent (higher calorie) a day.

If he is genuinely hungry as opposed to just being greedy then you could up it slightly by allowing ad lib access to the dry food?

He sounds a lovely kitten :D

sarah5
21-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for your reply Soupie.. is Scrabble classed as adolescent at 6 mths? I can assure you that if I left anything out he would eat it without a doubt, bless him!! Oh yes he is very energetic and playful (except when he's curled up asleep next to his new "brother" hehe)!!

Soupie
21-08-2007, 02:21 PM
No he is still a kitten but if he is very active he may be genuinely hungry - how much dry food by weight are you feeding?

charliebubs
21-08-2007, 02:34 PM
My 5 month old has the biggest appetite I have ever seen :shock: He eats every meal as though he hadn't been fed before!!! lol He won't eat dried food unfortunately, so he doesn't graze throughout the day, and I feed him about 2.5 pouches a day.

I think that while they are young and still growing and very active that it's okay to feed more and often.

smudgley
21-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't think a third of a pouch 3 times per day is very much at all for a 6 month old growing kitten.
My 4 month old kittens eat much more than that & they have dry food too.

sarah5
21-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Well daily total would be 1 sachet of Felix (maybe slightly more) PLUS the daily suggested amount on the back of the packet of James Wellbeloved.

But I think I'm going to increase it slightly, thanks for all your replies everyone.

smudgley
21-08-2007, 03:05 PM
oh well if he's eating the DRA of JW, plus his pouch that should be fine then.
He looks healthy enough on it anyway from his photos. ;)

Donna
21-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Its always hard to judge - I think you have to go on insinct a fair bit. I feed both my cats the same and they are completely different weights.

I am sure my heavier cat picks up all the lighter cat's leftovers to balance their intake, but I have upped the amount offered to my lighter cat as I feel she is just a little bit too thin and already seen a small difference.

I am sure you will know if your cat is getting enough food or not.