PDA

View Full Version : Irresponsible breeding article.

borderdawn
21-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I KNOW that many will disagree with the strongness of my article, however its something that I feel very strongly about and I am not going to make excues for saying exactly what I believe to be true. I hope that at least one person will take note and take a bit more care over their Cat, hoping that one moggy litter, irresponsibly bred, wont find themselves in the hands of rescue, or ill because of it.

There is also an article on "mammary cancer" in Cats.

My web addy is in my profile, nobody has to look, I was asked to mention it once it was done and now it is.

Thanks for reading.:)

yola
21-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Thank you Dawn, that is an excellently written article which highlights the tragedy faced by wanted AND unwanted pets it's today's supposedly caring world.

borderdawn
21-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Thank you Yola.
Dawn.

Soupie
21-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I think the article could have been written more objectively and factually but it does get across the seriousness of the problem well.

One point you raise I would like to comment on which is not aimed at you but something I would like to put out there for consideration.

"In 2004, the RSPCA put to sleep 12598 Cats or kittens"

I have issues with the fact the RSPCA lament people producing kittens contributing to the number of animals which are put down but stay completely quiet about the fact that their rehoming policies actually contribute to a considerable proportion of animals being put down also.

I can offer a home for a house cat and went offering a home for up to two cats. I was told by them that they will not rehome under any circumstances to someone without a garden at all. However my flat is large and has lots more space than the pens the cats are confined to in the RSPCA. I went specifically offering a home to a cat which had been there six months - they refused to consider me and that animal has since been put down. I find this type of attitude that they will put down rather than consider someone not in their "ideal" profile at odds with their generally publicised objective.

Surely a caring home with some limitations is better than death?

borderdawn
21-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Thank you Soupie, I welcome all comments :)

If you can prove the RSPCA subsequently put to sleep that Cat you speak of, I would take it to the press to highlight it. I know some rehoming policies are far from perfect, but fact remains the main reason ANY rescue exists is because people breed animals and they are not cared for, with Cats its 100 X more likely for that to involve "accidental" litters.

I was turned down by one Cat rescue because I had "terriers" and they killed Cats :roll: their policy was not to home with this type of dog, I expect the RSPCA had similar policies with being allowed outside, or maybe it was one of those Cats that MUST have outside access, the Cat I lost on the road was from an irresponsibly bred "accidental" litter, the tom cat was feral, and there was not a chance in hell I could keep "Darcy" in.
Dawn.

babycakes
21-08-2007, 02:06 PM
The RSPCA refused me owning a cat as I live on a main road even though I informed them that he would be a 'house cat' unless harnessed outdoors under supervision. I have strong views about wandering cats and would not allow my cat out unless on a leash. Still they refused, I do agree their policies need to be reviewed

smudgley
21-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Dawn, I've skimmed through your article but I will have a good read of it properly when I get 5 mins.

I do however think that rescues who refuse to rehome through silly reasons, ie beacuse they don't want someone to have an indoor cat or because someone has dogs, or children is stupid & what happens to these people? They then go out & get a kitten from somewhere else. :roll: So the rescue might as well have let them have one in the first place.

I feel very strongly about the fact that silly reasons & excuses are used for people not to rehome a cat. Sometimes it's just a lack of understanding from the rescue people, ie some cat rescues are run by fantastic cat people, but mention the word dog & they run a mile! :evil:

just to add, you all know what I do in my spare time & I have never refused to home a cat with someone because they have animals, children, or any other reason for that matter.

If people are genuine cat lovers - who can offer a good stable home, that's fine by me. :)

oh & I know of one large cat charity ;) that will soon become much more flexible nationally reagrding who they rehome to... trust me!;)

Donna
21-08-2007, 03:17 PM
I think the article is good Dawn. :)

It makes sense but then spaying and neutering has always made sense to me. I dont know if you (or anyone else) will ever get through to the people you are aiming it at. :?

I didnt know about cancer in female cats if left unspayed so have learnt something new today ;)

smudgley
21-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Have just read the article properly, it's great Dawn & well done for trying to raise awareness, but as Donna said it's not an easy task getting the message to the right people.

borderdawn
21-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks.

I quite agree with you about the rehoming practices Smudgley, as I said to you I was refused because of my dogs, however another branch of the same rescue came and said no problem!
Dawn.

Elaine
21-08-2007, 04:10 PM
I think some rescues do have some very stupid restrictions but in my opinion nothing can help with the growing numbers of cats in rescue than spay and neuter.
I think its a good atricle Dawn and I feel it needs to be hard hitting. Well done.

Kazz
21-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Will have a read after I have eaten I have been gardening or maor replanning according to my neighbour this afternoon and off to eat now :)

Kazz
21-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Dawn, I've skimmed through your article but I will have a good read of it properly when I get 5 mins.

I do however think that rescues who refuse to rehome through silly reasons, ie beacuse they don't want someone to have an indoor cat or because someone has dogs, or children is stupid & what happens to these people? They then go out & get a kitten from somewhere else. :roll: So the rescue might as well have let them have one in the first place.

I feel very strongly about the fact that silly reasons & excuses are used for people not to rehome a cat. Sometimes it's just a lack of understanding from the rescue people, ie some cat rescues are run by fantastic cat people, but mention the word dog & they run a mile! :evil:

just to add, you all know what I do in my spare time & I have never refused to home a cat with someone because they have animals, children, or any other reason for that matter.

If people are genuine cat lovers - who can offer a good stable home, that's fine by me. :)

oh & I know of one large cat charity ;) that will soon become much more flexible nationally reagrding who they rehome to... trust me!;)

Is that a hint?????? of a move in the offing Smudgley?????

Mags
21-08-2007, 07:24 PM
An excellent article Dawn, it clearly conveys the importance of neutering and spaying. The examples you have shown of what can happen is an eye-opener and should make any genuine cat lover aware of the heartbreak it can cause..
Well done!

Moli
21-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Right to the point Dawn, very good article.....

Kazz
21-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Excellent article but not sure it is strong enough however if it reaches one person then, success.

borderdawn
21-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks all, I hope it does help at least one poor mother Cat, and her potential offspring.

borderdawn
21-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Just looked at the refferals on my site stats, 52 visitors today, and 38 of them have come from here or Dogsey, so there are plenty looking, I hope it helps in the long run.

Elaine
21-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Fingers crossed Dawn xxx

Mags
21-08-2007, 09:19 PM
What a pity you can't send a copy to every vet in the country for them to pin up in their waiting room, Dawn..:? I'm sure there would be several embarrassed and guilty faces there!:roll:

borderdawn
21-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Thats not a bad idea Mags, I spoke to my vet about it yesterday, he said I could link my site to his, so thats a start.
Dawn.

Mags
21-08-2007, 10:14 PM
That's right Dawn ........spread the word!;)

Moli
21-08-2007, 10:17 PM
There are so many ignorant people out there, I know someone who will not pay to have her boy done...Why? because he cannot come home with kittens!!!!:evil: and no amount of explaining made a dam bit of difference.....:twisted:

Mags
21-08-2007, 10:20 PM
There are so many ignorant people out there, I know someone who will not pay to have her boy done...Why? because he cannot come home with kittens!!!!:evil: and no amount of explaining made a dam bit of difference.....:twisted:
There are a lot of tom owners like that Moli, they can't have kittens so why bother getting it neutered:roll: If only they could see what a problem they are causing:mad:

Moli
21-08-2007, 10:22 PM
There are a lot of tom owners like that Moli, they can't have kittens so why bother getting it neutered:roll: If only they could see what a problem they are causing:mad:Its the I do not give a dam attitude that gets me.....Her boy would be so much nicer if he was done, he is always fighting and getting abcesses....

dandysmom
21-08-2007, 10:34 PM
And not only the siring of kittens and fighting, but the smell of an unneutered tom! You'd think that alone would give them a second thought....

smudgley
21-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Is that a hint?????? of a move in the offing Smudgley?????

No - :roll:

I went to a conference recently about rehoming & the need for more flexibility & less of the turning people down for nonsense reasons

borderdawn
21-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Your'e right about the Toms too, I plan to do an article on them too!
Dawn.

charliebubs
22-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Well written Dawn.

I, for one, would never ever want to go through the anguish I did when Lily fell pregnant by that intruder and we found out he had FeLV. Such an awful wait for Lily's test results. Since then, I have had her tested on 4 separate occassions to make extra sure - and all results have been negative - thank goodness.

I don't know why anyone would WANT to put themselves through that.

(BTW - Red was castrated yesterday ;))

Donna
22-08-2007, 03:54 PM
My kids father's partner had an unneutered tom. They didnt care, and in the end he died from being knocked down twice in a few months - the other problem is that unneutered toms wander looking for females so that puts them in danger.