PDA

View Full Version : To report or not report (long)?

yola
21-08-2007, 11:02 AM
You may remember a while back me posting an RIP thread for a sweet freindly burmese cat called Bailey who lived near us and who was hit by a car. Well, there was a surviving other cat called Pip, who is a Birman (cream lilac point I think). Pip is very nervous so never had much to do with us.

His owner, who lives in a flat subsequently got this tiny, friendly little Singapura who was a real cutie pie to keep Pip company.

Now, last night around 10.30 there was a knock on the door from next door's renters. They had a terrified cat stuck under their stairs and they thought it was ours. Now my 2 were well and truly indoors but I couldn't just leave it so we went to have a look. It was a terrified Pip. We coaxed her out, put her in our cat basket and brought her home. She had been stuck in their house for over a day without food or water and had been going wild, headbutting the catflap (through which she'd obviously got in) and was in a right panic.

I went to get the woman whose cat it was. She saw me and her face fell as it was I who broke the news to her about Bailey. Still, she came over to get Pip . . . and this is when the alarm bells started ringing. She was saying things like 'oh these pedigrees are so daft they keep getting run over'. Turns out the little Singapura was ALSO hit by a car :mad: :mad: :mad: So then she says 'so I've got a moggie now, it'll hopefully be more streetwise'. Well, we live on a seriously busy road, the main road into town from the West, how is ANY cat expected to be streetwise enough to deal with that???

I was talking to OH later about this, as I really had to control myself and not tell this woman that she really needs to be taking better care of her cats and if she lives in such a busy, central location maybe she should consider keeping them indoors? He said it's almost like neglect.

And this is my question. IS it neglect? Is by exposing her cats to danger by letting them out so close to a main road she is acting irresponsibly and negligently and do I have grounds for reporting her to CP/RSPCA etc.?

I really don't want to have to see any more of her cats killed, lost, stolen or otherwise . . . :(

Kazz
21-08-2007, 11:17 AM
It may be total stupidity but I doubt it's neglect sadly.

Poor old Pip what a scare.

I suppose some cats do survive the roads and the ones she's seen are more than likely Moggies and she thinks they are street wise but I imagine thats due to people like yourself keeping "pedigrees" in the house. But the number of Moggies that die on the roads is probaably in proportion to the numbers kept, pretty much the same as pedigree deaths on the roads.

I doubt reporting her will do anymore than annoy her so why not try the softly softly approach and suggest catproofing the garden to her? with all possibility she "loves" the cats and wants whats best for them but maybe has not got a clue about catproofing the garden etc?

Karen

dinahsmum
21-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Kazz has got it spot on.
If the woman is approachable you could tell her about catproofing, like Charlie has.
I know it's horrible to think something might happen Yola, but we can't worry for the whole world.

yola
21-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Her garden as such is a common garden with all the other flats in her block. So cat-proofing is not an option. There is also a car park and access road as well as a smaller road all within easy distance . . . I have succeeded in getting agreement for speed humps on the access road but have no influence over the through traffic road.

I tried to talk to her last night but she just didn't listen. I mentioned that this is exactly why I keep my pedigrees indoors . . . and even my old mog ended up an indooree as a result.

She was just one of these women who didn't seem to take in anything that I said to her, either this time or last (I did try to broach the subject gently after we found Bailey).

Maybe I'll drop her a note through the door . . .

Mags
21-08-2007, 11:44 AM
I agree with Kazz, this woman may not even know that it is possible to catproof a garden. It may be worth mentioning it to her.

Personally I wouldn't let a nervous cat out on such a busy road :?...... anything could frighten it and the first reaction would be for it to dash anywhere ..... most likely to the other side if the road :(

I don't think it could be classed as neglect really........ simply ignorance of how to safeguard her cats.

dinahsmum
21-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Yes, maybe a note, including the wonder of World's Best litter and hooded litter trays (or the pseudo furniture ones which have featured here)
Or maybe stretch things a little far and spook her with stories of stolen pets, labs, fur coats etc ......
Good luck

Kazz
21-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Yola - this may sound harsh but try and hopefully you will succeed. But if you don't then you have to walk away. You as DM said cannot worry for the World.

MAybe she is listening but not appearing to.

Karen

charliebubs
21-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh dear Yola. I can understand why you are so upset - I would be too - and angry.

Having said that, I do agree with the others. I don't think (unfortunately) that it could be classed as neglect and that you could report her. :(

It seems that she has adopted an "easy come, easy go" attitude to her cats, which personally I find unacceptable, but you cannot change everyone's opinion/perspective. :(

A note through her door sounds like a good idea - be careful not to dictate to her, as you don't want to make an enemy, just make gentle suggestions about how she can keep her furbabes safe.

Good luck :)