PDA

View Full Version : Fleas!

sammy
20-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Purdie (our new baby) was supposedly treated for fleas before we picked her up from the RSPCA a week and a half ago. However, she seemed to be scratching and on closer inspection I found a flea. Do you think it is safe for me to Frontline her? She's around 3-4 months old and I don't want to overdose her!

Fran
20-08-2007, 12:52 PM
As this kitten is so young, I would be inclined to ask your vets advice. Do you know what product the RSPCA treated her with? Some treatments work by killing the fleas after they have bitten so in this case theoretically it would still be possible to see fleas on a treated cat. Frontline spray works without the fleas having to bite so it is a good one to use but I would consult your vet first.

sammy
20-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi Fran, I don't know what they treated her with, but I just read the leaflet in the Frontline pack (this is the spot on one, not spray), and it says it is safe for kittens over 8 weeks of age. Looking at the documentation we got with her, it looks like she was treated on 8th August.

However, we have to take her to the vets this week anyway for her 2nd vaccs, so may wait till then.

Thanks.

dinahsmum
20-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Waiting sounds good. Maybe try to get the little varmints out with a comb in the meantime?
Your vet can do a spot treatment - so much kinder than nasty noisy spray

sammy
20-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't use a spray anyway DM, already have the spot on in the cupboard for the other two.

Now where's that comb...........:lol:

Kay
20-08-2007, 06:23 PM
You could try Capstar. It is a tablet and kills all fleas within 24 hours. It is safe to give to kittens and can be bought online from Wormers.co.uk. They are cheaper than vets.

Fran
20-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't use a spray anyway DM, already have the spot on in the cupboard for the other two.

Now where's that comb...........:lol:

I don't spray cats/kittens, I put on surgical gloves and spray the gloves and then massage into them ;)

smudgley
20-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Capstar will only kill any fleas on the animal during the time it's given, but it doesn't really break the cycle (if that makes sense) it's a kind of quick fix for kennel / cattery environments.

I'd wait until 28 days after the last TX & give F/L :cool:

mable1718
20-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I hope everyones advice has helped

sammy
20-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks all for your help and advice. She was scratching so much I decided to ring my vet in the end and she said it was fine to use the Frontline spot on, which I have! :)

dandysmom
20-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Good news!! Death to the fleas, little monsters, and no more itching!!!