PDA

View Full Version : Together or a Gap?

Kazz
16-08-2007, 10:23 PM
I have been thinking and something Dawn said in another post...has brought it into the fore front of my mind.

Do I get one kitten and then get another cat/kitten in a few years - my thinking behind this being.

1. Two cats/kittens together etc great but they get old together and possibly you loose them in quick succesion. :?
2. I am a two cat person Max so would not have more than three.

So suggestions people what do I do, what would you do?
Together or a gap?

Karen

Elaine
16-08-2007, 10:31 PM
I say together, my reasons are

1) They will be company for each other while you are out.
2) My mind has gone blank
3) I had all the answers when I started this thread
4) Get 4 and be done with it, 2 now and 2 in a year or so

Thats it, I've lost my mind and am off to bed xxxxx

dandysmom
16-08-2007, 10:31 PM
I would do the two together; they would grow up together and be companions for each other when you're off at work. Also, the first cat may or may not be accepting of another one after being an only cat. As to dying close together, well, none of us know when we're going or when our cats will be leaving us....we might die before they do...don't mean to sound morbid, but hopefully that's a long way down the road, Karen. Do what you feel is right for you.....

Elaine
16-08-2007, 10:33 PM
I would do the two together; they would grow up together and be companions for each other when you're off at work. Also, the first cat may or may not be accepting of another one after being an only cat. As to dying close together, well, none of us know when we're going or when our cats will be leaving us....we might die before they do...don't mean to sound morbid, but hopefully that's a long way down the road, Karen. Do what you feel is right for you.....

Exactly:D ;)

Kazz
16-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Exactly:D ;)
Cheat.:roll:

Kazz
16-08-2007, 10:40 PM

Thank you.
Just thoughts going through by head, and like to voice them now and again.:-D

MrsH
16-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Difficult choice. We've usually been a 2 cat household but with a few months between their ages, and although they aged together we didn't lose them together. However two years ago we had to have both of the cats of the moment pts on the same day because of deterioration in their separate terminal conditions.

This hit us really hard and when the opportunity to take on a brother and sister came up we couldn't refuse. They are wonderful together but seem to relate less to us than previous cats did. I suppose their first instinct has always been the cats as one against Mr and Mrs H! I'll never forget synchronised weeing in the litter tray when they were small enough for both to fit in it at the same time!

I know that there is the awful thought of them aging together and going in quick succession but you never know what's around the corner. I'm prepared to face that when it happens.

Moli
16-08-2007, 10:41 PM
My previous Siamese Sam was 6years older than Leo, and I lost him first....
Now I have, a 2yr,3yr,4yr, 7yr and 13...
Personally I think its best to have them near the same age, my youngest ones all play together....

Fran
16-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Kazz, how on earth can you be a two cat person max but not have more than three??!!!! :? I'm of Irish descent but that's Irish!!!!!! :roll:

Fran
16-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I'd take two/three together ;)

Elaine
16-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Kazz, how on earth can you be a two cat person max but not have more than three??!!!! :? I'm of Irish descent but that's Irish!!!!!! :roll:

Dont listen to her Fran, she's mental and will probably end up with 5 or 6:lol: MIN'

Kazz
16-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I have a feeling don't know why it will be one, something tells me it will be one does this sound silly?
I can't "see" myself with two cats in the future there again I suppose they could be exactly the same colour say black and thats why I can only see one....but I see one. We'll have to see.

kado
16-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Well i have 2yr olds x 2 both at different times
2 1yr olds both at different times.

I was only supposed to have 1 but along came 2 then 3 then 4

I think 2 cats at the same time interact together as well most of the time

jane

Elaine
16-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Kazz, I have no doubt that what ever you choose, it will be the right choice xxx

Kazz
16-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Shut up all of you I am tired and going to bed. You know what I mean I am a two cat person and could not have more than three ;) :

dandysmom
16-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Wait till you see what Smudgley has; I bet you'll make up your mind then once and for all,,,the right kitten/s will choose you, and that will be that.

Kazz
16-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Shut up all of you I am tired and going to bed. You know what I mean I am a two cat person and could not have more than three ;) :

There now look I've said it again. :-D ;) :roll:

Luke
16-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I think..a pair, a ginger or black charming tom and a little tortie girl with no white, bur facial markings that look like pansys:)
I would say to judge the situation with time..see how you feel when Smudgley gets back to you..

Elaine

It took me a while but now I see where you are coming from with the 2 cat person but no more than 3.
Oz, Cleo and new cat make 3, right?

Moli
There now look I've said it again. :-D ;) :roll:
Think we understand Kazz, I am a 2 cat person and look at me I now have 5!!!;)

Kazz
16-08-2007, 10:54 PM

Fran you are not supposed to read my posts - just flick through them get the ist and reply not dissect them :roll: you are my friend and I am old and loosing my marbles. ........
.................................................. .........................
......Aggghhh I've lost my marbles....:roll:

Fran
16-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Think we understand Kazz, I am a 2 cat person and look at me I now have 5!!!;)

Yup me too and I have a few more than five ;) :-D

Kazz
16-08-2007, 10:57 PM
It took me a while but now I see where you are coming from with the 2 cat person but no more than 3.
Oz, Cleo and new cat make 3, right?

No wrong with the new possibly new two and Oz and Cleat that makes 5. ;)

Elaine
16-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Now I am very confused indeed, you are all mental:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kazz
16-08-2007, 10:59 PM

Or is that 6?????? No seriously I am a two cat person and cannot see myself witht wo but this time just one odd eh?

Kazz
16-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Now I am very confused indeed, you are all mental:lol: :lol: :lol:

We are not mental - if we were mental we would all be sitting at our computers talking absolute rubbish about cats.....and of course we are not......;) :-D :roll:

Moli
16-08-2007, 11:02 PM
We are not mental - if we were mental we would all be sitting at our computers talking absolute rubbish about cats.....and of course we are not......;) :-D :roll:
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Fran
16-08-2007, 11:02 PM

:smt017 My math's isn't great but how does that make 5????? :?

Kazz
16-08-2007, 11:06 PM
:smt017 My math's isn't great but how does that make 5????? :?

I am joking :roll: Its 7 really.

Fran
16-08-2007, 11:09 PM
I am joking :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too much red wine here Kazz :roll:

dinahsmum
17-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Hmmm, what a shame I missed this illuminating :roll: thread last night. :)
I think the easiest way is two together Kazz. We can't map out the future exactly (ask Rabbie Burns 'The best laid plans of mice and men gang oft tae gae awry' - or similar:? ) and you can't say what the future of this/these one/two/threee kits wil be. Or whether there will be later additions .....
Don't break your brain planning too hard - que sera sera, I think.
Whoever you get will be very lucky.

rustyducko
17-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Decide with your heart, who knows what the future will bring.

Sue x

charliebubs
17-08-2007, 01:59 PM
This is one funny thread ladies - you are all mad!!!! ;)

I, personally, would get two together Kazz. I think that would be better for the cats, as they will have each other. You will never know what the future holds, so you can't plan for it. Just go with your heart. If you fall in love with a whole litter.................take the lot!!! ;)

babycakes
17-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I would get two together just because two who need housing together are harder to house as people only look for one cat at a time (well more often than not) and if you can house two that would be great for those who can't be seperated.

Sorry if someone has said this before and I haven't quoted them to agree but I haven't read everyone's posts

Kay
17-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I would definitely go with 2 (or 10, like me). They are great fun to watch together and are company for each other when the house is empty. I always prefer my babies to go in two's.

random
17-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Having had experience both ways I have found getting 2 together:
They settle in much faster
They are better than any show on tv to watch
They are company for each other so never lonely when you are not around
You can be almost certain they will accept each other readily

However:

They tend to bond more with eath other rather than you
Twice the vet bills for jabs, spaying e.t.c.
Although 2 isn't really any more 'trouble' than one