PDA

View Full Version : the kittens bellies-again!

JBalways2000
16-08-2007, 05:51 PM
So the baby boys went to the vets today. as you may remember their bellies seemed to have settled down last week and then suddenly this week they got worse again and have been having the runs every time they are going the toilet the poor things.

the vet checked them over and said that apart from being a little gassy they were fine and healthy. i was told to get a stool sample from one of them and bring it back so they can test for all sorts of illnesses. once i have the stool sample im to start them on a 5 day course on anti bs(noroclav). im really hoping this clears up whatever is wrong with them because its been going on for far too long. im just glad that they are healthy other then having dodgy tummies!

will update again as soon as i know anymore!

dinahsmum
16-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Poor babies - hope they'll be better soon

Fran
16-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Oh poor babies :( Do hope the stool sample reveals the root of their problems. Please let us know how they go on

dbm_southwest
23-08-2007, 12:56 AM
So the baby boys went to the vets today. as you may remember their bellies seemed to have settled down last week and then suddenly this week they got worse again and have been having the runs every time they are going the toilet the poor things.

the vet checked them over and said that apart from being a little gassy they were fine and healthy. i was told to get a stool sample from one of them and bring it back so they can test for all sorts of illnesses. once i have the stool sample im to start them on a 5 day course on anti bs(noroclav). im really hoping this clears up whatever is wrong with them because its been going on for far too long. im just glad that they are healthy other then having dodgy tummies!

will update again as soon as i know anymore!

Did he advise you to feed them just Chicken and Rice?

Donna
23-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Hope the vets can sort your kitties out - cant be nice for all concerned!

Mags
23-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Poor boys.....I hope they'll be better soon..:(

JBalways2000
23-08-2007, 03:16 PM
thanks everyone.

well i have still been unable to get a sample from them:? i tried to get one over the weekend but i kept missing them going the toilet so i decided to worm them mon-weds and then try again. i rang the vets today to explain why i havent been up with a sample yet and i was told to just get whatever i can so i will attempt to leave them with an empty tray again tonight and hope for the best!

the strange thing was that while i was worming them their bellies got better but as soon as i stopped it went back to normal(well hernie has, but Rhinos are still a little better then they were) i hope the tests show something because im so puzzled by all of this!

oh and i wasnt told to feed just chicken and rice because i had already done that myself and as soon as they start to eat their normal food again(which incidently is burns chicken and brown rice lol) they go back to normal.

does anyone know any illnesses that can cause the runs in kittens other then worms? ive tried to find out on the net but had no luck:?

dbm_southwest
23-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Sounds like our Oscar he was given probiotic powder to add to his water for a week to even out the balance of good and bad bacteria.

He is now 90% sorted out but the vet advised to feed him a sensitive stomach complete food such as James Wellbeloved or anything that is completely 100% natural.

Fran
23-08-2007, 05:47 PM
does anyone know any illnesses that can cause the runs in kittens other then worms? ive tried to find out on the net but had no luck:?

Porsha had a runny bum from when I got her and stool samples revealed she had giardia infection, however a lot of 'bugs' are difficult to pick up in just one random sample.

I found this link about Giardia but there are so many different things it could be. I agree stool samples are a good idea but one random sample may not reveal very much...

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/tonkinesefelines/health_problems_in_cats.htm

whiskey
23-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Sounds like our Oscar he was given probiotic powder to add to his water for a week to even out the balance of good and bad bacteria.

He is now 90% sorted out but the vet advised to feed him a sensitive stomach complete food such as James Wellbeloved or anything that is completely 100% natural.

this is exactly what i was given for my kitten when she had a runny bum but mine was a probiotic paste instead:) she was fine after a dose of it

JBalways2000
24-08-2007, 04:53 PM
hmm, had a look at that link Fran and i dont think thats it but thankyou for posting it.

i didnt get a sample last night or this morning so decided to wait over the weekend now due to it being bank holiday i didnt know if it would get sent to the lab until tuesday anyway now. so i will get whatever i can monday evening and get straight up with it tuesday morning.

if it doesnt clear up once ive given anti bs and the tests come back normal then il definately mention the probiotic to the vet-anythings worth a try at this stage! poor smelly little boys:lol: