PDA

View Full Version : What is British food?

Kazz
15-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Okay people what do you consider to be British food.
Fish & Chips? Bangers and Mash? Roast Beef?

And if you had to serve a traditional British meal what would it be?

yola
15-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Well, we (OH actually) did a proper English roast dinner for our German au pair's Dad when he came over . . . it didn't touch the sides LOL!!! And it fulfilled all his expectations of a traditional 'rosbif' :lol:

So apart from the adopted pizza/pasta/curry/kebab stuff I would say yes, roast dinner almost hits the mark.

But I think the REAL essential English food is something in pastry. Pasties, pies, or suet-based puddings whether sweet or savoury, seem to have been historically part of the English/British staple and continue to have a soft spot with most people.

Fran
15-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Fish and chips and roast beef dinner with Yorkshire pud are the two main things I look forward to when I come home from abroad, so I would say these two!

dandysmom
15-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Since I'm on the wrong side of the Pond, going to stay out of this one! Although from what I've read in the British magazines I've been sent, your food is as cosmopolitan as any in the world now!

babycakes
15-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Traditionally all things that have already been said really. I have heard that Tikka curry was British born???
I actually miss mash potato when I'm on holiday but very rarely eat it?? strange person me though......

Fran
15-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Since I'm on the wrong side of the Pond, going to stay out of this one! Although from what I've read in the British magazines I've been sent, your food is as cosmopolitan as any in the world now!

It is Eileen although certain dishes will always remain a tradition over here I think. Fish and chips being the main one despite the rising prices and lack of supplies of cod!!

dandysmom
15-08-2007, 10:57 PM
I would have guessed roast beef and Yorkshire pudding......

Donna
16-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Roast dinners, fish and chips, shepherds pie are what springs to mind for me.

Erin
16-08-2007, 07:25 AM
A full English fry up,perfect after a night ou on the lash....yummy!!!!!!

dinahsmum
16-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Roast Sunday feast or a 'full English' breakfast i guess (how can anyone move after sausage, bacon, eggs etc etc in the morning!)

MrsH
16-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Definitely a roast, and don't forget a pudding to follow!.....
Rhubarb crumble with loads of custard ( the French go on and on about creme anglaise!) or a really traditional trifle (preferably with loads of sherry!) Can you tell I'm a pudding person? Didn't get this shape by accident :lol:

Fran
16-08-2007, 12:49 PM
:lol: @ MrsH!! :-D