PDA

View Full Version : No of litter trays per cat?

Soupie
14-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Just reading another thread in here and it says that for two cats you should have more than one litter tray. in the last week I have got rid of my second litter tray as it had been used once in 10 days and both cats were using the other tray quite happily.

I "muck out" the poops and wee clumps twice a day and clean the whole tray with disinfectant and replace litter twice a week and the cats seem happy but I wonder whether I should still have a second tray just in case? :?

Any advice? should I have another or is it ok if the cats seem happy ;)

John
14-08-2007, 12:37 PM
I have just been reading the two threads on litter trays...I must be lucky as Millie wont use a litter tray but insists on going outside,

Donna
14-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Well I know that one litter tray for my two cats is not working!!!!

Second litter tray down since last night and it has been used as Chloe was shut in the room with the tray to try to retrain her. She was let out this morning and I have come home at lunch to see it has been used again for both wee and poop now. Am just hoping it is Chloe that is using it and not Misty being sneaky otherwise I will be in another situation!!

My sister has just said to get rid of all litter trays and MAKE them go outside. Another option I suppose!

charliebubs
14-08-2007, 01:06 PM
The general "rule" is supposed to be one tray per cat plus one spare - but for some households this would be too much!!!

I think that if your cats are happy sharing and there are no accidents then it's fine.

Each to their own!!! ;)

As I now have 5 cats, I should have 6 trays according to the rule..................but I have 3/4 and it works fine!!! :)

borderdawn
14-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I have 1 tray, used by 2 of the 5 Cats only, works fine.
Dawn.

Moli
14-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I have 5 cats, one does not use a tray goes outside, Leo has his own tray, and the other 3 share 2 big hooded ones....

sarah5
14-08-2007, 02:55 PM
I have 2 cats and I also read somewhere about having a litter tray each.. so they have 1 each, although they both use both trays!!

dandysmom
14-08-2007, 04:34 PM
When I had 3 cats I had two trays, but they only used one! The upstairs one could go for weeks without usage. Now that it's just Leia I still have the two, but she doesn't use upstairs also.......

Fran
14-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I think the rule of thumb is one tray per cat plus one extra. I have 5 cats that use a tray and 4 hooded litter trays. I manage well without problems. Ria's babies have their own hooded tray.

babycakes
14-08-2007, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=charliebubs;411903]The general "rule" is supposed to be one tray per cat plus one spare

That is the general rule. I think if they are happy sharing then no problem. Mine won't use one unless left alone for a long period of time either.

I would be careful with disinfectant though as cats are allergic to some

charliebubs
14-08-2007, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=charliebubs;411903]The general "rule" is supposed to be one tray per cat plus one spare

That is the general rule. I think if they are happy sharing then no problem. Mine won't use one unless left alone for a long period of time either.

I would be careful with disinfectant though as cats are allergic to some

That's what I said!!!!! :?

whiskey
14-08-2007, 08:23 PM
i have two trays in my house for daisy and twix and the others use it if and when they need too but they they prefer to go outside:)

babycakes
14-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I was agreeing with your statement Charlie

mable1718
14-08-2007, 10:27 PM
i have 3 litter trays to 7 cats because they use outside when it is not raining

Acebikerchick
14-08-2007, 11:30 PM
My two do go outside but i have just moved house so im keeping them in for a bit. I have two trays, one upstairs and one downstairs. They use them both..