PDA

View Full Version : must be mad!!! just joined a gym!!!

EmmaG
13-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Ok, perhaps I have gone slightly mad with this one, but I have today just joined up for a 6 week trial membership at a gym....wish me luck :-D :shock:

dandysmom
13-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Good luck, Emma! You should be in good shape after all your walking; is there anything special you're hoping to accomplish there? You know, like better upper arm strength, or a flatter tummy, etc?

EmmaG
13-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Just generally being more toned and fitter Dandysmom. About 8 years ago I was a gym fanatic, and use to go around 6 times a week and was totally addicted to it. I really miss that level of fitness.

dandysmom
13-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Good for you! You'll be doing the London marathon next!! (This couch potato is tired just thinking of it...)

EmmaG
13-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Nah I am not a runner Dandysmom, walk yes...running no !!! lol

Fran
13-08-2007, 09:50 PM
:shock: Sounds painful Emma!!!! :-D Let us know how it goes!!

EmmaG
13-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I am sure it will be VERY painful for the first couple of days!!! lol

My first day is going to be tomorrow straight after work :) and then I plan to go Monday, Wednesday and Friday after work and also any weekends I can do.

The gym looks really good, a very large mixed gym and then a smaller ladies only gym, they do classes, and also a swimming pool, sauna, steam room etc

EmmaG
13-08-2007, 10:05 PM
double post !!!

Emm
14-08-2007, 09:13 AM
it sounds great! I feel like I'm too unfit at the moment to join a gymn LOL - I've just got those dynabands and I'm trying to build up slowly from there

Donna
14-08-2007, 09:16 AM
All I can say is: YES YOU ARE MAD!!!

yola
14-08-2007, 09:59 AM
LOL!!! I'm hankering after getting back to the gym. I really need that motivation of getting out of the door and doing something rather than promising myself I will do some exercises and then not doing them!!!

Told OH I would like another membership as a Christmas present (he did that a couple of years ago). It works both ways; I feel that he's spent the money so I should use the gift and he has spent the money and therefore can't really complain if he's left to look after the boys as I'm actually using his present!!!

I look forward to hearing how you get on Emma . . . it sounds like you have a nice environment to work out in :D

EmmaG
14-08-2007, 07:12 PM
THANKS DONNA!!!!!!!! lol

Yola you should join up again, well so should anybody who wants to, at the gym today there were all shapes and sizes!! and I stayed in the Ladies only gym :-D

10 mins on the cross trainer
20 mins walking at a reasonable pace on the treadmill, incline at 1 and walking pace of 5.5 mph which I really enjoyed
10 mins on bike
10 mins on recumbent bike

various weight machines.

Really enjoyed today, going back on Thursday and I have my induction on Friday where Adam my instructor will see how fit I am and can tailor my plan :shock: I hope he doesn't make me run on a treadmill!!!! lol

The facilities are so nice, all the machines have TV, music, MTV on them, nobody was taking any notice of anybody else which was nice.

The have a fantastic crèche there as well, if only I had children ;)

They also do a lot of classes, spin, pilate's, yoga etc and also have a nice swimming pool

Fran
14-08-2007, 07:16 PM
It sounds like an excellent gym Emma! The facilities sound great :cool: The thought of a personal trainer would fill me with horror :shock: I think I'd be declared a no hope case :roll:

Hope you enjoy the rest of your sessions :D

Donna
14-08-2007, 07:21 PM
THANKS DONNA!!!!!!!! lol

Really enjoyed today, going back on Thursday and I have my induction on Friday where Adam my instructor will see how fit I am and can tailor my plan :shock: I hope he doesn't make me run on a treadmill!!!! lol

The facilities are so nice, all the machines have TV, music, MTV on them, nobody was taking any notice of anybody else which was nice.

The have a fantastic crèche there as well, if only I had children ;)

They also do a lot of classes, spin, pilate's, yoga etc and also have a nice swimming pool

Gyms fill me with dread. Not the exercise, but more the not knowing what particular machine does what, what I am supposed to do, if I am doing something wrong, and all the other people knowing what they are doing and I dont!!!

My idea of hell!!! But glad you enjoyed it Emma!

EmmaG
14-08-2007, 07:35 PM
lol a good gym should show you have to use the equipment Donna, the instructor today showed me how to use everything (and got me use to a couple of the machines and weights) Most of the machines are VERY easy to use.

Thanks Fran, I just hope that I Friday he doesn't decide to push me too much!!!!

dandysmom
14-08-2007, 08:06 PM
I've never been to a gym; they impress me as being a bit intimidating! I do have a rowing machine and stationary bike at home. not used very often.....:oops:, and some small barbells, which I pretty much gave up on as I couldn't see they were doing anything for upper arm strength.....

EmmaG
17-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Eileen, the gyms are not normally too intimidating, after a day or so you tend to get over that feeling.

Certainly back into the swing of things at the gym now we are back from holiday, so far this month I have lifted 33 tonnes :) and burnt enough calories 36 apples contain :)

dandysmom
17-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow, Emma, well done!!!

EmmaG
17-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks Eileen :) I have definitely got the gym bug !!

Mags
17-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Well done Emma, you're putting the rest of us to shame! :lol:

EmmaG
17-10-2007, 10:18 PM
lol Mags, I have been going to the gym on average 4 times a week ;) going to step up my workout from November, start lifting heavier weights and complete more machines.

Also going to start swimming :)

It is nice that I am starting to see the results, feel so much better, and definitely more toned up.

babycakes
17-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Well done Emma. I joined last week and I love the feeling you get when it's all done.

EmmaG
05-04-2008, 10:52 AM
How are you getting on at the gym Babycakes???

I am managing to go on average three times a week which I am pleased about.

I went yesterday and did a really good workout, burnt 1084 calories :)

Purchased a couple of exercise DVDs, Nell McAndrews and Davina McCall, the Nell McAndrews one is excellent, very tough but fairly easy.

EmmaG
22-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Well I can honestly say that the Nell McAndrews DVD is fantastic!!!!! easy to do, but very tough.

I would give it 20 out of 10!!!!! LOL

Mags
22-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Well I can honestly say that the Nell McAndrews DVD is fantastic!!!!! easy to do, but very tough.

I would give it 20 out of 10!!!!! LOL

So are you getting fit for a specific purpose Emma? Will you be doing another Moon Walk this year? ;)

yola
22-04-2008, 10:26 PM
:(Good to hear the Nell McAndrew DVD is good. I just don't have time for gym visits - work, home and boys conspire to keep me flabby, for the time being at least :(

I will track down that exercise DVD and see if I can get things working here at home - I think I'll manage to find 1/2 hour once or twice a week.

Emma - how I envy you your 'me' time . . .

EmmaG
23-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Mags, unfortunately we didn't get in to do the London Moonwalk this year, but we are now thinking of doing the three peaks challenge (although that might be next year now) so I am not in any training at the moment. I just wanted to get fit again, about 10 years ago I was an avid gym goer and loved it but when we moved there wasn't any good local gyms close by, but now I have found a very good one.

Yola I am sure if you used the Nell McAndrews DVD you will see results quite quickly and there is three different workouts you can do and a bonus one.