PDA

View Full Version : Can of tuna?

sarah5
12-08-2007, 09:02 PM
I am thinking about giving my cats a small can of tuna between them and wonder if that is ok for them? Scrabble is only 18 weeks old though so not sure if he is "allowed" it?

charliebubs
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Hmmmmmmmm - not sure it's a good idea with Scrabble being so young. :? Someone else might be able to say for sure though.

If you do give tuna to the cats I'm pretty sure that tuna in spring water is better than that in oil or brine.

dandysmom
12-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Tuna is high in mercury! I'd be wary of giving it to a kitten; a little bit as a treat for adult cats doesn't bother me: Misty would kill for tuna, and died peacefully at home at 19 1/2......

sarah5
12-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Right.. I think I won't do that then! My children had tuna pasta for tea tonight and Scrabble got on the surfaces and we found him eating the remains :roll: (he is a nightmare for this grr) he was in absolute heaven with the tiny amount he found, so I just was wondering really. I won't bother, they are happy enough as it is :)

Thanks (again!) for your advice x

yola
12-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I don't give my cat's actual tuna, but I give them the spring water that I drain from the can. They've had this from kittens (probably about 20 weeks old), and about once every 2 weeks and it's not done them any harm (they're both 10).

Fran
12-08-2007, 09:42 PM
I feed my adults tuna in oil as an occasional treat but I haven't given it to the kittens. What a I do give the kittens as a treat occasionally and they absolutely go mad for it is.... sardines in tomato sauce - they can't get enough of it ;)

dandysmom
12-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Funny isn't it how they can be about sardines: Misty, the tuna lover, adored them and so does Onyx my black outdoor girl... Leia makes scraping, burying motions around the plate and stalks off indignantly! None of the boys liked them either.....

sarah5
12-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I feed my adults tuna in oil as an occasional treat but I haven't given it to the kittens. What a I do give the kittens as a treat occasionally and they absolutely go mad for it is.... sardines in tomato sauce - they can't get enough of it ;)

Oooh sardines, I will have to try that, gosh I bet they would both go crazy for that! Will try and sort out Scrabbles poorly tummy before I introduce anything new though I think!

Emm
12-08-2007, 10:21 PM
my cats won't eat the tuna in spring water - they don't get it very often probably once or twice in a year - and I have never given it to them as kittens as far as I can remember any way!

dandysmom
12-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't blame them, I don't like the tuna in water either; it doesn't taste right! I know it's better for you, but I buy the imported tuna in olive oil at Whole Foods...a bit pricy but none of the national brands pack in oil anymore, and besides, I rationalize that olive oil is a heart-healthy oil!! :-D

MrsH
12-08-2007, 10:52 PM
My cats don't much like any fishy things so they don't get either sardines or tuna. They prefer a little bit of cooked chicken or lamb. By the way, I didn't even know you could get tuna in spring water! it sounds revolting. I'm with dandysmom on this .... olive oil every time!

dandysmom
12-08-2007, 10:59 PM
My cats don't much like any fishy things so they don't get either sardines or tuna. They prefer a little bit of cooked chicken or lamb. By the way, I didn't even know you could get tuna in spring water! it sounds revolting. I'm with dandysmom on this .... olive oil every time!
Tastes do differ, but I think it's awful! You're lucky to be able to find it; you have to go with imported here in Washington to get it in olive oil! The time I bought some in water by mistake even Misty the tuns lover wouldn't eat it!!! :-D

babycakes
13-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Must admit I waited until mine were one and onto adult food before adding anything to the diets.

Denis eats tuna, sardines, looooves prawns (but not king prawns), white fish (but only the cheap ones, won't eat sea bass), loooooves chicken, any cooked meat but not corned beef, mushroom soup, cheese and onion crisps, Think he's tried most things he is rather spoilt you know

dandysmom
13-08-2007, 03:54 PM
No cheese? Misty, who adored tuna also would kill for chedder......:-D

babycakes
13-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Loves cream cheese but can take or leave ordinary cheese

John
13-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I buy 6 pack tuna in springwater from Asda..Millie loves it.

John >^..^<

kado
13-08-2007, 07:18 PM
None of mine eat tuna they turn there noses up at it. The only fish they get is prawns very occasionaly and fish that we microwave for 3 mintues and they love it but it must be warm.

jane

babycakes
13-08-2007, 09:53 PM
They are soooooooo spoilt arn't they?
I read a while a go in the silent meow that a tip for kittens was to ignore the food offered and then to eat something half dead or walked in so that owners think your starving but couldn't possibly eat the food served unless it was of the highest standard..I wonder how many of us could say that our cats have never done that :lol: and that we hadn't obliged :oops:

dandysmom
13-08-2007, 09:59 PM
They are soooooooo spoilt arn't they?
I read a while a go in the silent meow that a tip for kittens was to ignore the food offered and then to eat something half dead or walked in so that owners think your starving but couldn't possibly eat the food served unless it was of the highest standard..I wonder how many of us could say that our cats have never done that :lol: and that we hadn't obliged :oops:\The Silent Meow ought to be required reading for all cat owners!!! An insight into their psychology......:-D my favorite expression from that book is "When in doubt, wash" .........

babycakes
13-08-2007, 10:03 PM
It is a cracker isn't it. I like the tips for getting around the man of the house. I passed it over to OH and said 'Who's got who wrapped?' He didn't have much to say..but he does love him to bits

charliebubs
14-08-2007, 11:33 AM
\The Silent Meow ought to be required reading for all cat owners!!! An insight into their psychology......:-D my favorite expression from that book is "When in doubt, wash" .........

I've never heard of The Silent Meow. Who is it by? Is it worth a read then? :?

dandysmom
14-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I've never heard of The Silent Meow. Who is it by? Is it worth a read then? :?
Absolutely! The correct spelling is The Silent Miaow, by Paul Gallico; it's a hilarious classic and I'm sure you would enjoy it! If it's not at your library you can probably pick up a used copy quite cheaply on line...Amazon here has one for 99 cents! Do try it!

charliebubs
14-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Absolutely! The correct spelling is The Silent Miaow, by Paul Gallico; it's a hilarious classic and I'm sure you would enjoy it! If it's not at your library you can probably pick up a used copy quite cheaply on line...Amazon here has one for 99 cents! Do try it!

I've just ordered one Eileen. A second hand copy from Amazon for less than £3.00. I shall look forward to reading it on my holiday!!! ;) Thanks for the tip. :)

dandysmom
14-08-2007, 08:40 PM
You're welcome. and do let me know what you think!

Fran
14-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm not a big reader but may order a copy myself :) Do let us know what you think Charlie!

dandysmom
14-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I think you'd enjoy it, Fran; he has the cat's psyche down perfectly,,,I just might get my old copy out and re-read it!

Donna
14-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a good book! Let us know what you think Charlie and Fran (if you get one).

charliebubs
14-08-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm not a big reader but may order a copy myself :) Do let us know what you think Charlie!

Sure will Fran ;)

babycakes
14-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I lent my copy to someone in work now there is a long list for it. Really good read and makes you smile at your cat a lot

dandysmom
14-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I lent my copy when I was working to my boss, who was a cat person, and had a hard time getting it back!! He loved it.....(and could well afford his own copy..:roll: :-D ! )

I Love Simba
15-08-2007, 01:45 AM
The books I've read said not to give human food to cats unless you are doing as a treat but it shouldn't done often. It isn't nutritionally balanced diet for Cats. They are not like dogs, other animals or humans as far as their nutritional needs.