PDA

View Full Version : What to expect when he is neutered?

sarah5
12-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I have always got my cats from the RSPCA AFTER they've been neutered so don't know what to expect when Scrabble goes in a few weeks time.

Will he have to stay at the vets for any period of time or do I stay with him while it's being done?

What will he be like after the op?

Thanks everyone! x

kado
12-08-2007, 08:50 PM
I was wondering the same as well. I know somebody who might take on an older kitten and is willing to pay for his neutering and injections as well. He would even put his own cats into a cattery will the little man recupriates.

jane

borderdawn
12-08-2007, 08:55 PM
There is no recuperation period! All of mine have been absolutely normal when coming home. They dont stitch now, the cut is very small, apart from a bit of tiredness from the anesthetic they should be fine.
dawn.

charliebubs
12-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Sarah, Usually you would have to take him to the vets at about 8am (having starved him the night before) and leave him there for the op. You should be able to go back and get him later that same afternoon.

As Dawn says, there is no recovery period. De-sexing a male cat is very easy compared to a female. There will only be a small wound and no stitches.

He should be back to normal within a few hours. :)
x

sarah5
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh that's wonderful thank you so much for the reassurance and advice I am feeling better about it now! :-D

kado
12-08-2007, 09:11 PM
He his an out door cat when will he be able to go out.

jane

dandysmom
12-08-2007, 09:28 PM
He might be a bit groggy after the anaesthetic so not outside at all the afternoon of the op. . Mine were indoor cats so never faced that problem, but I'd probably keep him in for at least one day; it's a very simple operation, but I tend to worry .....

Fran
12-08-2007, 09:49 PM
All advice you have been given already is excellant. I'd be inclined to keep him in a couple of days after his op but he'll soon be back to normal. It really is quite a routine op for the boys :)

sarah5
12-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Yay sounds great thanks everyone for your great help and advice as always!!

CathyW
12-08-2007, 09:57 PM
mine where both wobbly and very cuddly after their op. but with-in 2 days they where darting about, i kept mine in for a few days (which they hated ) they started to calm down about 6 weeks after the op, spose all their raging hormones had settled down then.
good luck with your little fella op.

MrsH
12-08-2007, 11:12 PM
I don't think Jason even seemed slightly groggy after his little boy op. He wanted to start playing as soon as we got him home again!

Fran
13-08-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't think Jason even seemed slightly groggy after his little boy op. He wanted to start playing as soon as we got him home again!

I think it depends on the type of anaesthesia they use MrsH. At our vets you can pay a little bit more to have this 'safer/non drowsy' anaesthetic. Particularly recommended for the very young and the elderly patients but I always have it if my pets 'go under'

dandysmom
13-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I didn't know that, Fran, thanks!!! The things I learn on Catsey!

Amber
14-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Everyone has already given excellent advice :D

You will probably have to drop him down early in the morning. He will be taken through, any bloods run (if necc) almost straight away and then he should have his pre-med (sedative/painkillers). Operations will probably start after morning consults. The operation takes only minutes, there will be no stitches and a very small incision so you should be able to collect him later that day.

You will probably find he is a bit 'hung over' after the anaesthetic and at our clinic we advise that any animals stay indoors for 48 hours after their anaesthetic, as it takes this long for the effects to wear off fully.

babycakes
14-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Denis wasn't at all bothered following and he is a scardy cat. It is so different from years ago when the cats were affected for days...aww. He did leave little drops of blood where he sat for a few hours following

dandysmom
14-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Good news about Denis, Babycakes!