PDA

View Full Version : He's so clever.................

charliebubs
12-08-2007, 07:51 PM
...........my Bernard has just mastered the art of the cat flap!!!!!!!!!!

Well, out anyway - we've yet to see if he can get back in!!!! lol :roll: :roll:

Such a clever little man. ;)

Erin
12-08-2007, 07:53 PM
what a clever little man he is :)

sarah5
12-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Yay that's fab!!

Jac
12-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Oh clever Bernard!! I hope he gets a treat.

Moli
12-08-2007, 08:29 PM
He will soon get the hang of coming back in...How is he now Charlie??

charliebubs
12-08-2007, 08:39 PM
He will soon get the hang of coming back in...How is he now Charlie??

He's better thank you, Pat.

We're still using the new routine that the behaviourist advised and it seems to be working. He hasn't stopped crying for attention all together - but we're getting there!!! :cool:

dandysmom
12-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Charlie, I've been meaning to tell you: I recently subscribed to a cat newsletter put out by the Veterinary School at Tufts University...there was a question there about a cat's behavior very similar to Bernard's. The Vet said that as cats are highly territorial animals a geographical move can sometimes be very stressful. Anxiety, pacing, howling and nighttime caterwauling are very common symptoms...sound familiar? He recommended two medications that help: amitriptyline and buspirone. I know Bernard's settling a bit now with the tough love treatment, but thought I'd mention this as it might be of interest to anyone having a similar problem.....

Moli
12-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Good to hear he is getting better, he will be happier now he has mastered the cat flap...;)

charliebubs
12-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Charlie, I've been meaning to tell you: I recently subscribed to a cat newsletter put out by the Veterinary School at Tufts University...there was a question there about a cat's behavior very similar to Bernard's. The Vet said that as cats are highly territorial animals a geographical move can sometimes be very stressful. Anxiety, pacing, howling and nighttime caterwauling are very common symptoms...sound familiar? He recommended two medications that help: amitriptyline and buspirone. I know Bernard's settling a bit now with the tough love treatment, but thought I'd mention this as it might be of interest to anyone having a similar problem.....

Thanks Eileen - that is interesting. :D

The behaviourist is also a vet and she did say that she could prescribe a 6 week course of anti-anxiety tablets for Bernard should I want them. I said no, as I wanted to try the change in routine first, but perhaps one of those that you mention is the tablets that she suggested.

If it does come to that, I'll let you know. :)

charliebubs
12-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Good to hear he is getting better, he will be happier now he has mastered the cat flap...;)

He could go out before he mastered the cat flap too - it just meant that I was leaving the kitchen window open, so they could come and go that way!!!!!

I just have to teach the others now too!!! lol :-D

dandysmom
12-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Charlie, this is a very cool newsletter! I just got my first issue; will post anything that I think might me interesting to the members...wish I had a scanner!!!