PDA

View Full Version : I miss my cat

Kazz
11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Now I do not want this thread to turn morbid...;) just a warning.

But I miss my cat the BIG question is do I miss Cleo / Oscar personality wise...they were like comfy shoes I knew and they knew everything I was going to do and vice versa so do I miss just that and will get over it, and leave it be?

Or do I miss having the company of a cat?

1st question; is (and I do not have any answers yet, hence the thread) Do I want to introduce myself to another cat or two (they/he/she would have to really be kitten(s) because of the dogs)

2nd question; if I do, do I get two boys two girls, boy and girl?

3rd (less important)what colour?

If you could start again which is what I am in effect doing, what would you chose, 1 - 2 boys/girls/mix both?

Karen

dinahsmum
11-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Awww Kazz- of course you do ((hugs))

But, to answer your practical questions - take the line of least resistance - 2 boy kittens, maybe 16 - 18 week ones that the CP/cat home are 'stuck' with (grr). So easy, will take only a day to get used to your girls, no problems amusing each other ............................... and be prepared to be amazed. They're different from grown cats you know? (Do you own a pair of shin pads?) :)

Kazz
11-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Okay why 16/18 weeks and why boys? although I know the answer to both I think ;)

Kazz
11-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Okay Smudgley what does your branch have at the moment ....actually scrub that I am on holiday for 2 weeks in Sept so maybe after that middle september?

Jac
11-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Its only natural Kazz (((((()))))) hugs.

It all depends on what you want. Do you want a young kitten? an older kitten (a few months) Do you want a pedigree? I think you were hankering for a Siamese at on time.
You have a blank canvass.

Fran
11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
You are bound to miss your cats, both their individual personalities and also 'just' feline company in general. I do not know what to advise r.e. possible new additions but I do wish you the very best of luck in making your decision

EmmaG
11-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Awww Kazz I know how you feel.

I have never been not never will be without cats. As you know I have one boy (about 8 years old) and a female who is aobut 3 years old. They make a perfect couple and it is great having a female and male cat. As you get the best of both worlds.

I am sure it won't be long until you get some more.

dinahsmum
11-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Okay why 16/18 weeks and why boys? although I know the answer to both I think ;)
16/18 weeks because they get overlooked for the tinier kittens. Also more robust and can survive Staffie love! Boys just because I think they are simpler souls - just want food and loving! Cheaper to neuter and you can get them both done on the same day and they'll be fine next morning.

Kazz
11-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Do you know its just dawned on me ....I am stupid....woudl you like to know why?

Jac
Oh I forgot to say we both know a lovely Lady that has some Siamese kittens at the moment Kazz;)

Erin
lol DM do you own a pair of shin pads :lol:

((((HUGS)))) Kazz

I would get a new cat/cats if I was you.
I would have said to get 2 boys yesterday,my boys have always been more affectionate than Tink,but since she was spayed yesterday she has been really loving and always coming over for a cuddle,hope it continues,so today I say 1 boy and 1 girl.

Good luck coming to you decission Kazz :)

Jac
11-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Do you know its just dawned on me ....I am stupid....woudl you like to know why?

Oh go on tell us Kazz.

Kazz
11-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I'll tell you I/you cannot plan a cat. Jac it would be moggies no better I like Siamese but to many moggies out there for me to get a pedigree. :) and if I plan 2 boys I will fall in love with two girls, etc etc.

So all I need people is names for boys (2) and girls (2) so I am safe.

Karen

dinahsmum
11-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Wanderer?
Cara?
Someone else we know?

Kazz
11-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Oh I forgot to say we both know a lovely Lady that has some Siamese kittens at the moment Kazz;)

But they will be gone when I am ready. Another month or more.

Kazz
11-08-2007, 06:52 PM
No I have not already got them/he/she too soon yet.

But I think maybe two. Just need names and please suggest some - as we all need lightening up a little here :)

dinahsmum
11-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Whats the name you always come up with Kazz? - at Smudgley time etc
Is it Kipling?
Or Knobby or Norman or something? I'm sure there's at least one boy's name that always crops up

Kazz
11-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Kipling but somehow it does not have the same appeal now. How about Elvis as its 30 years, :)

Kazz
11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
I like Watson too. I don;t think I would have problem with boys names but girls names the nicest one is Cleo but she is irreplaceable :(

Erin
Elvis is cool :)

dinahsmum
Here's a 'names' thread
What did you suggest in there?
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=11652&highlight=Names
*goes off to look .... but remembers supper is cooking, so she may not be able to stay :? *

babycakes
11-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I like proper names for animals, Des, Colin, Paddy, But I suppose you have to see the cat to pick a name as their character sometimes is all it takes. We had 2 brothers dumped on the doorstep in a carrier bag (eyes still closed) when I was 12. They got the usual Tiger and Ginger. Then a little boy with big b*llocks came he was called Tinkerballs till he was neutered and then shortened to Tinker. Then Fluffy cos he was and so on. I ummed and arred over Denis' name but he was such a menace as a kitten it was the only thing that fitted him. (was going to be called babycakes, hence my post name)

Kazz
11-08-2007, 06:58 PM
See I like Watson too. This could all be resolved if Smudgley would just pop on and tell us she's JUST had a littler in two kittens - :) or three kittens and one is taken.

dinahsmum
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Watson is FAB
Here he is
http://wwwdogsey.com/pics/6583Watson.jpg

Elvis is nice too - but do you want a girl called Diana? That's 10 years :roll:

Erin
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Kazz didnt she say she still had 2 of stars kittens in tat needed rehoming? I think it was star :?

Kazz
11-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Ah just looked on there and forgot that one Oliver, Ta DM.

Okay people girls names......

dinahsmum
11-08-2007, 07:03 PM
The old fashioned female names - Muriel, Mabel, Violet, Amelia, Sybil etc?

Jac
11-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Kazz just remembered. Alex told me a couple of days ago that her branch had just had kittens brought in. The Mum and kittenss were being looked after at the Vets as there were no fosters.
A possibility?

dinahsmum
11-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Alex fostered Esther and Esme - thought they were pretty names

Erin
11-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Amelia is lovely :)

I really like the old names for cats :)

Kazz
11-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Okay POSSIBLY Oliver or Watson I like both of those.

Maybe Chivers, (ta DM) or Ambrose if ginger.

Merlin if a black.

I need girls names.

Kazz
11-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Hmmm they don't gell but like the old fashined kinda idea though.

Kazz
11-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Oh and if I had my way (thought I don't suspect I will) a tortishell will be my little girl - thanks mostly to Mags Cassey a more beautiful cat I have yet to see.

Erin
11-08-2007, 07:22 PM
how about Faye,tabitha,Millie,Ella,Isabel ?
Just a few I like :)

mable1718
11-08-2007, 07:22 PM
awwwwww ((((((((hugs)))))))))

Kazz
11-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Hmm like Tabitha, ta.

Kazz
11-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Okay how about for girls......Tabitha, Dolly (as in mixture if a torti) Matilda, Poppy, Daisy, Lily, Violet, Peaches, Kizzy,

For boys .....Solomon, Basil, Jasper, Chivers, Watson, Oliver, Merlin, Ambrose.

dandysmom
11-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm not a big fan of prenaming, Kazz. When you get them fitting a name to the personality will be easier; didn't Oscar, bless him, used to be something else until he just looked like an Oscar?
I personally would get two boy kittens...more loving and DM outlined the other reasons above very clearly...but as you say, you may go in thinking one thing and then fall in love with another...
Leia was supposed to be a boy named Taz.....:roll:
Anyway, the right kitten/s will find you... :D

Erin
11-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I love all of those names Kazz,how are going to choose just 2 :lol:

Kazz
11-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Yeah I know Eileen I just thought I would waste (in the nicest sense of the word) some time. Being catless gives you time you would have spent stroking.

And I think a name or two will just jump out as well.

Thanks Erin me too.

sammy
11-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Kazz, you only have to look at my experience at the cattery yesterday to know that you can go with one thing in mind and come away with the total opposite! You get chosen!

Like DM, I like to get to know the cat before I name them - my first 2 ended up with completely different names from what we'd first named them - that taught us a lesson! Which is why I'm taking my time with 'Purdie' - though it's starting to stick!

Unlike others, I've found females to be more affectionate - this one is as soppy as they come. Mind you, she'd chosen us before we even knew her sex!

sarah5
11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Oh they most definitely will chose you lol!!

I looked at loads of kitties in the last month or so, was specifically looking for a blue female (HAD to be female as I am in a housefull of boys - husband, children, hamster, cat, all boys!!). Well guess what.. I went to the RSPCA fosterer home and met a load of 16 week old kittens, all absolutely adorable and fell in love with the most funny and playful one of the lot - a ginger male :lol: :roll: :lol: Needless to say we have him home and are absolutely and completely and utterly in love with him.

Also agree that names come after you have met them, although I like:

Girl: Purdy, Tabitha, Harriett
Boy: Harvey, Thomas, Timothy

dinahsmum
12-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Okay how about for girls......Tabitha, Dolly (as in mixture if a torti) Matilda, Poppy, Daisy, Lily, Violet, Peaches, Kizzy,

For boys .....Solomon, Basil, Jasper, Chivers, Watson, Oliver, Merlin, Ambrose.
All good Kazz. Dolly was our first Staffie (we lived near Parton Road! :roll: :) ) but the Dolly Mixture connection is great!
I think Mouse is a pretty name for a pretty little girl.

dinahsmum
12-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Brainwave! (beware! :-D )
Is this litle boy still looking? http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=22854
He sounds gorgeous! And he would go well with a tortie girl (Dolly) or a passed-over/nobody wants these tux boy.
Naughty Smudgley - not around when she's needed! :)

Emm
12-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I go mainly for boys because they are so much easier to be neutered :lol: I had an horrendous experiance with Confucious - she cost me a fortune in the first week of getting her. The rescue cattery got her neutered and we had to take her right after the operation - I was wanting to wait a couple of days but they said they wouldn't keep her for me - understandable they needed the space. So that cat pulled her stitches out a few times and the vet ended up gluing the wound! :lol: So boys are much easier LOL

I love the names Solomon and Oliver that were mentioned.

Kazz
12-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Where is Smudgley when I need her....come on Kel......where are you hiding woman.

Mind you I am not in a rush so do not mind waiting for the right one or two.

Moli
12-08-2007, 11:07 AM
The right two are out there Kazz, just waiting to pick you...;)

Kazz
12-08-2007, 05:26 PM
The right two are out there Kazz, just waiting to pick you...;)

Yes I suspect they are but the worrying thing is the introduction .....I mean another 24 years that will be almost 1/2 a century with just 2 or 3 cats.:shock: Thats a long long time.......Its the introductions...I mean what if they do not like me :cry: :shock:

Moli
12-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes I suspect they are but the worrying thing is the introduction .....I mean another 24 years that will be almost 1/2 a century with just 2 or 3 cats.:shock: Thats a long long time.......Its the introductions...I mean what if they do not like me :cry: :shock:
They will love you Kazz, you are an animal person, and cats especially know a good one when they meet them;)

Kazz
12-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Yeah I suspect they will - just wait till they get introduced to the sharp stick ;)

Moli
12-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah I suspect they will - just wait till they get introduced to the sharp stick ;)
You still got that??:shock: Would have thought Sal or Tess would have had that by now...:lol: :lol:

charliebubs
12-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Good luck with whatever you decide Karen. I know there are kittens out there just waiting to steal your heart!! :)

I love the names that have been suggested, but agree that pre-naming is a mistake. Now that I have Red at home.........I'm not so sure that "Red" really suits him :? lol

Kazz
12-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Good luck with whatever you decide Karen. I know there are kittens out there just waiting to steal your heart!! :)

I love the names that have been suggested, but agree that pre-naming is a mistake. Now that I have Red at home.........I'm not so sure that "Red" really suits him :? lol

Change it to Rhett, as he is meant to be a heart throb.;)

charliebubs
12-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Change it to Rhett, as he is meant to be a heart throb.;)

Do you know, I did actually think of that!!!! Have also considered Fred, as per Hilary's suggestion ;)

Hmmmmmmmm.............I think I need longer to decide :? lol

dinahsmum
12-08-2007, 07:38 PM
CB, I think Rhett is the most wonderful name - but frankly, my dear, you may not give a damn ;)

charliebubs
12-08-2007, 07:40 PM
CB, I think Rhett is the most wonderful name - but frankly, my dear, you may not give a damn ;)

LOL :-D :-D :-D

I'll try it out and see if it suits him!!! ;)

dandysmom
12-08-2007, 08:01 PM
I like Rhett,,!!! Hope it'll fit him.......

Kazz
12-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I like Rhett,,!!! Hope it'll fit him.......

Frankly my dear....."I don't think he'll give a damn" :-D

charliebubs
12-08-2007, 08:08 PM
You're right Kazz!!!! :)

I've been calling him "Sausage" and he doesn't seem to care!!! lol

smudgley
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Hello.
Only just caught up with this thread.
Right firstly you need to have 2 cats, what's the point in having one? (:-D ) next you need youngsters, as much as you would be willing to adopt an oldie in need, I think you need to have some young bouncy babies around the place. You've been a long time with older cats, it's time for some fun in the Kazz house!
boys or girls, who cares, as long as they are neutered at a young age, it takes away any hormones that are going to cause problems, so that's it sorted.

We'll have 2 babies ready & waiting after your hols, leave it with me & I promise to find you a pair of beauties.

PS - I hate to say this but there is ONE CONDITION?

Kazz
12-08-2007, 09:19 PM
A condition what condition pray tell......you are scaring me now.

smudgley
12-08-2007, 10:00 PM
The condition is that you do not call one of them Nobby :-D

borderdawn
13-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Id make sure you enforce that condition Smudgley!
DAwn.

borderdawn
13-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Boy and girl:
Java and Kenya.
Michael and Belinda.
Harris and Tweed

Girls:
Devon
Paris
Fern

Boys:
Bruce
Chip
Wesley

There will be others.....................

dinahsmum
13-08-2007, 02:12 PM
The condition is that you do not call one of them Nobby :-D
:-D
It could have been worse Kazz - she might have made you hand in your sharp stick :shock:
You'll have to send that off for sharpening, or a re-bore or something :D
(and you could call it Nobby in private - it's a great name!)

Kazz
13-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I like Harris and Tweed but always had a "mindset" of not naming cats - two that follow like Salt/Pepper; Jack/Jill; Cheese/Onion; etc as I always thought if something happened to one early on I would be "always reminded" when I called the other, But I do like the mindset of Harris and Tweed :)

Ta though much appreciated. Keep them coming.

I like the name Nobby too but would not call a cat Nobby how can I stand on the step and shout Nobby at the top of my voice,....Nah.

Ta Karen

Fran
13-08-2007, 06:31 PM
I think with you Kazz, when you see a cat, a name seems to spring into your mind. I'm sure this will be the case when/if you find your new babies :-)

Elaine
13-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Just caught up with this one.
Aww Kazz you are bound to feel the way you do and for all the reasons you put in your first post.
Will look forward very much to the new arrivals and which names you decide to give them.
xxx

Donna
13-08-2007, 07:00 PM
I am glad you are thinking of giving a wonderful home to one or two very happy cats Kazz.

Kazz
13-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I am glad you are thinking of giving a wonderful home to one or two very happy cats Kazz.

Not suo sure about the wonderful bit.:-D

Donna
13-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Not suo sure about the wonderful bit.:-D

I am!! :-D :-D :-D

dandysmom
13-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Me too! ......

Moli
13-08-2007, 08:46 PM
me three...........!!!!