PDA

View Full Version : Windows

Jac
10-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Getting another quote tonight for front windows. You know the problem's with the bedroom one's well were going to do the living room as well. Funny thing is the back of the house has all new windows. The front has the old sash and case. Weird.

yola
10-08-2007, 02:08 PM
You're ripping out sash windows???? :shock:

Jac
10-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Alas were going to have to. The wood is rotten and the windows dont fit the frames. They already have had a double glaze unite fitted (which doesn't work)
The joiner is now coming on Monday. He's going to go over options with us. I really like the old sash and case though. If we can replace them it would be better. Unfortunatly it comes down to fianances. At the moment anyone could climb through. Darryle did it 2 weeks ago.:shock: If we forget to screw the lock on were doomed. I'll take a photo. The two bedroom windows are cracked as well.

Jac
10-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Here they are YUK
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/boxerlass/000_0181.jpg
Can you see a wee face?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/boxerlass/000_0182.jpg

Jac
10-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Nobody want to see my scabbie windows?

charliebubs
10-08-2007, 03:37 PM
LOL...............yes, Jac I do!!!!

Look at Caspurr's little face - what an angel :)

I have to admit that I love the old sash windows. I know how expensive they can be to repair/restore, but it's a shame to lose that character though. :(

Sorry :(

Jac
10-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I know but we have to be practical. There cracked in the bedroom. They dont fit the frame's, there drafty and the secondery pain's that were fitted were put in wrongly (seemingly)
Derek wants to knock out the middle bit and have just two big windows. Not sure I would like that. I think I'll tell him it's about a grand dearer:lol:

Donna
10-08-2007, 03:42 PM
I have an Edwardian house which originally had sash windows (a few houses still do around here).

Mine must of been replaced in the 70s with single glazed windows which had to be replaced again in 2001 when I moved in as they were falling to pieces and dangerous. I have gone for double glazed windows, but as close to sash window look as possible.

Not quite the same, but the 70's windows were useless.

charliebubs
10-08-2007, 03:48 PM
I know but we have to be practical. There cracked in the bedroom. They dont fit the frame's, there drafty and the secondery pain's that were fitted were put in wrongly (seemingly)
Derek wants to knock out the middle bit and have just two big windows. Not sure I would like that. I think I'll tell him it's about a grand dearer:lol:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Don't let him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that you have to be practical, Jac. You're probably spending a fortune on heating the place in the winter if it's that drafty!!! :roll:

Fran
10-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Ah, what a shame about the sash windows Jac :( I love sash windows I had some in my last house. You need to be practical though and I do hope you find a compromise without it breaking the bank!

Jac
10-08-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm going to get the UPVC but get them to make them as close looking to the sash as they can.

I dont want them knocked into one. It looks horrid. There so drafty that the curtains blow and in the bedroom you can feel the draft laying in bed.

yola
10-08-2007, 06:39 PM
There are companies that will rennovate (though it can be a bit pricey depending on how badly decayed they are - but wood is amazingly resilient and can often be quite easily repaired). Still I feel the UPVC manufacturers have done a good job of terrifying people about the actual costs of repair to the point where they just capitulate and tear out the old windows.

I won't go on . . . it is a particular crusade of mine (living in a listed house) but I can be a bit of a bore about it :oops: However, it's not the householders I have an issue with, but the companies who have pulled the wool :mad:

Jac
10-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Well see what the joiner has to say on Monday.