PDA

View Full Version : new suite(?)

MrsH
10-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Seeing Jac's lovely picture of her two on her leather sofa has prompted me to ask your advice. We could really do with getting a new suite, I'm fed up having to wash the loose covers all the time. So, How practical is a leather suite when you have cats? How much damage do the claws actually do?

OH is quite in favour of getting new furniture but adamant that it would be daft getting leather. Is he right?

Jac
10-08-2007, 10:44 AM
OH had a big objection to us getting kittens with a new leather suite. I must say that we have only had one wee claw mark. When I bought the eI took out insurance which covered pet accidents including scratches:D . Once they are a bit bigger I will get any marks sorted.
In my mind much better than loose covers. There was more damage to my other suit where the cats caught the material, on leather there claws seem to slide.
Hope that helps.

MrsH
10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the reply Jac, that's good to hear.

Jac
10-08-2007, 01:10 PM
I got mine in Land of Leather. The insurance was about £200 a bit expencive but it covers everything. From red wint to pet damage. If it cant be sorted they replace your suite. It covers you for 5 years.
I would go back to them. My first suiteI picked wouldn't come in the living room. They couldn'tget it turned. The blokes tryed everything. In the end they phoned up and I was told to go pick another one. No quibbles no problems.

MrsH
10-08-2007, 01:17 PM
That insurance certainly sounds worth it. The last suite we bought wouldn't go through the hall because of a narrow turn, so they had to go round the back, move the bin out of the way, cross the lawn, in through the French window and through the dining room. It was raining as well so then I had to clean the trampled muck off my (light-coloured) carpet!

Donna
10-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I have access problems for suites - I had three delivered before I got the current one in - hallway to narrow and a 90degree turn into the living room. Cant come in the back, so am very limited for choices.

Want a new suite but a) cant get current one out of living room (god knows how it was squeezed in) and b) lack of funds (as always).

Need to find a company that makes smaller suites for access problems really.

Jac
10-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Donna I have the same problem. The turn to get into the living room. We have sash and case windows so no way can one get through them. We have no back door. (remember my house was 2 shops)

I was told to get a suite with reclining chairs as the backs come off. I did that and got the suite in no problem. Our last suite wouldnt come out the livingroom as we had changed the door. We had to break it up to get it out.

Mrs H I would have asked the furnature company for compensation to clean your carpet.

yola
10-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Multiyork do neat, compact furniture but it is a lot more expensive than the sheds.

I have some cat scratches on my leather sofa, I have a hard, dark brown, antique-finish sofa which does show up the scratches initially but then they kind of blend into the overall finish after a bit of time (or maybe I stop noticing them) ;) . OH who's usually a bit of a 'fusspot' over cat damage hasn't really commented . . . all things considered (seeing as cats have accidentally poo'ed, pee'd and puked over the sofa and everything has wiped off), leather is a good choice as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and they completely shredded the arm of my previous fabric sofa and neither cat are really scratchers anywhere else in the house :?

Donna
10-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Its strange, as my cats dont scratch anywhere - except the dining room carpet, which is looking really bad now. Will eventually replace all downstairs with wood flooring I think.

Is there a website for muliyork Yola? Will google!

Donna
10-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes found the website, and they do do sofas that can be dismantled for ease of access - but bit out of my price range to be honest!!!

My last two sofas were cheapy cheerfuls from Argos :oops:

Donna
10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
I sent an email enquiry to dfs regarding smaller suites or suites for limited access and their reply came back promptly..

Hello and thank you for your enquiry and your interest in DFS.

We have a wide number of suites which can have the arms removed for delivery and any of our recliner suites come in sections for delivery.

We would recommend that you visit your local store to view the ranges and discuss the access with any of our sales team.

Kind regards

DFS

Jac
10-08-2007, 06:39 PM
That's what I had to get. Recliners to get them in. I love them!

Fran
10-08-2007, 06:40 PM
One of my cats has a leather fettish :? She has totally ruined our new £200 leather headboard :( Up until this happening we were considering getting a leather suite but that has gone on hold for the time being!!! :roll:

dinahsmum
11-08-2007, 09:23 AM
On the other hand we've had (the same) leather sofas for years - maybe 10? certainly a long time - and none of the cats has gone near them. I mean attempted to scratch on them - they are happy to sleep on them!
(I am impressed at how much my (young) boys use their scratching posts though - have never used them in the past but would recommend to all)