PDA

View Full Version : Yola

Emm
08-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Just wondering how you are feeling today? You had mentioned about being really poorly the other day - hope you're feeling better soon

yola
08-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Aw Emm - that's really sweet of you to ask, thank you!

I used to get attacks of vertigo about 10 years ago, then they went away but seem to have come back a bit recently. They're really debilitating; sometimes it's so bad I can't even lift my head off the pillow as everything is swimming so badly.

It has all but passed for the moment, I still feel a little 'detatched' and hands and feet feel a bit remote but MUCH better than Monday.

Emm
08-08-2007, 11:58 AM
do you know why you get it?
last November it started for me and I was pretty much bed ridden for a couple of months with it I had antibiotics and anti dizzy tabs but none of it worked - thats why I lost my job - they did not believe it was that bad - infact my boss walked into the staff room when I had taken one of the attacks and walked past me and said hows everything - I'm clinging to the table thinking this is the end it was so bad - and I said I'm taking a really bad dizzy attack - he just said oh lordy lordy and walked away! I never went back!

they reckoned it could have been labrynthitis - but I still get moments of taking dizzy turns and that spaced out feeling and my hands and feet feel real weird. I can't walk into supermarkets or shopping malls or walk down busy high streets. I haven't been out of the house on my own since it - cause I'm so scared it will happen again - and people will just stop and stare at me like the last time!

oops sorry for the novel LOL

yola
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Emm, sorry to hear you're getting this too. My attacks used to be really bad; off work for 3 days in a row usually every 3 - 4 weeks apart. Thankfully my then employers were more understanding than my OH (even though it has happened to him on several occasions too) :mad: , sorry to hear too that your employers were unpleasant about it too.

I had tablets then that I swallowed, but since then I found some that you put between your top lip and your gum and they slowly disolve. These usually only take one tiny tablet (and about 1/2 a day) before the fog of dizziness starts to lift.

I was told the condition is caused by a virus in the inner ear that is effectively dormant but will periodically flare up. It's linked to things like motion sickness which also affects the tiny 'fingers' in your ear that help you gauge which way is the right way up!!!

mable1718
08-08-2007, 02:33 PM
im glad your feeling better yola

Emm
08-08-2007, 02:38 PM
yeap my OH isn't always that sympathetic either!

I might ask the doctor about those tablets that disolve on your tongue.

I get very bad motion sickness! I can't use lifts - I also strangely cannot go on a treadmill because of it either - even those escaltors can make me off balance :lol: what do I sound like - if I was an animal they would have me pts:lol:

glad to hear though you are feeling better just now. Its also quite comforting to hear some-one else with similar symptoms!

yola
08-08-2007, 02:45 PM
I might ask the doctor about those tablets that disolve on your tongue.

I get very bad motion sickness! I can't use lifts - I also strangely cannot go on a treadmill because of it either - even those escaltors can make me off balance :lol:

This is the tablets: Prochlorperazine Maleate Buccal (Buccastem) . . .

And yup, me too - I HATE lifts for that reason (tricky not to use when you have a pushchair . . . ) and used to avoid the treadmill at the gym like the plague :(

dandysmom
08-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Yola. I'd never heard of this problem that you and Emm have; it must be quite difficult to cope with..... (((hugs))) to you both....

Emm
09-08-2007, 10:59 AM
This is the tablets: Prochlorperazine Maleate Buccal (Buccastem) . . .

And yup, me too - I HATE lifts for that reason (tricky not to use when you have a pushchair . . . ) and used to avoid the treadmill at the gym like the plague :(

thanks for that!

that must be real difficult - I never thought about that having to use a push chair. I totally thought I was a freak by not being able to use the treadmill - I did used to try but then it would take so long to recover from it - you have made me feel so much better about it.